B-Pillar cover - damaged by seat belt.

Good news for me. My supplying dealer have agreed to replace under warranty. It's a shame they are a 40 mile round trip. But at least I know not yo waste my time with the local idiots again now :).

• 1 month later...

Mine has the wear also, 5 months old, 1800 miles.

Not much point replacing it, the plastic is too soft, bad cost cutting design.

Most cars have a metal guide covered in plastic for this function.

Good news for me. My supplying dealer have agreed to replace under warranty. It's a shame they are a 40 mile round trip. But at least I know not yo waste my time with the local idiots again now :).

... and yet some dealers refuse to entertain it as a warranty claim. Consistency doesn't seem to be a strong point in the Skoda warranty process.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had anymore joy with this problem and skoda? Mine are showing wear on both drivers and passenger side.

After Stuski's problems with Clock/Gordon Lamb I'm a bit reluctant to waste my time going to see them about this!

Edited by Alex1980

This looks awful, I have never seen this on any car, i think skoda should replace under warranty as its a inherent design error, it shocking to think a car with 10k has this damage.

I bet 99% of people would not even think to look there, so skoda are not worried is going to cost a packet to put right.

Happened to be in a MkIII Octavia at work the other day, and noticed that the seat belt wear was absolutely appalling! I mean ours do get a hell of a lot of use constantly being taken on and off all day and night, but still, it'd only done about 45000 miles!

Looked at mine and it doesn't seem too bad, perhaps because of the position I have it in? But non the less it's still there on a <17000 mile car.

I've been to see the dealership today and apparently it's how I'm putting the seatbelt on, although when I said I never had the issue on the other 3 VRs cars I had, they couldn't answer me. Also, surprise surprise, they've never had any other cars with this fault.

They have taken pictures and will submit them to skoda, to see if they will approve the warranty claim.

Ask them to demonstrate the correct way to put a seatbelt on. Video it on your phone and post it on here as I have obviously been putting my seatbelt on incorrectly since 1987 when I passed my test.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's absolutely rubbish, that somthing so simplistic can Wear in that fashion. In 20 years of motoring I have driven many cars, for many of those years I drove French cars and put up with all the sarky comments about build. Well let me say VAG cars are just as bad in quality control, there not that clever. And somthing so noddy as a seat belt dispenser would never be an issue. Also given these cars have done so little mileage.

I would kick up a stink big time if the don't replace it, it's clearly inherent problem in the design.

Edited by Alpha2110

• 2 months later...

I've been to see the dealership today and apparently it's how I'm putting the seatbelt on, although when I said I never had the issue on the other 3 VRs cars I had, they couldn't answer me. Also, surprise surprise, they've never had any other cars with this fault.

They have taken pictures and will submit them to skoda, to see if they will approve the warranty claim.

I'm still waiting on my dealership to sort this. Here I am over 2 months since reporting it and no further forward.

I've phoned the dealership several times, but the service manager is always busy and never returns my calls.

I've spoken to skoda customer care 3 weeks ago, who eventually managed to speak with the service manager, who told her trim panels aren't covered under warranty, but the issue is with their warranty administration department.

I'm really not impressed with either skoda or the dealership!

• 1 year later...
On 16.1.2016 at 18:30, Mardu said:

...and replaced under warranty for the second time already.

...third time, this time including the driver's seatbelt as it was also worn. This time, at first, the dealer tried to blame the damage on me using the seatbelt wrong. When I asked them to show me how to use it with the recommended seat position, they didn't have an answer. After I asked about a written note about this damage not being under warranty, I just got a call that they'd replace everything for free again. I did some investigation myself, and found that it mostly depends on the seat position, so it might not be a big problem for some people. Other cars, even other new Škoda models, have the metal seatbelt guide (the one behind the cover) a bit farther away from the covers, so the belt does not rub against the covers, therefore the covers do not sustain this kind of damage.

Hi there, got my drivers one replaced on my 59,000 mile 2014 VRS last week at the 3 year service. Progress Skoda Northampton, very little hassle but said wouldn't replace it if it happened again. If they say they've never seen it before pick a car on the forecourt and show them!?

• 2 months later...

I too have this problem - March 2015 Octavia. The driver's side trim was replaced in December 2016 under warranty by Lookers at Harrogate.

The wear re-occurred and in October 2017 (22000 miles) I showed the damage to Lookers, Harrogate. They pleaded ignorance to the problem and I was met with stalling tactics - "..Skoda Service receptionist/person not in". I didn't pursue the issue but have re-checked today (24000 miles) and noted that the wear on the driver's side has increased and now extends about 2mm into the plastic.

I also noted that wear is staring to occur on the passenger side. The passenger side wear can not have been caused by me as I have NEVER worn the passenger seat belt and have never sat in the passenger seat whilst the car is being driven, so, the excuse that I'm not putting the seat belt on correctly can not be applied. I have been driving for over 40 years and have had many makes of car (including 4 Skoda Octavias) and my latest car is the only one in which I have had the problem. 

I agree with previous posts and consider the wear to be a design problem and that an inappropriate material has been chosen for the set belt guides.

My car is shortly due it's first MOT and - although no fraying of the seat belt has occurred - I'm concerned that the wear may result in an MOT failure now or in the future and would welcome comments from members who have experience of this problem.

P1010455_Drivers_Seat_Belt_23-02-2018_23987_Miles.jpg

P1010456_Passengers_Seat_Belt_23-02-2018_23987_Miles.jpg