Skoda -do not buy one

hill4332

when the pads and disc were replaced by trust in redditch i was given an invoice detailing what they had done including the cost pf parts

However when i took to Blade in Gloucester they said they had replaced the pads but did not give me anything ,as the grind commenced within 5 miles -was a sat so garage had then shut-i contacted both the garage and skoda who arranged three weeks later to have the car in for two days -distance was around 30 miles so no transport and needed a courtesy car hence the wait. hen i got car back i asked for proof of work done.AS they did not give me one and the problem was continuing skoda told the garage to send me one.what they sent combined both visits and crucialy did not say that new pads were fitted that saturday.After a few e-mails to the garage i finally got an e-mail back confirming they had replaced that day-do i believe them when all i asked in that invoice was confirmation similar to that given by trust .it was a simple request that was quite clear and they wouldnt do it -hence why whilst i have printed off the e-mail

Others have commented on new pads bedding in before the noise starts-if so why not the pads from blade .i repeat its not the noise from pads with contamination that comes off-the car never stands long enough without use

Interesting thread. I have recently heard a grinding sound when braking in my 2013 Citigo (14k on clock). The brakes work fine (i think - not exactly amazing stopping power to begin with). I was thinking about getting it checked out but it sounds like it could be a common trait.

• Like 1

Richf-at 2000 miles pads and discs were replaced under warranty due to warped discs.See my posts as to whether the last set have in actual fact been replaced at all

hi, new reader to this thread, I am interested in this  because I too have a citigo, bought new May 2014, done 8000 miles. it went in for the 1st service plus brake problem, at 30mph braking normally you could hear the pads catching the warped disc. Under heavy braking at 60mph I got heavy brake judder. I told the dealership and expected the job to be done under warranty, to which they argued the point. I said its not normal wear and tear so its got to be a warranty job. Any I ended up paying 1 3rd for new disc's and pads, skoda paid 1 3rd and the dealership paid a 3rd. On reading the warranty book I found that skoda say over 6500 miles the pads are not covered by the warranty. I too am dismayed by skoda's attitude.

This may have no relevance at all to the OP's brake problems but it amazes me how many people do not use the handbrake but are quite content to sit with their foot on the brake at traffic lights, junctions etc. If you have been using the brakes the discs and pads are likely to be hot and sitting with your foot on the brakes (rather than using the handbrake) can create a hotspot on the disc. This may lead to warping of the discs.

• Like 2

This may have no relevance at all to the OP's brake problems but it amazes me how many people do not use the handbrake but are quite content to sit with their foot on the brake at traffic lights, junctions etc. If you have been using the brakes the discs and pads are likely to be hot and sitting with your foot on the brakes (rather than using the handbrake) can create a hotspot on the disc. This may lead to warping of the discs.

Specifically, some pad material sticks to the disc creating high spots (pad material transference). This would only be an issue if the brakes are very hot. In normal traffic it should not be an issue.

How about brake drums then? Hot as well I presume.

I hardly ever use handbrake at traffic light. Brakes should handle different temperatures without problems.

Cold water for hot brakes could ruin discs, but not heat alone.

I sit on the footbrake at traffic lights due to driving a DSG Yeti which cannot be left in D with the handbrake on and the engine running like torque converter autos. Therefore, by the time I have slid the stupid armrest backwards (look to BMW for the drivers side cut out Skoda), applied the handbrake, gone to neutral, then released the footbrake, the damn lights have changed, so I have to start all over again. If there was a relay? on the handbrake like the footbrake it would be less of a problem.

However when i took to Blade in Gloucester they said they had replaced the pads but did not give me anything ,as the grind commenced within 5 miles.....

So..... the "grind" DID disappear after its visit to Blade, but "a" noise reappeared after 5 miles? I honestly don't think this is brake "grind", which I'm sure you're aware is normally associated with "metal-to-metal" abrasive noise, especially as reading through this thread, many other Citigo owners seem to have reported similar noise to that you describe.

My wife's 2003 Focus has the noisiest brakes I've ever heard and is now on its third set if disc/pads, so I assume this is normal... Our MKI Octavia had slightly noisy brakes. Our MKI Superb brakes are silent. Our MKII Superb brakes are noisy. Having had asbestos removed from brake pad and shoes > 20 years ago, increased noise was the result, from the metallic and organic compounds that had been added to compensate for the loss of asbestos. Have you checked the Seat and VW owners sites to check their experience of the Mii and Up? Incidentally, the Citigo won the comparison of the three in Auto Express in 2012. I think you should learn to live with the noise and enjoy the car.... Life's too short...

• Like 1

Very Odd, I have had a recent issue covered by warranty with my Yeti, & had NO issue with dealer or SUK customer services.

Despite my frustration at it taking in total 5 attempts to resolve, a patient approach to both, along with advising that i had spoken to a solicitor about rejecting the car should this attempt fail seemed to concentrate the effort to resolve, also pointing out to both that I had been more that patient allowing more that what is regarded as reasonable number of attempts to resolve (3), & this exceptionally reasonable attitude would look favourably on my case.

Being on Skoda number 6 & this being my 1st car with an issue , then slating off a brand after just 1 car is a tad harsh

I must be deaf.  I can't hear any brake noise from my Citigo and I've had it for a year!

so we are two!  I drove a pair of citigo before choosing it and none had grind or noise, the test drive I made was poor gentle :D  .....

Was driving a 13 plate Fabia today and it had audible brake noise, louder than my Citigo. Still think it is just normal for modern pad compounds.

Exactly.

BTW - A friend of ours has a 2014 Bentley Continental... guess what? Yup, noisy brakes too and that really is the least of its problems, having less than 3k on the clock and its been off the road for more than two months out of eight to date!.

Bentley - do not buy one..... :D