RNS315 - VW vs Skoda

I have been (and still am) looking for an Amundsen unit to go into my Fabia Monte Carlo but have been getting limited results as I want DAB radio and bluetooth.

I was initially told that all RNS315 units have built in bluetooth but this has been contradicted by others (including sellers of Skoda Amundsen units) .  Anyone know for certain or what I should check to confirm.  

If I search a well know auction site, there are lots of VW RNS 315 head units - are these also plug and play with a Skoda?  If not, what are the differences and potential install issues?

Thanks 

Logos, LED button colours, display colours (varies between Seat, VW and Skoda). To ensure bluetooth is included you need to have a populated MAC address sticker (check a post I made a few weeks back as a member here has pictures of his head unit with no bluetooth).

yes correct as above, when looking to buy one, look out for the MAC sticker on the side, if its 00:00:00 etc, then no bluetooth built in. DAB is easy to spot with an extra black connector at the back of the unit. Look out on ebay, these do pop up but sometimes sellers do not know the full spec - salvage yards etc.

VW Seat models have the red backlight and all menus are black/red where as the skoda is green/black.

Other stuff to know about RNS315

You cant update the maps without paying for an official once only SD card (expensive!!)

and you cant load a Safety Camera database on it.

It has got loads of good stuff going on but if I didnt have it as factory fit I never would have bought one.

Go for RNS510 instead, bigger screen, doesnt have same limitations.

Edited by camelspyyder

Other stuff to know about RNS315

You cant update the maps without paying for an official once only SD card (expensive!!)

and you cant load a Safety Camera database on it.

It has got loads of good stuff going on but if I didnt have it as factory fit I never would have bought one.

Go for RNS510 instead, bigger screen, doesnt have same limitations.

Dos the RNS510 have built in bluetooth? 

It doesn't.

However, it's very simple to add the wiring and module required to add bluetooth to a RNS510.

It may be simple but it is also an expensive option!  Which is why I want the intergrated unit

It may be simple but it is also an expensive option!  Which is why I want the intergrated unit

Sure, I'm not advocating one or the other, just letting you know that it's possible to get either working with bluetooth :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would the VW RNS 310 / 315 units fit a facelift vRS?

I'm looking for something very similar to the op, but am also running into the issues where the DAB/Bluetooth options aren't always there, so was considering the VW unit instead of the Skoda one as they all seem to have these features.

I have the RNS 315 with Bluetooth it works well you will require a mic for it though, get the ome mic it fits in the roof light , then you run the cable down the front window pillar and remove the glove box to rout the cable to the back of the set.

There are several on that site with BT and didgital

Edited by skippy41

Would the VW RNS 310 / 315 units fit a facelift vRS?

i have fitted VW RNS315 with BT into my Rapid. It works well with minor "limitation"..look here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/352321-humble-request-for-those-who-have-amundsen-and-bluetooth-fitted/ ..still trying to figure it out (maybe sw update will help)

Ok RNS315 identification.....

The units all come with SDCard and navigation. A combination of the following are available

1) DAB. Identified by looking for a round, black, connection on the back.

2) Bluetooth. Identified by a sticker on the side with a MAC on it. The MAC *MUST NOT BE* 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00. Some units were shipped with Bluetooth on-board, but disabled (There's a thread in here about Blacklines being that way.)

3) RVC interface. Identified by a 26-pin rectangular connector on the back. This reqiures a bit of work to make work properly, but very useful once installed ;)

You will need the mic to use the Bluetooth. (Readily available)

You will need a separate aerial to use DAB. DABonwheels do a cracker for about £20. The DAB has fall-back funtionality, depending on radio station. So if you're listening to Radio 2 on DAB and lose the DAB signal, it will use the FM signal instead. This will not work for DAB only channels.

Amundsen is based on RNS30

Amundsen+ is based on RNS315

These titles have no bearing on the actual features installed.

The logos are different, depending which car it was originally in. Cannot be changed.

Amundsen/+ buttons glow green, RNS310/315 glow red.

Maps are stupidly expensive to upgrade.

Unlike Columbus/RNS510 (which does BAP and DDP), the 310/315 is DDP only, so no MaxiDot display stuff either.

And the units in the MKIII are completly different to the units in the MKII, they only share the name.

Edited by RainbowFire
  • Like 1

Unlike Columbus/RNS510 (which does BAP and DDP), the 310/315 is DDP only, so no MaxiDot display stuff either.

The RNS310/315 are BAP only. Otherwise I think you're pretty spot on :)

Also worth pointing out that no RNS310 will have BT/DAB/RVC capabilities built in.

RNS310 is DDP, RNS315 is BAP (as far as I can recall...).

My FL came with a RNS310 from the factory so they definitely supports BAP as it worked with the maxidot. Don't recall an option to switch it into DDP via VCDS either.

Apologies for thread interjection. I have the RNS315 (SEAT Mediasystem 2.1) fitted in a FL 2011 VRs with white maxidot - lovin' it

Everything works fine from HU side, I can

Vol + / - from MFSW

Select DAB stations using MFSW and they show up in the maxidot

Next / Prev BT audio using MFSW and song info shows up in the maxidot

If I long press phone symbol on MFSW it dials last number and shows in the maxidot

What doesn't appear....and the bit(s) I'm confused about

I don't get a NAV or PHONE sub-menu in the maxidot, so no NAV or Phone in the maxidot. Is this something that can be enabled via VCDS?

I thought it could but now I'm reading about BAP / DDP, I'm proper confused innit

Apologies, now back to your regular programming

• 4 years later...