What's in your Hifi Rack?

SEVrs

I just a Philips soundbar/subwoofer with bluetooth and and my Lenovo Tablet(32 GB card)... or ill connect my Seinheiser Cx300 headphones....

So who still has a cassette deck 

Nope - but I have recently repaired my father-in-laws Teac A-100.  Just got to attack his Dual CS 505 turntable now...

• Like 1

On other tacks...

Read up on upscaling... I probably don't have the kit or ears or budget these days plus I don't own a good freestanding DAC.

Currently looking at the kitchen thinking it needs a recipe and internet radio tablet plus.... RPi sound system.

The problem with square-ish rooms is that standing wave formation causes boom, so the best thing to do is to enter your room dimensions into one of the on-line frequency room mode calculators to see what the problem frequencies are, then pick a speaker that doesn't have the cabinet tuned to the problematical room mode (ie a speaker tuned for a peak in bass response of say 50Hz may well sound really boomy in that room size whereas one tuned slightly above or below this value may be ok).  There's a lot of trial and error but you can give yourself a head start by considering these things from the outset.

Room mode calculator:  http://amroc.andymel.eu/

And another to have fun with:  http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/room-eigenmodes.html

When you think you've found a speaker that wont exacerbate any room modes too badly, check its sensitivity and nominal impedance load. Pick an amplifier which has more than adequate power to drive the speaker as most speaker damage is done by underpowered amps clipping (sending square wave impulses) which destroys tweeters (sooner or later).

Wooden flooring isn't a huge problem if you use decent heavy stands or use concrete or granite slabs to sit the spiked speaker feet on.

Thanks - i'll look into that for sure. :thumbup:

I have 2 X musical fidelity typhoons in bridged mono musical fidelity pre amp and cd separate dac oh and kef reference 2 and just re commissioning my ultimate speakers ruark accolades . Bit too big for our room now .

Nice set up.  Just rebuilt some KeF Ref speaker crossovers for a customer (re-capped). KEF used some very complex designs for their reference series which despite the modest sensitivity seem to like a lot of watts up 'em!  The cavity coupled bass seems to have been rarely used by others although I see that Wilson Benesch seem to use a similar system on their latest stand mounts.  Love the Ruarks.  Heard those at Audio T in Cheltenham many years ago. 

From Original system (circa 1982)

JVC A-X1 Amp

JVC L-F41 Turntable.

Mission 700 Speakers.

later added

Arcam Alpha 9 CD player

Yamaha KX-580 Cassette player

Denon TU-1800 Tuner.

Grado SR-80 Headphones

We are in need of a new amp and speakers as one speaker is bust and the amp is on it's last legs.

I have in my bedroom a Denon DM37 DAB mini system with Tannoy Mercury F1 Speakers and was purchased about 6 years ago.

I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable in Red liked to an Onkyo A9030 amp with a set of Cambridge Audio Aud300 1M interconnects playing through a set of Dali Zensor 1's sitting on top of a pair of Pixel T50 floor stands.

Got the lot from Richer sounds for quiet a good price.

Laptop with J River MC19 -> Hegel H160 DAC/amp -> ATC SCM40 Mk2 and some Beyer DT880 'phones. I like my music.

All of my CDs are ripped to FLAC, and I use Spotify Premium a lot. 

Currently have two systems.

Favoured analogue system and one that has been in use for the last 30 years comprises...

LP12 - Ittok - Asak/K18

Naim 42-5,Snaps,110.

Linn Kans Mk1 & 2.

Went through a stage in life when HiFi was my god and as a good disciple would spend literally every penny I had on various systems in search of audio nirvana. Started as a student and had understanding parents as the field of electronics interested me, I tinkered with building my own speakers initially using components from existing designs to try and improve to building own from scratch.(Volt,Scanspeak,Peerless,Jordan) Wilmslow audio as well as a few others assisted  along the way. It was a great time (1980 - 90) to be into hifi and one I have fond memories of. 

Have quite a few odds and ends collected over the years from AR18Ls, IMF TLS80, Aurex Mini Monitors to Nytech CTA252, DNM and Crimson.

Glad to have preserved vinyl collection and occasionally dust off the Nakamichi CR7 to listen to the many radio broadcasts recorded around that time.

Have the obligatory 5.1 system that does family duties. 

Good subject  :thumbup:

That is some good systems you guys have!

I currently have a

Denon X2000 reciver

Dali Zensor fronts and center (will add surround speakers soon.

Gale 3090 woofer.

Panasonic blu-ray

Boxee box (my HTPC died on me)

Ps3

All hooked up to a 55" Panasonic st60 plasmascreen.

Behringer Eurolive B615D with Xenyx Q802 mixer. I've currently got it hooked up to my PC, but it's got a 3.5mm jack so i can hook it up to almost anything.

I used to have a Technics Class A amp and Mission speakers but SWMBO kept moaning about the size and cables so I ditched it for a cheap compact system and just after warranty expired the digital display gave up the ghost  :devil:

nice that so many people do still have 'proper' hi-fi systems..most kids today are missing out on how music should sound!

So, in my rack currently is.. Rega Planer 2 Turntable

Graham Slee Gramamp 2 Phono Stage

Meridian CD200 Transport

Rega DAC

Naim Nait XS  Amp

Acoustic Energy AE Lite 2 speakers fed with 'Exposure' Cable.

Also have a bedroom system...Marantz CD63

Aura Amp

Mission Speakers (bi-wired with Ortofon cable!)

I do have Mp3's which I listen to mainly in the car...I think of Mp3's as nothing more than a replacement for the cassette tape format, convenient for music playback when on the go !

• Like 2

I used to have a Technics Class A amp and Mission speakers but SWMBO kept moaning about the size and cables so I ditched it for a cheap compact system and just after warranty expired the digital display gave up the ghost  :devil:

The beauty of 'old style' gear. Still look quite good and last forever. Mine too, 80's Technics Component.

I think the key is the size of the equipment, with plenty of airspace for cooling, plus cheap crap nowadays, Lol.

Ooh - forgot about the 'other system' and the kids...

I've currently got a spare pair of Q Acoustic 2010's and wall mounts that used to live in the dining room at the our old house and were wired into the main system.  Think I'll whack them up in the kids playroom, bag a cheap amp off ebay (Cambridge Audio A1 or similar)  and move the second (Sony) CD player in there.  Will give them some sounds in there and also act as a bolt-hole for me when their watching c**p on the telly such that I can't use the system in the lounge!