230 Bhp Vrs

Nope. You cannot buy keyless entry or power tailgate to Cupra. RS also has much nicer interior.

Given the security issues with keyless I wouldn't choose to have that anyway.

Agree interior looks better.

• Like 1

The Cupra 280 ST has all that the VRS 230 has and can be bought at a lower price via a broker.

Incorrect I'm afraid. £24,068 for the ST Cupra plays £23,200 for the Octavia 230 via DTD and Gbcars are just about to add it to their discount list with a larger discount apparently. In terms of the Cupra having everything the 230 has? Electric seats? Nope. Full leather seats? Nope. Heated seats? Nope, not unless you pay for the optional winter pack, some of the visual black bits? Nope, additional cost within the black line option, park assist? Nope, don't even think that's an option on the Cupra as per auto opening boot and a couple of other minor ones.... Then there's the usual argument of a bigger overall car - rear accommodation and boot usability noticeably so. The Seat dash also has some inferior switchgear and plastics imo. So as much as I like the Cupra, the statement isn't fair to make. :)
  • Like 3

Incorrect I'm afraid. £24,068 for the ST Cupra plays £23,200 for the Octavia 230 via DTD and Gbcars are just about to add it to their discount list with a larger discount apparently. In terms of the Cupra having everything the 230 has? Electric seats? Nope. Full leather seats? Nope. Heated seats? Nope, not unless you pay for the optional winter pack, some of the visual black bits? Nope, additional cost within the black line option, park assist? Nope, don't even think that's an option on the Cupra as per auto opening boot and a couple of other minor ones.... Then there's the usual argument of a bigger overall car - rear accommodation and boot usability noticeably so. The Seat dash also has some inferior switchgear and plastics imo. So as much as I like the Cupra, the statement isn't fair to make. :)

230 still £24,251 on DTD at the moment but fair play on the comparisons. St also has a lot that 230 doesn't as well.....

230 still £24,251 on DTD at the moment but fair play on the comparisons. St also has a lot that 230 doesn't as well.....

Of course it does and imo, overall it's a better drive and potentially better value if you don't need the outright space the VRS offers... The estate is priced at £24k iirc, your comparison was the ST, on this non estate specific 230 thread. It's a difficult one. Nicer interior and more space but loose out on some horses and handing sharpness.... Better refinement v's sharper looks... Hmmm.

You could get a stage 1 remap on the 230 and that would put it on par with Cupra in terms of power as well.

and then you could do likewise on the Cupra, really taking advantage of its bigger turbo, for 340ps+ and 330+ lb/ft torque! ;) Quite epic gains!

How do they offer a price on a car that the dealers barely know about. How would that price be financed. Would it be on a 0% deal?

Sound is lower and bigger. Check this:

Sounds as though it needs putting into a workshop to be looked at! Or is it just me?☺️

Edited by Sarge

How does that compare to the standard vrs.

To be honest part of me wishes I had waited for this - the part that likes the black extremes and extra standard equipment.

But then common sense takes over as I will be collecting my vrs next week and whilst I will have 10 horse powers less and leather seats would have been nice I am better off for it and I really doubt that in real world driving I am not going to notice a great deal of difference.

Too late to worry now though and still can't wait to collect mine! Plus mine will have a couple of toys that I would have had to go without if I had got the 230.

Edited by RobbySpurs

How do they offer a price on a car that the dealers barely know about. How would that price be financed. Would it be on a 0% deal?

That price includes taking the 0% PCP deal and getting a £500 deposit payment from Skoda.

Was surprised to see it on DTD if it is limited to 500 as suggested.

Sound is lower and bigger. Check this:

Sounds a bit raspy and not a lot better than the 220. I am tempted to stick a Miltek exhaust on my tsi 220 though!

Nice to see this car is being marketed with the mythological LSD diff that doesn't actually exist lol.

?? Mythological ?? It's the same as the one fitted to the Cupra (which I've driven extensively) and the Golf PP (which I've not!) Absolutely brilliant bit of kit; easily the best and most beneficial 'real world' bits of kit on the 230. :)
  • Like 1

As I said, mythological. None of these cars have a LSD, what they have is closer to a traction control but certainly no LSD. Drive a car like I have that does have a LSD then you will see what a real one will and can do. Compared to the standard setup it probably does offer benefits, it's the fact they say it has a LSD when none of these cars do.

As I said, mythological. None of these cars have a LSD, what they have is closer to a traction control but certainly no LSD. Drive a car like I have that does have a LSD then you will see what a real one will and can do. Compared to the standard setup it probably does offer benefits, it's the fact they say it has a LSD when none of these cars do.

Not sure I follow. When you say 'it probably does offer benefits' I'm guessing that means you've not tried it? I'm very used to lsd's on fwd cars, the most aggressive (mechanical type) was the Quaife one in my mk1 Focus RS setup. The main difference with the vag unit is that it's an electronically controlled (just like the Ferrari setup) - hydraulic setup with a multi plate clutch which brings advantages, namely, it doesn't corrupt the steering as much but is almost as effective in what it's achieving. It's also able to put a full 100% of the torque to one side if need be and you can feel it pulling you in and round the bend at the point where non equipped cars would start to understeer. Stick the Cupra in Cupra mode and the diff gets more aggressive and feels very similar to my previous proper mechanical lsd's. It feels brilliant on real tight turns and in the wet. And if it's like that in the 280ps fwd Cupra it will be even more than adequate for the VRS 230! Hence I wondered what you meant by 'mythological'... and still do.

Of course it does and imo, overall it's a better drive and potentially better value if you don't need the outright space the VRS offers... The estate is priced at £24k iirc, your comparison was the ST, on this non estate specific 230 thread. It's a difficult one. Nicer interior and more space but loose out on some horses and handing sharpness.... Better refinement v's sharper looks... Hmmm.

230 is £21740 on Forces cars direct.... Only trouble is you have to be in HM Forces or Police, Diplomatic service etc.

Not sure I follow. When you say 'it probably does offer benefits' I'm guessing that means you've not tried it? I'm very used to lsd's on fwd cars, the most aggressive (mechanical type) was the Quaife one in my mk1 Focus RS gearbox. The main difference with the vag unit is that it's an electronically controlled (just like the Ferrari setup) - hydraulic setup with a multi plate clutch which brings advantages, namely, it doesn't corrupt the steering as much but is almost as effective in what it's achieving. It's also able to put a full 100% of the torque to one side if need be and you can feel it pulling you in and round the bend at the point where non equipped cars would start to understeer. Stick the Cupra in Cupra mode and the diff gets more aggressive and feels very similar to my previous proper mechanical lsd's. It feels brilliant on real tight turns and in the wet. And if it's like that in the 280ps fwd Cupra it will be even more than adequate for the VRS 230! Hence I wondered what you meant by 'mythological'... and still do.

What I mean is, there is not actual LSD in the gear box. What the cars you mention from previous post have a type of breaking system on each shaft, outside the gear box, this has nothing to do with diff. That is more of a traction control than a diff. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it doesn't work, I just don't like the fact they are lead people to think the cars actually have a LSD.

What I mean is, there is not actual LSD in the gear box. What the cars you mention from previous post have a type of breaking system on each shaft, outside the gear box, this has nothing to do with diff. That is more of a traction control than a diff. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it doesn't work, I just don't like the fact they are lead people to think the cars actually have a LSD.

I might be on thin ice, but since when has the LSD been in the gearbox?

I might be on thin ice, but since when has the LSD been in the gearbox?

The differential on a fwd car is the last component of the gear train inside the box. It's what the drive shafts are connected to where they poke into the gearbox.

As for Is the 230 LSD a LSD or not surely anything that can lock both wheels drive together progressively is? My wife's mx5 has a torsen LSD which is excellent and my previous mx5 had a viscous clutch type LSD, now isn't the vag one just an electric version of a clutched one which is controlled by a computer? Still in the gearbox working like a LSD but it has a brain to control it, not a few set mechanical limits and this is probably better for all round driveability and tyre wear(torsen one in the wife's mx5 kills rear tyres)

Edited by V6Jules
  • Like 1

The differential on a fwd car is the last component of the gear train inside the box. It's what the drive shafts are connected to where they poke into the gearbox.

As for Is the 230 LSD a LSD or not surely anything that can lock both wheels drive together progressively is? My wife's mx5 has a torsen LSD which is excellent and my previous mx5 had a viscous clutch type LSD, now isn't the vag one just an electric version of a clutched one which is controlled by a computer? Still in the gearbox working like a LSD but it has a brain to control it, not a few set mechanical limits and this is probably better for all round driveability and tyre wear(torsen one in the wife's mx5 kills rear tyres)

That's exactly how I see it. Same effect but a different way of achieving it. All I know is, in the Cupra, it's very effective.
  • Like 1

Went to local stealers today to price up a 230 and place an order (for a keen deal).

I'm coming from a position of a reliable, well kept and affordable Blackline therefore the deal for a 230 has to be a good one (quite happy to keep the Blackline if need be).

Armed with both a CAP valuation (free from Ford website btw) and DTD discount price the negotiations began.

The stealer was shy of my ideal CAP trade-in price by £500 and after revealing the DTD price they said that the 230 did not qualify for the zero% PCP deal nor the £500 contribution (which I do not believe) and so they did not offer this contribution.

Therefore, I had to walk but was happy to talk further if the PCP £500 magically appears for the 230.

If any other Skoda dealers are reading this post and are interested in potentially doing a cheeky wee deal- Blackline as trade in and me purchasing a 230 white manual estate then send me a PM.

Not looking for the earth but have done my homework and know what the cost to change is achievable.

Thanks for reading.

That's exactly how I see it. Same effect but a different way of achieving it. All I know is, in the Cupra, it's very effective.

I would have specced it without a doubt if It was an option extra when I bought mine or the 230 was available.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm getting old because I think with 35 profile these tyres are too low for me. :) Thanks to Finnish laws it's illegal to put 40 or 45 profile tyres to 19" wheels. Tyre size is defined in the registration... :dull: So I've to go for 18" alloy and wheels to get 40 or 45 profile.

Edited by john999boy
Non freedom advert removed

Just had this bulletin from Skoda UK;

'We are pleased to announce the introduction of a new and exclusive Octavia vRS 230. The production of this model is limited to 500 vehicles.

This model boasts an increased power output of 230PS and features an electro-mechanical front locking differential along with increased specification over the normal vRS. The first vehicles will be arriving in September, coinciding with the opening of ordering for customers.'

Standard specification will include;

19'' Xtreme Black alloy wheels

Amundsen satellite navigation system

Auto-dimming rear view mirror

Black design door mirrors and front grille

Black roof rails (Estate only)

Black gloss exhaust tailpipes with sports sound

Black decorative inserts

Black vRS badging on front and rear

Colour Maxi DOT trip computer with Lap Timer

Door sill trim with black vRS logo

Electric door mirrors with boarding-spots and memory function

Electrically adjustable driver's seat with memory function

Electro-mechanical front locking differential

Park assist

Sunset glass

vRS Sports seats in leather with red stitching

Heated front seats

Exclusive 230 decal on side sill

Octavia vRS 230

Recommended OTR

Hatch

2.0 TSI 230PS

£26,350.00

2.0 TSI 230PS DSG

£27,740.00

Estate

2.0 TSI 230PS

£27,550.00

2.0 TSI 230PS DSG

£28,940.00

:-)

nothing on the skoda uk web site?  looked at the skoda uk twitter also and couldnt see anything there.  its also not on the cap data or the skoda uk configurator either.

where did you get this information?