vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

the thing is it varies, official Test have varied from high 200's to low 400ml. Over xmas had the mother-in-law over and over 2 months i put almost 2.5l into it with her driving it as missus couldnt drive at the time.

Between 20-30k Bryan byrt topped it up close to 5l hence they started a consumption test but they went bust :D

Edited by bimbobob

• 4 weeks later...

My car was major serviced 1,100 miles ago and oil warning light came on... found it to be completly empty of oil!!! Had the car for 2k miles before major service hadnt noticeably used any...

Some do use oil after an oil change.

Do you mean none showing on the dip stick, which can be 1.3 -1.5 litres low.

WAS THAT THE YELLOW LOW OIL LIGHT, no did the LOW OIL MESSAGE SHOW as well?

Not the RED LOW OIL PRESSURE LIGHT?

Or do you really mean 'No oil in'?

The thing is did you check the level after the service to see where it was, or since?

What oil is on the invoice as used, was it 5w 30 Full Synthetic.?

???

So how much oil are you going to put in to get it to the top of the cross hatch.

Do not overfill, maybe 1 litre first, it might need 1.5 litres, CAREFUL,  DO NOT OVERFILL.....

EDIT.

Looked at your post,  2011 28,000 mile CAVE.

Now with Bluespark Box fitted.

Best top up with oil and monitor it.

Be sure when cold the oil is up at the top of the Cross Hatch, 

then do a hot check and see where at.

You will then know before you head off anyplace when the car is cold that there is enough oil in if you just check.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

Check oil light came on when i was 10 miles from home on a journey. Let it cool down for a bit when i got home and dipped it and the dipstick came out compleltly dry. Only otange check oil light came on. Just managed to get to halfords before it shut. Reffered to owners manual put in 0.5 litres at a time and stopped at 1.5l when it was half way up the cross hatch.

When it is Cold on the flat fill to the top of the cross hatch. 

Not above, then next time its up to 80*oC or so indicated and you stop check it after 4 minutes or so.

Then when cold again check.

Do not stress.

My son has driven for only 500 miles after i did an oil change and managed to use 1.3 litres of oil.

When it is Cold on the flat fill to the top of the cross hatch. 

Not above, then next time its up to 80*oC or so indicated and you stop check it after 4 minutes or so.

Then when cold again check.

Do not stress.

My son has driven for only 500 miles after i did an oil change and managed to use 1.3 litres of oil.

Yeah the owners manual was pretty adamant about not overfilling it  :D  Filled it in Halfords carpark,was worried about driving any further it with so little oil in it. Thought I better be safe than sorry and just filled halfway. Will be making a 30min trip to the airport tomorrow so can do those checks along the way.

Yet again thanks for the great advice mate.

Makes no difference unless you want to be changing gear.  'D' does the job perfectly of having Super Charger up to 3,500 rpm, 

or Charger & Turbo, Turbo only or Charger on demand.

Then you have a various choices how you want to change, 'S' or Manual if you want and maybe stay off the brakes.

• Like 1

Had my car since July, it's a 2013 CTHE with 31k on the clock.

I've done about 800 miles since I took delivery from Skoda Letchworth.

Was driving to Norfolk today and the oil light kept flashing. It's a 200 mile round trip so I bought oil from Shell. 5W30 oil. I put a litre in and no more oil light. So I have heavy oil consumption. Should I contact the garage?

I would if I were you!

Mine was using roughly 500ml in 300 miles.

I really had to chase the dealer when it was developing a misfire and would smoke quite a bit when putting my foot down hard.

I kept a written record of how much oil I was putting in over distance covered.

Hi

Just a quick question. We bought a 2010 vrs estate with 28k on the clock just over 2 months ago. It has completed 1200 miles and have just added 500ml of oil to take it from just above the base of the hatchings to the top. It has covered 500m on long mway journeys and the rest nipping round town.

From reading through the thread, this doesn't seem too bad and is well within tolerance quoted in the handbook.

It is a cave engine with full service history and no paperwork to suggest any warranty work done. It's got a years Skoda warranty so want to make sure it's all right before it runs out as we intend to keep this as our second car for the next 5 years.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

500ml over 1,200 miles sounds ok to me (others may disagree) - I certainly wouldn't worry about it but just keep an eye on it. I find mine won't use oil on long runs but it will use some when doing shorts runs.

Edited by Brian69
  • Like 3

^^^^ Nail on head.

Tolerances in Owners manual are just nonsense for normal driving, ie 0.5 litres / 1000km (621 miles)

The figure given by VW for all engines, and the say 'May use as much as' or what ever translation.

The thing is not to stress, do not overfill. and remember until you know how much oil is in, you have no idea what was put in at the last service, 

or what Oil even if there is an Invoice.

5w 40 FS VW502 00 can help reduce oil use where there is some being used, rather than servicing and putting in 5w 30 FS Long Life.

(as long as you change ever 10,000 miles or sooner.)

• Like 2

Be sure to get a copy of the results.,

Weight of oil in at start of test and at end.

If you use lots of oil in normal driving, short trips, car not really getting the oil hot then follow your usual style during the Oil Consumption Test.

ie, do not hurry to cover the miles that the test is being monitored over.

?

How many miles are you doing.?  300 km / 186 miles is not enough really. 

My daily commute is 30km one way, so the oil gets warm. Oil drinking increased drasticly with hot weather (oil 5w-40 at 98-100degC instead of 92). Now 5w-30 for the test.

They asked for 1000km.

I'll keep you informed on the results.

If an Oil Warning light comes on you really must put oil in.

Or the Dealership can arrange recovery.

If they put in 3.6 litres and you have to cover 621 miles and a low oil warning light comes on in the miles you really have an oil user.

The oil light is highly unlikely to show or the message until there is over 1 litre of oil used.

The oil light came on during a drive on Saturday. It never stayed on permanently, just came and went. I added only 1 litre at a garage as soon as could.

I have no idea how much it was filled before when I took delivery 5-6 weeks ago. Fully filled up takes 3.5l?

Do you know how much oil is remaining when the light comes on?

I just hope it doesn't come on during a long trip and then I have to call recovery. I mostly do short trips.

Edited by Chibakun

The 'official capacity; is 3.6 litres.

Many do not get a low oil warning light, or low oil message untill it is 1.3 litres low or more,

there are threads here with engine 1.5-2 litres low before a message.

Some get a 'Low oil pressure' warning, RED CAN or Messsage before the Low Oil warning.

So that is less than half the oil in that should be.

If you open the bonnet for more than 30 seconds the Low Oil Warning light goes out and comes on again many miles later.

The Low oil warnings are not to be relied on.

• Like 1