Thoughts after a month of ownership (3.6 AWD DSG estate)

Well, just on a month in I`d thought I'd note down some initial thoughts of ownership...

Chassis, engine, gearbox are sublime. Power delivery safe, sure and instant. Hell, it has a Porsche engine in it (I know…but it is used in the Cayenne/Panamera…let me send up the link with the marque in a Skoda!)  I realize that mine has been uprated from new (40mm drop at front, 35 at rear, uprated ARBs etc) but that 3.6 is an amazing unit - returning between 28-32 mpg currently (no thrashing, based on daily 15 mile commute on A roads).

Gadgets and Gizmos:

I am a sad man in many ways and reading my PDF owners manual on my Mac from front to back has been a fun and busy time. Yet to set up bluetooth connection with my phone but discovering so many useful (and totally unnecessary) tricks and tips.

Highs:

Discovering that I had the ‘hidden’ tow hitch was a bonus. 

Rear loadspace massive.

Pano roof sublime. 

Uprated stereo with multi CD, power amp etc great.

Sat Nav great although will look into upgrading firmware/maps.

De-badged with `new`logo badges front and back - folk are not sure what it is…

Getting family in and out easy - big open access doors with acres of room front and back.

Long Haul run over 1500kms fully loaded was easy and quick. Kids did not complain (or wife!)

Mediums:

Speakers good BUT I need to add some decent sound deadening behind I think (although maybe playing with the system EQU setup/surround will help).

Seats are good but despite all electric/lumbar adjustment still struggling to find that `perfect`seat position.

Lows:

Some elements of external brightwork and trim are a little lacklustre quality wise - but then again where else is the Skoda team going to scrimp on costs?

No full size spare or tools….

Front end catches on things on occasion...

Need to retro fit front parking sensors...

Conclusions

The car lacks for nothing really - and everything seems to work fine. I love driving it and when the roof is open and you bury your foot in the carpet in a tunnel or built up are (sorry officer) the noise is drug inducing as is the movement forward.

VERY pleased with my used purchased and love the fact that it is not an established `brand' insomuch as it's a Skoda and better for it in my opinion. 

I`ve driven/owned many cars over the years but I have to confess that this combination of high performance car/estate/4x4 is the most fun/value I have experienced in quite a while - it is genuinely a car for all seasons/driving times. The closest that I have owned to it previously was a series one Subaru QuadCam Turbo Legacy estate in the early 90's.

Well done Skoda - impressed. Shame its the last of the line (big front engined AWD beast).

Dave.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just done a 2500 Kim's trip from near Geneva to Perpignan, Barcelona and back. Car ran faultlessly four up with kit.

Good?

Lights - amazing at night - did quite a bit of night-time driving and they are superb ;) Cornering light option really useful on B road bends. I still love the way they do their 'cross eyed, dip and smile' routine when you start up. My own Transformer waiting to happen :D

Comfort and speed with quiet.

Boot huge. Electric opening/close a dream. Must get the interior button re-set to offer closure too.

Niggles?

Fuel gauge (twice) reverted to '0' for no apparent reason when driving along. Stop, start and back to correct reading. Weird.

Upgraded suspension really good but at speed when you hit motorway 'joins' etc you can really feel the 'bump'!

Mines got 4 wheels......im happy.....lol

Only a 1.6tdi so needs a bit of whipping on hills but 57mpg avg so far means im saving loads

What would I like from previous cars?

Not much

Front screen de-icer

Boot unlatch button on dash

Cruise controls on steering wheel not behind it

• Like 1