Fuel cap question

Something that has bugged me since buying the Octavia is the fuel cap.

When fueling it is designed to just hang on the rubber band effort. What do others do with their cap when filling up so the cap isn't dangling on the paint?

I'm tempted to cut it off tbh.

Really??? Noone noticed? Im pretty sure it even says it in the manual...

I cant really talk though. The day i collected my octy i went to fuel it up, and spent 10mins trying trying to open the flap... got the manual out, and found out how to use the emergency release behind the boot liner.

Then met my first brisky, with a 110bhp L&K. Told me about the forum couple if likely problems id have with the car and then i asked jow to open the fuel filler.. felt like quite a dumba55 when he reached in and pushed button i had thought was the low fuel warning light :rofl: i believe i joined brisokda that night!

Really??? Noone noticed? Im pretty sure it even says it in the manual...

I had an octy 7yr and never read the manual either :notme:

• Like 1

The little rubber strap on mine gets twisted if it rotates with the cap when tightening.

Over time the rubber cracks and perishes. It hasn't snapped yet but it's looking tired!

I've still not had to fill up since asking this question, Don't you just love diesels :)

It got the better of me so I had to go and check anyway and yes I do feel a little stupid that I didn't notice the slots on the cap, Especially as I looked around for some kind of clip to hold it with :wall:

Does anybody else think it's a poor effort that they didn't line the slots with something to protect the paint like rubber? Or is it just me being a pussy?

• Like 1

I've still not had to fill up since asking this question, Don't you just love diesels :)

It got the better of me so I had to go and check anyway and yes I do feel a little stupid that I didn't notice the slots on the cap, Especially as I looked around for some kind of clip to hold it with :wall:

Does anybody else think it's a poor effort that they didn't line the slots with something to protect the paint like rubber? Or is it just me being a pussy?

Weight saving. Your car would be a second slower to 60 with that rubber bit on the fuel cap.

• Like 2

It will sit over the top of the filler cap flap, using the little notches in the rim??

it is in the manual, but takes some looking for. It's also well documented on this forum. But, the number of VAG users I see at pups, who don't know what the slots are for beggars belief. I've tried to educate a lot of VAG owners about the slots( at the pumps) , and am amazed about how few know about this.

Must admit I used to feel smug when others didn't know what the plastic valve tool inside the fuel flap was for on Vauxhalls. Suppose me being on the other end of it now is Karma :doh:

• Like 2

you're a pussy 

I've always used the flap and notches to hold it, don't know how you all missed it :D

It's in the manual ,and I'd suggest there's a lot of owners that haven't read it. Not only Skoda folks, but VAG owners in general .

If youre careful, youve less to worry about thsn letting it dangle on the rubber strap onto the car imo.

Perhaps I'm just a bit fussy when fueling up. Hate the cap or diesel anywhere near the paintwork. Still not had to fuel up and try the slit yet.

I am too. I try to shake n withdraw as fast as i can lol.

Ive had a look on the drive and it does seem a better alternative than letting it dangle imo.

(No innuendos intended)