What's in your Hifi Rack?

SEVrs

Hot off the heels of the "what's in your record collection" thread, I thought a separate thread on the gear some of us still have or be into would be interesting.

Boys toys stuff can be quite divisive it seems these days as the relentless rush to declutter and get in touch with our feminine sides (whether we like it or not  :D ) means that fewer living rooms have the "statement" gear of yesterday in favour of either a miniature "low-fi" or the odd i-pod lying around.  When I introduce some of the younger generation to proper old school hifi, the usual reaction is "wow...that sounds good", and the occasional "what's that black disc for" (points to an LP)...

As for me, I left a civil engineering career a few years back after 25 years working world wide as the pressures of working at a high level and the travel were not conducive to health or a balanced family life.  I retrained over a few years in acoustic physics and electronics and now design loudspeakers for people, as well as building and refurbishing them (my company is Reference Fidelity Components).  As my wife and I are into our music, she's very tolerant of hifi cluttering up the place, so we have a few amplifiers (one being a big 40 kg Valve amp), a 40 yr old Garrard Turntable, along with a more modern Michell Gyro turntable, Rega CD player, various speakers including some from Verity Audio and some of my own design and construction (Reference Raptor Loudspeakers).

Whilst we appreciate the convenience of digital media and streaming solutions, many recordings are either badly remastered or simply not available on digital (especially some of our classical collection), so most of our listening is still done using the turntables and the CD player. There has to be around 1500 LPs and CDs in the collection and they simply form part of the furnishings of the room, a bit like a music library!

What's in your Hifi rack?

• Like 2

I'm lucky in that I have a dedicated TV room with the 7.1 surround so the lounge has only HiFi in it, my rack has :-

Michell Focus One TT with Linn Basik IV TA

Arcam 8i running the tweeters

Arcam 8P running the mids

KEF Q15 standmounts

Marantz CD 63 KI Signature

Sony Tuner (Award winner for about 10 years ago).

Not forgetting a line out cable for the iPod (used for background listening when entertaining, very useful just set a playlist running and leave it)

A good collection of CDs and a reasonable collection of LPs including a few new recordings on 180g.

Not forgetting the ideally placed sofa for closed eye listening  :D

Nice TT, the Focus One. I used to have a 63KI siggy in the late 90's.  A nicely built player. Kef's are also pretty neat little speakers.

Here's a photo of the Raptors I've recently built:

RFC-Raptor-5.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty basic set up, mine.

I started buying proper separates many years ago, spending £300 on a new CD player. Speakers were next on the shopping list until my rented house was broken into, by an ex lodger, and his mate fresh out of prison. (AWOL I believe) They nicked EVERYTHING including clothing. they only left the stuff that was in the wash. Gutted!

I worked nights at the time, the coppers were aware of the people involved but without proof they could not do anything regarding them and the theft. They were not clever enough to make the broken window (in the door) safe or big enough to climb through, so they must have had a key.

Anyway, emergency Hi Fi replacement saw an advert in the paper for a Technics component system for £220. I said (very nicely) to the girl that it was worth about £100 to me. Surprising me, she said "well my in law was gonna give me £120 but has not got the money now" so I said yes, I will give you £120.

Well chuffed.

I had to purchase decent speakers though and found a pair of Jamo dynamic D4's for sale at £40. The seller said to me exactly what I would have said if I were selling, Don't offer me less or the price will go up. I shook his hand and purchase made.

That is what I still have to this day, although I do need to replace my 10" foams as they have had some hammer.

Bigger is best IMO when it comes to speakers. Whilst in other shared lodgings another tenant had a real basic stereo, but then his brother gave him a speaker.

It was the size of a modern 50" tv and sounded surprisingly fan bloody tastic. This was not good for me though as I was working nights.

So that's it - Technics component and Jamo.

Kinda Hi Fi related,

I also have a donated Denon AVR1802 AV surround receiver with the surround and centre speakers salvaged from my old Toshiba tv, and just use some Panasonic bookshelf speakers for the main's. I built a box for the twin centre speakers, 18" x 14" x 4" and the sniper shot in Rambo III sounds Amaaazing. Lol.

Sky box and Laptop are connected to Hi Fi, my TV was, but this is no longer necessary.

I come from a sound engineering background, so HiFi speakers are not something I particularly go for.

I like my music to come from a source that doesn't add any EQ, so my setup consists of a pair of Yamaha HS-7 monitors paired with a KRK 10s Sub for added bass.

Nice natural sounding setup with the subwoofer crossover set pretty low just to pickup kick drums and certain bass guitar notes. :nerd:

I must admit - I have been lazy and listening to music via my Pioneer VSX2021 surround amp over the last 2 years.

This is running via a Mordaunt short Genie 5.1 setup - expanded to 9.1 with 2 extra pair of MS-402's.

Sounds great for home cinema, but stereo is ok - but I would like to improve/simplify this for stereo only.

So - just recently moved house and have a dedicated room I want to setup with a hifi.

Not to go too far off topic - but interested on recommendation for simple 2 speaker setup. I'll watch the thread...

Stereo amp purchase might be a Denon MC-39DAB, or if money allows I like the Marantz MCR-610.

Both have option for dedicated subwoofer output as well.

Did have a yamaha cinema set up with mordaunt short mezzo speakers

But i got fed up of the space it used, so I've downsized to a Cambridge audio sound plinth, which obviously isnt anything like a proper set up, but good enough to be getting on with

• Like 1

Big old pair of Celestion speakers (Ditton 3?). Home built, dual mono amp to this design. Random CD source and tuner.

Sounds lovely when I get to use it. The missus and the telly generally preclude that unfortunately. :D

• Like 1

NAD 3020 powering a pair of Gale Mini-Monitors.

All music now supplied via my PC attached to my Spirit Folio 10+2 mixing desk - the mixing desk means it's easy for sound in or out from the computer, plus I don't have to bother with a guitar amp any more (which pleased the wife).

• Like 1

I come from a sound engineering background, so HiFi speakers are not something I particularly go for.

I like my music to come from a source that doesn't add any EQ, so my setup consists of a pair of Yamaha HS-7 monitors paired with a KRK 10s Sub for added bass.

Nice natural sounding setup with the subwoofer crossover set pretty low just to pickup kick drums and certain bass guitar notes. :nerd:

Few passive set ups add any EQ at all unless something like DSP is used between source and power amp stages to counter-act room modes.  That in itself can be a good thing as most home set ups rarely if ever use room treatment as used in studios, so irrespective of what speaker you choose, it won't be the last word in accuracy unless great care is taken with room matching, something I'm sure you're already well aware of  :thumbup:

There's a few decent studio monitors (Adams Audio active monitors,  Event Opals and ATC to name a few) which work well for home use but there's nowt wrong with a well designed pair of passive or active hifi speakers.  Tannoy are a prime example of what was used both in the studio and for domestic use (I'm thinking of things like Lockwood Majors, mansfields and similar).  Personally, I favour full range 3 way designs, which are few and far between.  Never really got on with subs as integration is difficult to get right. 

Edited by SEVrs
  • Like 1

I must admit - I have been lazy and listening to music via my Pioneer VSX2021 surround amp over the last 2 years.

This is running via a Mordaunt short Genie 5.1 setup - expanded to 9.1 with 2 extra pair of MS-402's.

Sounds great for home cinema, but stereo is ok - but I would like to improve/simplify this for stereo only.

So - just recently moved house and have a dedicated room I want to setup with a hifi.

Not to go too far off topic - but interested on recommendation for simple 2 speaker setup. I'll watch the thread...

Stereo amp purchase might be a Denon MC-39DAB, or if money allows I like the Marantz MCR-610.

Both have option for dedicated subwoofer output as well.

What's your room size/budget and what sort of music do you like?  There's a massive choice and the used market's where it's at. I'd be happy to offer some recommendations.  

• Like 1

Few passive set ups add any EQ at all unless something like DSP is used between source and power amp stages to counter-act room modes.  That in itself can be a good thing as most home set ups rarely if ever use room treatment as used in studios, so irrespective of what speaker you choose, it won't be the last word in accuracy unless great care is taken with room matching, something I'm sure you're already well aware of  :thumbup:

Never really got on with subs as integration is difficult to get right. 

Totally agree, but it's a good start.

Having listened to music and mixes for years through studio monitors, you get kinda' used to the flat response and clarity. Granted, there are some great HiFi setups out there, the one's that I do like are way out of my budget! KEF R900's sounded good.

The sub is a tricky one, I've got it to work for me in certain spots in the room. Which is fine for me, but not great when I have friends over, so gets bypassed! I don't think the misses would be too happy with me putting bass traps around!

I keep meaning to measure the freq response of the room, but with a plan to move, there isn't much point for now....

What's your room size/budget and what sort of music do you like?  There's a massive choice and the used market's where it's at. I'd be happy to offer some recommendations.  

Thanks man - i appreciate the feedback and some ideas to progress the research....

The room is pretty square....3m x 3.5m approx; trouble may be wooden flooring perhaps?

Very unsure of the sound in such a room.

Started looking at Mordaunt Short as that's what i know.... but already drifting to Monitor Audio.

Music style - well.... between myself and SWMBO - it will be pretty varied....

Thanks man - i appreciate the feedback and some ideas to progress the research....

The room is pretty square....3m x 3.5m approx; trouble may be wooden flooring perhaps?

Very unsure of the sound in such a room.

Started looking at Mordaunt Short as that's what i know.... but already drifting to Monitor Audio.

Music style - well.... between myself and SWMBO - it will be pretty varied....

The problem with square-ish rooms is that standing wave formation causes boom, so the best thing to do is to enter your room dimensions into one of the on-line frequency room mode calculators to see what the problem frequencies are, then pick a speaker that doesn't have the cabinet tuned to the problematical room mode (ie a speaker tuned for a peak in bass response of say 50Hz may well sound really boomy in that room size whereas one tuned slightly above or below this value may be ok).  There's a lot of trial and error but you can give yourself a head start by considering these things from the outset.

Room mode calculator:  http://amroc.andymel.eu/

And another to have fun with:  http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/room-eigenmodes.html

When you think you've found a speaker that wont exacerbate any room modes too badly, check its sensitivity and nominal impedance load. Pick an amplifier which has more than adequate power to drive the speaker as most speaker damage is done by underpowered amps clipping (sending square wave impulses) which destroys tweeters (sooner or later).

Wooden flooring isn't a huge problem if you use decent heavy stands or use concrete or granite slabs to sit the spiked speaker feet on.

Edited by SEVrs
  • Like 1

Totally agree, but it's a good start.

Having listened to music and mixes for years through studio monitors, you get kinda' used to the flat response and clarity. Granted, there are some great HiFi setups out there, the one's that I do like are way out of my budget! KEF R900's sounded good.

The sub is a tricky one, I've got it to work for me in certain spots in the room. Which is fine for me, but not great when I have friends over, so gets bypassed! I don't think the misses would be too happy with me putting bass traps around!

I keep meaning to measure the freq response of the room, but with a plan to move, there isn't much point for now....

Know what you mean as some decent hifi speakers can be telephone book numbers on price!   A grand buys a decent enough floor stander or stand mount these days, especially used but that's a huge amount of cash to some.  Vintage speakers like the Heybrook HB1 can be an excellent place to start for under a £100 a pair for someone who just wants some decent sounds, and it's pretty easy to refresh the capacitors in the crossovers of older ones.  I'm not a big fan of the KEF R900s but do like their LS50 stand mount.  Those I've often thought paired with a decent sub would be excellent.

Edited by SEVrs

There's a vintage hifi thread on here somewhere but I currently have:

Transcriptor Hydraulic Reference by J A Michell

Transcriptor Fluid Arm with Ortofon VMS20E Mk2

Rotel RA931 Mk2

Monitor Audio Bronze B2 on Target stands

Sony CDP XE330 CD player

Marantz CD 63 Mk2 CD player

Technics ST-GT350 tuner

• Like 1

Well I have a Yamaha AV Receiver RXV-467 with additional Bluetooth Audio add-on.

Pioneer Blu Ray Player (BDP-160)

Pioneer PDM-6 CD player (first ever domestic six disc changer) from the mid 1980s

Sony Minidisc Recorder (MDS-JE440)

Projekt Debut 2 Turntable.

Humax Foxsat HDR

XBOX 360 Slim 250GB.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 Speakers and a Q Acoustics Subwoofer.

There's a vintage hifi thread on here somewhere but I currently have:

Transcriptor Hydraulic Reference by J A Michell

Transcriptor Fluid Arm with Ortofon VMS20E Mk2

Rotel RA931 Mk2

Monitor Audio Bronze B2 on Target stands

Sony CD player (need to check model but was a cheapie)

Marantz CD Player (can't remember model but was pricey)

Technics ST-GT350 tuner

My father has the same TT and arm, but the original version and not the later one made under licence (same thing really) and it sounds great with a Shure V15/III.  The VMS was another classic high compliance cart ideally suited to that arm and the SME arms of the day.  The RA931 is a classic little amp and from memory had a half decent phono circuit to boot.  I had one about 20 years back.

I got annoyed by the room / speakers changing the volumes of bass notes at different frequencies. In the end I gave in and bought an Anthem MRX300 AV amp to use its room correction. For me it works well.

Rear speakers: KEF IQ10. Good but I think they resonate / boost at some high frequency. I couldn't cope with them as front speakers in the end, so I bought:

Front speakers: AE Radiance 1. Good enough that I guess I'd have to hear something else in the same room to think "oh!!!!". Nothing major sticks out as a problem.

Sub: BK Gemini 2. Might replace with XXLS400.

Oppo blu-ray / CD player.

Logitech squeezebox touch playing flac.

Some home-made fibreglass bass traps.

If anyone wants a challenge, the Harmon "How to listen" software is interesting: http://harmanhowtolisten.blogspot.co.uk/

So who still has a cassette deck  :) I started of with a Technics v5 system, SUV5 amp Ect in early 80's. Since then there has been a few new items bought and old stuff retired. I currently have Revolver deck, Talk Electronics Thunder CD, Linn pre/power amps running two sets of speakers. Mission 760i's in the study/office and B & W 685's in the lounge. I have just bought a Cambridge Audio TV 2 to go under the Panny plasma in the lounge which I am quite pleased with.   :sun: Oh and a Yamaha k 540 cassette deck  ;)

Edited by Laurie61

B&O 1986 ish 2000 full system, & Denon f-109 system & monitor audio speakers & fancy cables for the 192Mhz 24 bit studio masters............ :sun:

So who still has a cassette deck  :)

Keeping my eye out for a decent one single deck full size one, in good working order. I've got several hundred tapes in boxes which one day I'd like to listen to.

• Like 1

Originally...

Demon 910 CD player

Arcam alpha amp

Tannoy E11 speakers

More recently I've attached an RPi with Hifiberry DAC running Runeaudio.

I have a large MP3 library but prefer FLAC. FLAC library is growing.