CarWow - thought and opinions

What are peoples general thoughts on CarWow and any participating dealerships?

My car has dropped like a stone in value (thanks Skoda) so I'm really in no position to change the car right now but I thought I'd take a look and speculatively get some pricing on cars I'd be interested in changing it for.

V quickly I've had some pretty good offers and its made me think immediately that I've been a bit naive being loyal to my what was) local dealer for the past few years, accepting good finance deals and v little discounts (perhaps stronger trade-ins on my cars though) and not shopping around/driving a bargain.

I suppose id like to hear of others experiences of it and are there any pitfalls...or is it v much a no brainer.

I'm sort of thinking that its targetting people perhaps without a trade-in....either you get pretty rubbish/trade money for your vehicle given the margin youve negotiated on the new perhaps??

Was quite surprised that I can seemingly negotiate a better discount on a GTD or Leon FR ST 184 than I can a vRS TDI estate......may well be the last Skoda I buy!

Pipsyp, I used them to get one of my local dealers to price match, I got £1,730 or 7.85% off the petrol version of yours in Q4 2013

Gotta think your right about the trade in though, they've gotta have their pound of flesh somewhere along the line.

Although not Carwow or a MKIII, I used a broker to purchase my MKII Octavia Scout 2.0TDi. Approx £22.5-23k at the dealers with a few extras (metallic paint, side airbags, spare wheel etc). Dealers quite literally told me to do one when I asked for discount.

Broker price £18.6k. Order was placed late March and delivered to Horton's in Lincoln in late June.

Unless dealer/salesmen attitude change, all my future new car purchases will be via a broker.

Fin

Petrol 1.4TSI DSG Combi - Q1 2014

CarWow discounts were around the 8% mark. Local dealer matched and I also got +£500 more than I was expecting for the p/ex. So guess what - they got the business.

So CarWow worked OK for me.

The comments about using brokers is amusing.  They usually supply cars via official Skoda dealers, so dealers who say thery cannot match a brokers price may be being a bit economical with the realities of life.

Also used CarWow recently for the supply of a new Citigo for SWMBO. Got some pretty good offers which I didn't follow up as she changed her mind!

I used example quotes from Carwow and drivetehedeal to get a 13% discount at my local dealers and a very good px price. Petrol VRS,taken delivery today.

Carwow gave me discounts of between £2.5K to £3.5K on a vRS estate (with a few options) on a list price of £27500. So around 12-13% which seemed pretty good.

The downside was the trade-in values offered for my part exchange (a 57 plate vRS hatch with 75k miles) which were generally £1 to £1.5K less than I could get with webuyanycar.com

Carwow was great to get an idea of the figures and discounts potentially available. Ultimately I bought elsewhere.

Carwow gave me discounts of between £2.5K to £3.5K on a vRS estate (with a few options) on a list price of £27500. So around 12-13% which seemed pretty good.

The downside was the trade-in values offered for my part exchange (a 57 plate vRS hatch with 75k miles) which were generally £1 to £1.5K less than I could get with webuyanycar.com

Carwow was great to get an idea of the figures and discounts potentially available. Ultimately I bought elsewhere.

So Carwow would also part exchange? I didn't realise any broker did that!

If the initial discount was adequate enough then why didn't you just sell your old car to webuyanycar.com and buy the new one from Carwow? I'm sure there's an extremely good reason that I can't quite figure ATMIT though. ;)

I used carwow prices to get a better discount at my dealer. The dealer had given me a price through carwow (different contact name) but it was about 2% off target - happy to say the dealer met my expectations of what I wanted. Also had drive-the-deal quotes which were a couple of % more off too. First new car I had ever bought and was happy with the dealer (compared to others I'd talked to), had it been my 10th I'd have probably taken the broker route.

So Carwow would also part exchange? I didn't realise any broker did that!

If the initial discount was adequate enough then why didn't you just sell your old car to webuyanycar.com and buy the new one from Carwow? I'm sure there's an extremely good reason that I can't quite figure ATMIT though. ;)

CarWow are merely a dating agency. They pass on quotes from dealers and the dealers will offer a p/ex directly to you if required.

In my experience WeBuyAnyCar may offer a good price on line but may offer a price a lot lower once they have viewed the car. They offered me a silly low price on a Mk2 Octavia 2.0 PD in excellent condition with low mileage after viewing it. Dealer p/ex easily beat what they offered.

• Like 2

Has anyone used the negotiated discount to buy themselves out (either majority or in full) of a neg eq PCP and pay near enough the right money for the car.

Im of the mind even if so its not worth it and will continue running the car for another 6-12 months perhaps and see what the state of play is then.

All I will say is Ive been offered a few v strong deals on the Leon, knocks the vRS offers out of the park.

• Administrators

Disclaimer: Close friend works here: https://findsyoucars.com/?utm_source=briskoda&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=affiliate using this we the site does get a small payment.

Related Goal : Trying to put a local SKODA dealer 'briskoda' prices system together, it's been on my ideas wall for a long time as a TODO.

Ultimately, everyone has to eat. so what you save in one place you pay in another. I remember buying a car used to be expensive, but servicing wasn't too bad...

• 2 weeks later...

I found the Skodastore price cheaper than the carwow price (Have an Octavia on order with them at present being built next week) and part was reasonable as well.

Local Dealer near me wouldn't match and said they would make a loss if they did so they must get a Volume discount which my local dealer doesnt.

At the end of the day, carwow just contacts dealers for pricing whereas the bigger brokers - broker4cars, drivethedeal etc have pre arranged terms and pricing so its always better than carwow quotes from experience. Car wow dealers are coming in with around 2.5k off the above VRS so that's half the saving of the above example. :)

I tried car wow and got some good deals, or so I thought.

Tried getting a quote off Skoda store today and was around 1.5k cheaper than the cheapest on carwow.

Just tried drive the deal which is giving me even 1k cheaper than Skoda Store.

Any other brokers worth trying?

I bought my last car in 2012 through drive the deal...

Carfile and coast2coast seem a tiny bit cheaper than DtD, although DtD has the strongest brand name so if there's only a few quid in it you might want to stick with them as you used them before!

Or ask all of them where their dealer is and pick the one closest to you :)

I found brokers4cars to offer the best deal when I was looking at an octavia and Leon. Car wow were a couple grand dearer. Ended up buying a used Leon in the end. The quotes on car wow for the Leon looked a good saving at first glance but they were adding the price of the technology pack (which is free) onto the discount artificially inflating the discount by almost £2k!