What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

You still have the same problem that the oil has to be thin enough to flow which then makes it hard to stick to the chain without flinging off. The ambient temperature makes controlling it difficult from a cold morning to warm afternoon in the same day never mind day to day.

Most spray on lubricants usually have some additive that helps thin it out to spray on the chain then evaporates to leave a thick layer of protection behind. Mine last around 1000miles between applications, each time it takes me around a few minutes with a spray on degreaser, rinse, wipe then spray on the new layer. It's surprising how little you need to use. If you go down the spray on lube, you'll be using the same can for years.

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

All of the above is very true, and at least the Sprint has a centre stand to make the task a bit easier ;)

I'll see how it goes, I might as well use up the stuff I have in the garage first.

Not heard of anyone getting a 1000-miles between applications of chain lube before, pretty sure that even a well set up oiling system would have trouble beating that.

Most people that use spray on chain lube that I know are using it every 300-miles or so depending on if they ride all year round or just on sunny days.

Edited by Prykey

All of the above is very true, and at least the Sprint has a centre stand to make the task a bit easier ;)

I'll see how it goes, I might as well use up the stuff I have in the garage first.

Not heard of anyone getting a 1000-miles between applications of chain lube before, pretty sure that even a well set up oiling system would have trouble beating that.

Itll be fine. Just play with it until you get it vagualy right. It doesnt have to be doing the exact rate that it says in the instructions just as long as its actually doing something and isnt ****ing out either. Dont stress over it massively.

Yeah 1000 miles between application is a massive amount imo. I usually reapply every 3-400 miles. Sometimes more if ive been caught in the rain.

• Like 1

I only do about 3000 miles per year and done the chain 3 times last year. Twice this year on the new bike when I first got it and after RTTW earlier this month. Chain is never dry, no stiff links or squeaks you just hear the nice rolling action over the sprockets.

• Like 1

Well I decided Thursday since the weather was nice and I was off I'd get the CB out. It's due a service, needs a new rear tyre soon and has no tax so got it out to start up and check it over, then decided to whizz up the road for a MOT :D My plan was to get a heads up as to what it might need over winter but it passed with flying colours, even the rear tyre that I was expecting to be boarder line was perfectly fine. 

After a good 8 weeks of only riding the scooter it was VERY strange getting back on the big bike. It felt really small and strange when leaning over on it :D I've missed it but it's tucked back up in the garage for now until I get the service parts for it. Got some builders in so I've managed to get both my bikes and both my dads in the garage out the way. 

Woke mine up yesterday, cleaned and relubbed chain, did tyre pressures and a good check over ready to take to work this morning. I was about 5 miles from work when I realised I had forgotten something........ I was in a cage not on a bike FFS! Now I am back to 04:00 departures for work for the rest of the week :( 

• Like 1

Woke mine up yesterday, cleaned and relubbed chain, did tyre pressures and a good check over ready to take to work this morning. I was about 5 miles from work when I realised I had forgotten something........ I was in a cage not on a bike FFS! Now I am back to 04:00 departures for work for the rest of the week :(

Just noticed my rota for the week has been changed for the 4th time after last Wednesdays official deadline to finalise it........ I have a 9-5 shift randomly to come this week. That can mean only one thing, not mission I am sitting in line with the rest of the lemmings at peak times :D :D :D :D 

• Like 1

Freezing cold commute not going so well...... Lid is out for the recovery man to help find me lol

post-39330-0-50445200-1478079303_thumb.jpg

Edited by FUBAR

Freezing cold commute not going so well...... Lid is out for the recovery man to help find me lol

That's not so good, I hope that you get sorted quickly.

• Like 1

That's not so good, I hope that you get sorted quickly.

Was fuel starvation have about 1/4 of a tank was going to top it up in 5 miles time but this thing has bottom part of tank used as a 'reserve' and a manual tap to change over to it. Hurt shoulder at work 2 months ago so bike not been out since. Ran out of electricity cranking it to restart. Could have just put it on reserve before I left but didn't even think of it. Utterly pointless design I still have a good 40miles of fuel onboard ffs lol

Tried calling work to give a heads up but as usual they didn't bother to answer phone (real issue in that place) then eventually after I'm 40min late get an ignorant text from manager asking if I was going to come in and that he knew I was aware of today's rota change having me in 3 hours early.... Fury reply from one semi hypothetic me later and it was replied to as oh he was only concerned....

Edited by FUBAR

Bugger, at least it was a quick fix, those reserve taps are a nightmare, the number of times I filled up and forgot to turn it off of reserve, eventually got into the habit of always turning the tap off when I parked up so that I didn't leave them set to reserve!

Glad you are up and running again :)

• Like 1

Bugger, at least it was a quick fix, those reserve taps are a nightmare, the number of times I filled up and forgot to turn it off of reserve, eventually got into the habit of always turning the tap off when I parked up so that I didn't leave them set to reserve!

Glad you are up and running again :)

Just going back over the footage as just home. FIRST thing I did when I got off bike was check it (don't remember doing so) and I turned it all the way to reserve then BACK again LOLOLOLOL WTF! I had had tank off and I wanted to make sure the screw was back in and it was definitely on 'ON' Then depleted my electricity shortly after ffs.....

What a ballache fubs. Not good at all!

Yeah crap design.

No fuel gauge on those then?

Nah no fuel gauge on a lot of non recent bikes :( Makes it faster though saved a good 20grams  :notme:

Quite a good frost here this morning.

Gritters were out last night.

Looks like the Tracer will be parked up for a while then.

Was frosty here too :( 90 min I got to admire the sun finally hitting me over a hill in front of where I was stuck, I think it saved me :D 

Here is where it all started and watching it a couple of times I changed fuel tap to reserve then as I did heard a bike coming and looked up (as you do) and as I did that off shot of camera I returned it to the 'ON' position not reserve (as per the light mark on the tap when camera sees it again). FML! 

I called recovery for the first time since 2006 made it a few weeks shy of 10 years since the only other time ive used such a service lol. Made a big fuss when mce gave me the party line of 'a fully trained motorcycle mechanic is on his way and will be able to work on the bike and provide professional technical assistance' I asked the name of the firm and knowing them fairly well I said they do not have ANY mechanics of any description they only do recovery and only have 2 English speakers. I insisted with the recovery firm on the phone that bike should be trailered not strapped to bed of a tilt n slide lorry (I have seen them with bikes having fallen on their side locally a few times too often on our bumpy roads). So the bloke pitches up I am thinking blocked carbs so just get it home quick and I can take a car to work. Then when I rechecked fuel tap I had my face palm moment thinking I hadn't even been near it in the first place and this bloke missed my lid sat at side of road and flew past and reversed back with a decent bike trailer loaded onto the bed. He jumped out with no mention of whats wrong with it just where he would load it on from. I asked for a jump start then foxtrot oscared :D He followed me to nearest filling station just in case and to make sure it would restart etc. How embarrassing lol.

I was quite cross with the whole thing by this stage and I think that appears to be reflected in how the poor ninja took a few digs on the way back.  :dull:

Edited by FUBAR

Took the Harley out to get some posters put up locally for a Toy Run I organize for a Charity in the London Borough of Newham, it was such a lovely sunny day today it had to be done!

• Like 1

ffs fubs.. every video you've posted i've waited to hear that 636 scream right through to the redline (thats what its made for, right?) and straight through the gears. 

No such luck yet. 

Come on. i wanna hear it wound up :D

Took the Harley out to get some posters put up locally for a Toy Run I organize for a Charity in the London Borough of Newham, it was such a lovely sunny day today it had to be done!

Sounds ace. Harley being the perfect bike for plodding about with all the time in the world i guess. 

Quite jealous. Freezing here.. even taking the T5 a while to warm up. I think the Tracers away for a while. Needs a bloody good clean up mind. 

Today looks like the only good day this week, although Monday was pretty good to, both bikes will need some water thrown over them at some point ;)  

• Like 1

Today looks like the only good day this week, although Monday was pretty good to, both bikes will need some water thrown over them at some point ;)

probably dont get too much grit down there do you? 

Winters the time of year i usually take on a big cleaning mission. Because i'm not riding much i can spend an hour here n an hour there cleaning up. But with the tracer being only a month or so old.. i think im going to get very bored! 

Winters the time of year i usually take on a big cleaning mission. Because i'm not riding much i can spend an hour here n an hour there cleaning up. But with the tracer being only a month or so old.. i think im going to get very bored! 

They grit the main roads as they are key arteries into the City and as we all know an inch of snow brings London to a standstill so they can't chance that happening.

The side roads are normally left like a skid pan until it rains and washes it away (if you are lucky) or the rain freezes and cause even more chaos!

Event wise I've got 2 Harley Events, a Remembrance Ride on the 13th November and a Xmas Breakfast on 11th December and for either bike I've got my Toy Run on the 3rd December otherwise it will be taking both bikes for a run on those nice crisp sunny days to keep the batteries topped up or bringing them over to the flat to plug them into an Optimate for the day and then locking them away again.

Roll on Spring 2017 :)

ffs fubs.. every video you've posted i've waited to hear that 636 scream right through to the redline (thats what its made for, right?) and straight through the gears. 

No such luck yet. 

Come on. i wanna hear it wound up :D

We have speed limits in NI :( Did you not like my clutchless downshift though  :devil:

Edited by FUBAR
  • Like 1

There is absolutely no need to get bored Oli.  You can come over and clean the TEX any time you like.  I have some gloop on my back tyre I have been meaning to get rid of for a while. :no:

• Like 1