What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

It's been an on and off search for 3 weeks now for my locks keys :( I want to commute on the bike, but I have 2 sets of keys for my locks and they are AWOL...... FML! 17 Deg C yesterday and finishing just after 9pm it was still semi light, car like a greenhouse and so not happy to be strapping myself into it under the circumstances. 

Anyone know where I left either set??  :|

Have you checked in your handbag?  :makeup:  ;)

Rode 210 miles, sub zero when I set off, took on London rush hour filtering, 18+ degrees when I started filtering home.

Chose the windier route back which resulted in me having a chat with a very nice policeman

(Happened across a serious coach crash, but didn't have enough fuel for the suggested diversion, so he helped me push the bike past the crash scene and carry on home)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Good ta Oli.  Getting used to it a bit more now and I am not feeling the weight on my wrists like I was when I first rode it.  Having backed off the spring pre-load one notch I can confirm it has made sod all difference to the jarring ride.  Still need to find time to sort the sag out and then work from there BUT it isn't stopping me from riding it and from grinning.

Tomorrow sadly I have a funeral to attend of an Ex colleague who was also my motorcycle instructor for both of my course with the job.  Smashing bloke with a really sharp sense of humour.   He was also one hell of a rider.  I think the crem will be packed as he was very popular.  Not a very log retirement before he succumbed to the big C.  Not that one was needed but yet another reminder to enjoy what you can while you can. 

RIP Dave.

Sorry to hear it mate. 

It gets plenty of em eh. Such a shame. 

RIP. 

Bike looks great Ade. The GS's dont look complete without the panniers on imo :D

What happened to my ride out? It never happened. The early finish? That never happened either. Thanks to some clown of a landlord. 

Love it mate, that's the way to do it.

You had the first service done yet ?

Bike looks great.

She went off to see her mate and then the dentist this morning...I went to.... Bidford on Avon (To Powermaxed to get some stuff to seal SWMBO's wheels on her new car that should be here next week), Then off to Worcester, Hereford, Abergeveny, Builth Wells, Rhyader, Leominster, then back home. Only stopped once to take this pic, have a drink of water and a snicker after I'd filled up in Builth. The low seat's a bit of a pain in the ar8e though as it's a bit on the hard side and lacking in foam. Either that or I've got a bony bum

Yep it was done last week and I've got over 900 miles on her after today's trip out. It was a bit windy in Wales which was fun when I tried riding no handed with the cruise on to give my arms a rest and wave at the other bikers going the opposite way and she didn't feel quite as nimble with the boxes on.It'll be 'interesting' when I've expanded and loaded the boxes up and got SWMBO on the back when we go to Scotland to see what it's like then. Rain and soft suspension modes me thinks.....

Thanks. The vario panniers and top box were on their non-extended setting which is handy as you still have a decent amount of storage without the bike being as wide as a small car. I'll be experimenting during the summer to see what's the best option for solo riding in the twisties. The dreaded flies are about now - I hit some big 'uns and she needs a clean so might be out with the TFR, jetwash and pet dryer tomorrow so I don't scratch the screen.

Quite a few bikes out today but not as mad as the weekends and almost everyone nodded or waved back... apart from 2 erberts on Gold wings

• Like 1

Sad news Chris. After enough funerals to last a lifetime we now use the service as a celebration of a great life. Doesn't make it any easier mind.

Hope the day goes as well as it can.

Thanks.  Last one I went to (another ex colleague and good friend) was a non religous service which I thought was good me not being religious in any way.  I suspect tomorrow  may be the same.

After I typed the last message it suddenly dawned on me that out of the three of us on my advanced course (Dave being the instructor and two pupils) I am the only one left!  A very sobering thought.  The other guy  (Andy) was killed not long after the course when he was knocked off his unmarked bike by a driver doing a u turn in his car and caravan. So tomorrow I will remember both of them.

If you guys are doing nothing at half one tomorrow spare me a thought and that will help me through a sad and difficult day.

Bike looks great Ade. The GS's dont look complete without the panniers on imo :D

What happened to my ride out? It never happened. The early finish? That never happened either. Thanks to some clown of a landlord. 

Thanks,

As above I need to do some 'testing' to see how the bike rides with just the panniers on. Shame your plans went to rat **** as today was the best day of the week weather wise

Thanks.  Last one I went to (another ex colleague and good friend) was a non religous service which I thought was good me not being religious in any way.  I suspect tomorrow  may be the same.

After I typed the last message it suddenly dawned on me that out of the three of us on my advanced course (Dave being the instructor and two pupils) I am the only one left!  A very sobering thought.  The other guy  (Andy) was killed not long after the course when he was knocked off his unmarked bike by a driver doing a u turn in his car and caravan. So tomorrow I will remember both of them.

If you guys are doing nothing at half one tomorrow spare me a thought and that will help me through a sad and difficult day.

Sad times Chris. I'll share a quiet moment with you tomorrow at 1.30. Better you remember them after they've gone than the other way round.

Cheers

Ade

• Like 1

Thanks,

As above I need to do some 'testing' to see how the bike rides with just the panniers on. Shame your plans went to rat **** as today was the best day of the week weather wise

More testing is required i feel ;). Haha.

Oh i know. Nearly told the landlord to go and *cough*. Yeah. Just messing me around. And got ****ty when i wrote a bill too.

It's supposed to be sunny again tomorrow but not as warm so you could get out then before it goes downhill in time for the weekend. That's the way..don't get mad get even and give him a bill!

It's supposed to be sunny again tomorrow but not as warm so you could get out then before it goes downhill in time for the weekend. That's the way..don't get mad get even and give him a bill!

Does my nut in mate. Basically was wrapping old parts in bubble wrap (2x PCB's) putting them in a box and telling me theyre manufacturer reconditioned. After hours of rattling me brains, hes given me used, buggered, parts off other old boilers that hes taken out. So im on a wild goose chase tryns suss something out, when all ive actually done is replaced a knackered part for another knackered part.

Hmm. Id love to go out tomorrow! We'll see. You out on yours tomorrow?

She went off to see her mate and then the dentist this morning...I went to.... Bidford on Avon (To Powermaxed to get some stuff to seal SWMBO's wheels on her new car that should be here next week), Then off to Worcester, Hereford, Abergeveny, Builth Wells, Rhyader, Leominster, then back home. Only stopped once to take this pic, have a drink of water and a snicker after I'd filled up in Builth. The low seat's a bit of a pain in the ar8e though as it's a bit on the hard side and lacking in foam. Either that or I've got a bony bum

Yep it was done last week and I've got over 900 miles on her after today's trip out. It was a bit windy in Wales which was fun when I tried riding no handed with the cruise on to give my arms a rest and wave at the other bikers going the opposite way and she didn't feel quite as nimble with the boxes on.It'll be 'interesting' when I've expanded and loaded the boxes up and got SWMBO on the back when we go to Scotland to see what it's like then. Rain and soft suspension modes me thinks.....

Thanks. The vario panniers and top box were on their non-extended setting which is handy as you still have a decent amount of storage without the bike being as wide as a small car. I'll be experimenting during the summer to see what's the best option for solo riding in the twisties. The dreaded flies are about now - I hit some big 'uns and she needs a clean so might be out with the TFR, jetwash and pet dryer tomorrow so I don't scratch the screen.

Quite a few bikes out today but not as mad as the weekends and almost everyone nodded or waved back... apart from 2 erberts on Gold wings

Enjoy the roads out this neck of the woods? I'd been out around the area most of the day as per normal. Give me a shout if you're ever out on a ride down this way and I can recommend a pub or two :)

Check your rectifier as my bike just had an appetite for eating batteries. Checked the output at the battery terminals with the engine running and it was all over the place and managing to reach 18.6V which cooked the batteries. Replaced the rectifier with a more more MOSFET version and now a steady 14.3V.

Yea reg/rec will be first port of call :( Weird thing is that the battery itself or the charger is all over the place and thats connected direct to battery terminals. I can't get it to a point it will even turn over just a fast clicking sound.. Need to find a multimeter and see what the battery itself is really saying. Headlights are dim with key on so assuming battery is proper low. 

Yea reg/rec will be first port of call :( Weird thing is that the battery itself or the charger is all over the place and thats connected direct to battery terminals. I can't get it to a point it will even turn over just a fast clicking sound.. Need to find a multimeter and see what the battery itself is really saying. Headlights are dim with key on so assuming battery is proper low.

Sounds it.

What make of battery is it?

Sounds it.

What make of battery is it?

Its the dynavolt one I got after the lithium one died 

IMG_20160210_152328568.jpg

Sounds like there is a problem with the battery. You can jump start the bike and then check the charging output across the battery, up to 13.8 - 14.5V at any rev output is good above that and it's the rectifier frying your battery, below and the alternator is most likely the problem. Take the bike for a spin (take some jump leads just in case) to give the battery a good charge. Try starting again and taking the measurements at the battery. If all is good check and clean your connections as it could be a bad earth. If the trickle charger is still giving odd readings then read the output of that when it's not connected. 

I seem to recall the lithium one gave up the ghost way before expected.  That being the case it looks more like the bike is frying them than the batteries fault.  Mind you what I know about the subject could be written on a very small thing!  Just adding 2 and 2 really.

Sounds like there is a problem with the battery. You can jump start the bike and then check the charging output across the battery, up to 13.8 - 14.5V at any rev output is good above that and it's the rectifier frying your battery, below and the alternator is most likely the problem. Take the bike for a spin (take some jump leads just in case) to give the battery a good charge. Try starting again and taking the measurements at the battery. If all is good check and clean your connections as it could be a bad earth. If the trickle charger is still giving odd readings then read the output of that when it's not connected. 

starter solenoid is clicking fast when I go to start and nout else. The fact battery appears to not be taking charge at all is the weird thing. I really don't want to buy a 4th battery and fry it in testing :( So many things to check bahhh. Hoping for a bad earth draining batteries lol My trusty old oxford oximiser 900 with its weird read out when connected also leaves it open to question too as it even goes to 0 as if not connected then I move plug and it comes back to life......... So best case charger dead and bad earth. 

I seem to recall the lithium one gave up the ghost way before expected.  That being the case it looks more like the bike is frying them than the batteries fault.  Mind you what I know about the subject could be written on a very small thing!  Just adding 2 and 2 really.

That's the main cautionary line of questioning. I need a multimeter badly today to get a real grip of this. 

The horrific road to my village has been largely resurfaced and looks AMAZING and I am grounded :( 

2 days ago:
IMG_20160419_172704577.jpg

Yesterday :( :( :( 
IMG_20160420_172635818_HDR.jpg

If get the bike jump started and see if it will charge itself you can then start the fault finding process.

That won't be happening no leads suitable and not bumping it as my leg does not allow such shenanigans any more :( But I will find a way :D Might have to use my giant old school charger to force some juice into that battery or one of my other ones lol Best bet is finding my crock clips for the oxford to try it out on the likes of a car battery to see if it's being all random on another one too. Multimeter is the next port of call, no cheap ones locally in stock so looking like an overpriced trip. I do have 2 here, but not a clue where they are and not about to start looking. 

On that note I best get out of bed and get to work :D I was in work until 2130 last night then the drive home, off now until Monday afternoon. Bike isn't taxed still so would be more sensible to leave it until end of next week and get it on from May1st but I can't see that happening. Going to try jumping the starter solenoid first here to make sure its not just that. With the amount of condensation it gets on it in shed, it's fair to think some corroded connection somewhere might be at fault fingers crossed. Maybe even the battery terminals were just not tight enough, was a tiny bit of corrosion on positive clamp, but doubt it made a difference. 

Edited by FUBAR

Thanks. Last one I went to (another ex colleague and good friend) was a non religous service which I thought was good me not being religious in any way. I suspect tomorrow may be the same.

After I typed the last message it suddenly dawned on me that out of the three of us on my advanced course (Dave being the instructor and two pupils) I am the only one left! A very sobering thought. The other guy (Andy) was killed not long after the course when he was knocked off his unmarked bike by a driver doing a u turn in his car and caravan. So tomorrow I will remember both of them.

Will do exactly that Chris.

• Like 1