What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

19 hours ago, bonelorry said:

If you are happy to pay it and feel its worth £330 then fair enough!

That said the last BMW I bought in 2019 from a Dealership who did their own Delivery, It was around a 250 Mile round trip and they said it would be £149 additional cost. I didn't haggle on the price of the Bike so said take the £149 out of the profit in the Bike or I will offer you £149 less than the asking price for the Bike, I didn't really care how they did it but I wasn't paying anything for Delivery when other Dealerships offered it free. Needless to say they didn't charge me and did the Deal.

As for this Year, With Distance selling due to COVID Dealerships are desperate to get Sales. I have just bought another BMW and had it Delivered Free of charge. It was only a 70 Mile round trip this time but I had been dealing with Dealerships up and down the UK during my search including BMW Motorrad in Plymouth which is around a 600 Mile round trip to Sheffield for Delivery. The only reason I didn't buy from the Plymouth Dealership was that the Bike wasn't upto my standards condition wise so walked away. At the point of enquiry though I told them where I was located and they said they would deliver the Bike Free of charge if I paid the asking price.

Personally I would walk away from the deal but that would be my choice.

I had a 2018 Versys 650 for about 10 Days as a Courtesy Bike when one of my Kawasaki's needed some Warranty work so was at the Dealership for a few Weeks.

I enjoyed it to be honest, Very Comfortable, Good Visibility, Torquey Motor, Surprisingly fun to ride.

Regarding the Fireblade, I am not a big fan of them after 2007 which is the last of the underseat exhaust models. Honda took a step backwards in my opinion.

I think that a 2006-2008 4C8 R1 of similar age would be a much better purchase in all aspects, Dare I say I would even rather have a GSXR1000 K7/K8/K9 of similar age.

Thanks for your input bonelorry I think realistically with me wanting to use it everyday to commute a sportsbike will be out of the question😢 

Good to hear your experience of the Versys I think I need to go and test both as they aren’t in the same bracket really the Vulcan S is a cruiser and the Versys an adventure/sports tourer.

21 hours ago, bonelorry said:

If you are happy to pay it and feel its worth £330 then fair enough!

That said the last BMW I bought in 2019 from a Dealership who did their own Delivery, It was around a 250 Mile round trip and they said it would be £149 additional cost. I didn't haggle on the price of the Bike so said take the £149 out of the profit in the Bike or I will offer you £149 less than the asking price for the Bike, I didn't really care how they did it but I wasn't paying anything for Delivery when other Dealerships offered it free. Needless to say they didn't charge me and did the Deal.

As for this Year, With Distance selling due to COVID Dealerships are desperate to get Sales. I have just bought another BMW and had it Delivered Free of charge. It was only a 70 Mile round trip this time but I had been dealing with Dealerships up and down the UK during my search including BMW Motorrad in Plymouth which is around a 600 Mile round trip to Sheffield for Delivery. The only reason I didn't buy from the Plymouth Dealership was that the Bike wasn't upto my standards condition wise so walked away. At the point of enquiry though I told them where I was located and they said they would deliver the Bike Free of charge if I paid the asking price.

Personally I would walk away from the deal but that would be my choice.

I'd already negotiated over £1000 off.

I'm sure if I'd paid the asking they'd have delivered for free.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chunk11 said:

Thanks for your input bonelorry I think realistically with me wanting to use it everyday to commute a sportsbike will be out of the question😢 

Good to hear your experience of the Versys I think I need to go and test both as they aren’t in the same bracket really the Vulcan S is a cruiser and the Versys an adventure/sports tourer.

I'll admit that I've not ridden the Versys, but can say that adventure bikes, especially the mid capacity ones, make excellent every-day bikes. Comfortable, sensible riding position, well suspended and luggage to bring home some shopping if need be. Surprisingly, adventure bikes are generally quicker than sports bikes over traditional British A and B roads because of the better visibility and ability to cope with the road conditions

If I was sensible, I reckon the Versys could well be the one bike I'd actually ever need.

2 hours ago, Gyp said:

I'll admit that I've not ridden the Versys, but can say that adventure bikes, especially the mid capacity ones, make excellent every-day bikes. Comfortable, sensible riding position, well suspended and luggage to bring home some shopping if need be. Surprisingly, adventure bikes are generally quicker than sports bikes over traditional British A and B roads because of the better visibility and ability to cope with the road conditions

If I was sensible, I reckon the Versys could well be the one bike I'd actually ever need.

Thanks Gyp not sure if you are a Kawasaki salesman but if you were I would definitely just have bought the bike from you 😁

Your Harley looks awesome bet you can’t wait?

I know nothing about buying bikes from dealers but £1000 off sounds good to me.

Thanks Gyp not sure if you are a Kawasaki salesman but if you were I would definitely just have bought the bike from you 😁

Your Harley looks awesome bet you can’t wait?

I know nothing about buying bikes from dealers but £1000 off sounds good to me.

I wish I was a Kawasaki salesman - the commission would come in rather useful at the moment!

From an ergonomics  perspective, an adventure bike does a good job of spreading the load between bum, arms and feet, whereas the cruiser riding position puts more weight through the bum. It can feel fine for a while, but as that's doing most of the supporting it becomes waring after a while. The cruiser position is more car like, but there the weight is basically spread all the way from behind the knees right up to the top of the spine.

There is a huge difference in suspension travel between the two bikes with the Versys having almost twice the rear suspension travel than the Vulcan S. That results in the Vulcan needing much firmer suspension so it's not bottoming out all the time, but this makes the ride harsher, which puts more force through your bum, which is already where the weight is being supported. You can see where I'm going with this...

Don't get me wrong, the Vulcan will be brilliant and if you're rarely going more than 20 or 30 miles will likely never be a problem, but if you want to get on the bike and ride to the South of France you'd want to take the Versys.

I'll always remember a two bike test many years ago in Performance Bikes, where they pitched the two 250 Kawasakis against each other; the super sporty and hugely desirable 60bhp race inspired 2-stroke KR1-S against the somewhat uninspiring 45bhp 4-stroke ZZR250. The KR1-S was exciting and fun and felt fast but measured round their real-world 60-mile or so road test circuit was actually slower than the relatively gutless, softly suspended ZZR.

The Harley? Yes, looking forward to it and have bought many bits and bobs for it already. You will of course note that it's a cruiser with all my weight on my bum and only half the rear wheel suspension travel of the Vulcan S (HD 54mm, Vulcan S 89mm, Versys 145mm) and my first ride will be over 300 miles. but it is definitely a bucket-list purchase rather than a sensible one.

Oh and yes, £1000 off is ok, but it's a lot easier to achieve that buying a £20k used bike in December in the middle of a pandemic than it is buying a £5k used bike in the spring nearing the end of lockdown.

5 hours ago, Gyp said:

I wish I was a Kawasaki salesman - the commission would come in rather useful at the moment!

From an ergonomics  perspective, an adventure bike does a good job of spreading the load between bum, arms and feet, whereas the cruiser riding position puts more weight through the bum. It can feel fine for a while, but as that's doing most of the supporting it becomes waring after a while. The cruiser position is more car like, but there the weight is basically spread all the way from behind the knees right up to the top of the spine.

There is a huge difference in suspension travel between the two bikes with the Versys having almost twice the rear suspension travel than the Vulcan S. That results in the Vulcan needing much firmer suspension so it's not bottoming out all the time, but this makes the ride harsher, which puts more force through your bum, which is already where the weight is being supported. You can see where I'm going with this...

Don't get me wrong, the Vulcan will be brilliant and if you're rarely going more than 20 or 30 miles will likely never be a problem, but if you want to get on the bike and ride to the South of France you'd want to take the Versys.

I'll always remember a two bike test many years ago in Performance Bikes, where they pitched the two 250 Kawasakis against each other; the super sporty and hugely desirable 60bhp race inspired 2-stroke KR1-S against the somewhat uninspiring 45bhp 4-stroke ZZR250. The KR1-S was exciting and fun and felt fast but measured round their real-world 60-mile or so road test circuit was actually slower than the relatively gutless, softly suspended ZZR.

The Harley? Yes, looking forward to it and have bought many bits and bobs for it already. You will of course note that it's a cruiser with all my weight on my bum and only half the rear wheel suspension travel of the Vulcan S (HD 54mm, Vulcan S 89mm, Versys 145mm) and my first ride will be over 300 miles. but it is definitely a bucket-list purchase rather than a sensible one.

Oh and yes, £1000 off is ok, but it's a lot easier to achieve that buying a £20k used bike in December in the middle of a pandemic than it is buying a £5k used bike in the spring nearing the end of lockdown.

Very true that gyp not the best time for me to try and negotiate a deal :-)

Very comprehensive post I enjoyed reading it. £20k on a bike 😱 I’m very jealous....

I’ve found a Versys that I like and it is in my price range so emailed the dealer (only 30 miles away) with a few questions.

Out of interest how does it work when you purchase a bike from a distance and get it delivered. What if you don’t like the riding position or have other issues with the bike?
Would it be a case of finding a similar one more local and pretending your  interested so you can try it first before looking further afield and getting one delivered blind for want of a better word?

99532267-03C1-45A6-A93A-57D1F45C3718.jpeg

Edited by Chunk11
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Gyp said:

I'd already negotiated over £1000 off.

I'm sure if I'd paid the asking they'd have delivered for free.

Ahh thats a fair point, I wasn't aware of the Deal you had with that Dealership. I know your not new to this but some Dealerships can take advantage and try it on hence my posts earlier :)

2 hours ago, Chunk11 said:

Very comprehensive post I enjoyed reading it. £20k on a bike 😱 I’m very jealous....

I’ve found a Versys that I like and it is in my price range so emailed the dealer (only 30 miles away) with a few questions.

Out of interest how does it work when you purchase a bike from a distance and get it delivered. What if you don’t like the riding position or have other issues with the bike?
Would it be a case of finding a similar one more local and pretending your  interested so you can try it first before looking further afield and getting one delivered blind for want of a better word?

Looks smart that Versys, Just had a quick look at if its the Bike in Preston it looks like a good buy.

Echoing what GYP said about the Versys they are a very good all rounder, I did about 500 Miles on the Loan Bike with about 250 of those on the A1 at 70mph and a day out in Derbyshire having a bit of fun. I would love one if I needed a Bike for commuting on.

With regards to the Distance selling, As far as I know you have 14 Days from taking Delivery of the Bike to reject it. Also if at the point of Delivery the Bike is not as described you can refuse it.

This is why I struggled this time to buy a Bike, If the Showrooms where open I would walk in, Spend 10 Mins looking at the Bike and if it was Cosmetically upto my standards I would ask to look at the Paperwork. With the current situation it took a few days per Bike including 20-30 HD Images, Videos with close ups and Phonecalls back and forth to rule out each Bike. Got there in the end though and the Bike was exactly as described.

I did have the luxury that I have already ridden and previously owned a couple of BMW S1000R Sports in the past which ruled out have to Test Ride them which I guess might have been an issue with a Bike I was less familiar with, That said the Versys 650 is designed to be user friendly for a wide range of riders and with the current cooling off period if you hated the Bike I am sure you have the right to reject it.

Just had a quick look at an ombudsmen Website...

: If you’ve placed a deposit on a vehicle at a distance, either online or over the phone, you are entitled to cancel your order within 14 days and receive a full refund of your deposit, regardless of your reasons or any money the retailer has spent.

If you’ve paid for a vehicle in full, and taken delivery of it, you have 14 days to change your mind from when you receive the vehicle – again, you don’t have to give a reason for cancelling and the retailer must give you a full refund.

: If the retailer doesn’t give you information about your rights under a distance sale at the time of delivery, including your right to cancel the purchase within 14 days, then you’ll have up to 12 months to cancel your order and receive a refund.

Thanks for that bonelorry and yes it is the bike from Preston that’s on their website/autotrader and eBay.

I was just interested in the long distance buying scenario should it arise for me in the future.

Did you get out on the BMW today or maybe tomorrow?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chunk11 said:

Thanks for that bonelorry and yes it is the bike from Preston that’s on their website/autotrader and eBay.

I was just interested in the long distance buying scenario should it arise for me in the future.

Did you get out on the BMW today or maybe tomorrow?

No worries, Keep us posted.

Onto the BMW, Sadly its not turned a Wheel since I took Delivery 2 Weeks ago but I am itching to get out.

I work shifts and just finished my last one Today so I am off now until Friday, Fingers crossed the Weather sorts itself out as over the last 5 Days we have had Heavy Rain, Gale Force Winds, Hail, Snow and everything else in between. On a plus note the Heavy Rain should have washed the Road Salt away so if we get a dry spell I might get out...Fingers crossed,

Edited by bonelorry

12 hours ago, Chunk11 said:

bonelorry has covered the distance selling stuff well and in more detail that I ever could. Whilst you can reject without giving a reason, I don't think it's reasonable to consider the 14 days to be an extended test drive, but instead a period where you can unwind the deal simply if the bike is not as good a condition as described etc. Most that are doing delivery are being clear that you can reject the bike if it's not as expected on delivery, but your rights do it seems extend well beyond that.

The R1200R Sport that I sold privately to fund the new bike was all done remotely too - lots of photos and description from my side, buyer agreed the price and arranged for a courier to collect it. He's quite happy which is good news.

Whilst the showrooms aren't open, one of my local dealers was happy to roll a couple of bikes out into the carpark for me, retreat inside and allow me to sit on the bikes and give them a good looking over. I couldn't run them or ride them however. It could be worth contacting the dealer in Preston and seeing if they would do the same for you so you can sit and bounce.

Had a bit of an email conversation with the salesman this morning and he outright said we don’t discount the bikes at all and there is a £50 admin charge to pay after I made a cheeky offer of £4,800 (the bike is up for £5,295).

Obviously I wasn’t expecting him to accept my offer more along the lines of agreeing to a lower price somewhere in the middle.

Compared to others it is already well priced so this maybe the reason but would you think this is typical salesman speak? 
Edit:  Just noticed the price has now gone up on their website to £5,495?! On eBay and autotrader it is still £5,295 and was definitely £5,295 on their website last night.

Tempted to say I would go to £5,100 but also think it might be silly to potentially lose the bike over a couple of hundred pounds. 

2 hours ago, Chunk11 said:

Had a bit of an email conversation with the salesman this morning and he outright said we don’t discount the bikes at all and there is a £50 admin charge to pay after I made a cheeky offer of £4,800 (the bike is up for £5,295).

Obviously I wasn’t expecting him to accept my offer more along the lines of agreeing to a lower price somewhere in the middle.

Compared to others it is already well priced so this maybe the reason but would you think this is typical salesman speak? 
Edit:  Just noticed the price has now gone up on their website to £5,495?! On eBay and autotrader it is still £5,295 and was definitely £5,295 on their website last night.

Tempted to say I would go to £5,100 but also think it might be silly to potentially lose the bike over a couple of hundred pounds. 

Some do play hard ball and say they have very little margins in the Bike to be able to do much with the price, I have paid full asking price in the past but have negotiated a fresh MOT & Fresh Service into the Deal. I once asked for 6 Months on the Warranty instead of the standard 3 Months.

With regard to their Website price, I know from experience BMW sometimes have different prices on Ebay/Biketrader than their own Websites. The adverts are all done from different locations so sometimes there is a delay updating all the adverts if a Bike has been reduced.

As far as you are concerned though the cheapest price they have the Bike advertised for is the One you are enquiring about, I do agree with you though if it is the Bike you want don't lose it for a couple of hundred pounds. I have walked away from Bikes before due to not been able to do the deal I wanted and then a few Days later having had time to think about it decided to pay the extra £200-£300 and then the Bike had sold to someone else.

With regards to the admin fee, If they don't waver that and want to charge it on top of the price of the Bike I would be inclined to walk away. Atleast that should be swallowed up and your offer of £5100 should be acceptable.

2 hours ago, bonelorry said:

With regards to the admin fee, If they don't waver that and want to charge it on top of the price of the Bike I would be inclined to walk away. Atleast that should be swallowed up and your offer of £5100 should be acceptable.

Yes, I really don't get that "admin fee" charge.

I'd offer to fill out the V5 myself and write a receipt for them to sign.

...or charge them a viewing fee

• Like 1

Right so after a few emails yesterday the salesman, without me asking, sent me a finance proposal at £5,495 with a £50 admin fee on top. Told me he could get the ball rolling all he needed was the deposit but forgot to answer me questions re the mot and service history as on their website it says none which I thought was strange for a 3 year old bike.

I rang him this morning and asked him why the price has now gone up, conveniently for them since my enquiry yet eBay and autotrader show the original price of £5,295.

He muttered some utter rubbish about a file upload and said he could honour £5,295 almost like he was doing me a favour?! 
It turns out that the bike has full main dealer history having had 3 services and he said they will service the bike and put a fresh mot on it for me.

At this point I tried to ignore the fact that he had tried to “twirl me” originally re the price and was happy that he had at last provided the details I had asked for. 

Told him to send me through this deal which in my head was the original deal anyway and he sends me it through with the admin fee on top.

I then ring him back up and say I thought we agreed to wave the admin fee and include a full service/mot at this price?!

He then goes oh I thought we only agreed that at the original price £5495 queue me going £5,295 was the original price until you upped the price after my original enquiry.

Needless to say the bike is what I want at a now reasonable price certainly not a bargain but for the money seems the cheapest around on all the usual sites and has full service history, one owner and low miles.

On one hand I feel like the guy is a bit of a cowboy and what if the rest of the shop are like that? If I do purchase it and then turn up to collect will he have conveniently forgotten to mot and service the bike?

On the other hand should I try and forget about him trying to treat me  like a school child who doesn’t have a clue  and just get the bike in the hope that once it is done and dusted I will quickly have forgotten about the experience and just enjoy the bike.

The irony is they have a lot of good reviews on Facebook and google.

Oh and he has just text me saying have you completed the finance agreement yet. I replied I’ve seen a cheaper one so made an enquiry re that one.

Think I need to have a little breather to consider.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Chunk11 said:

Right so after a few emails yesterday the salesman, without me asking, sent me a finance proposal at £5,495 with a £50 admin fee on top. Told me he could get the ball rolling all he needed was the deposit but forgot to answer me questions re the mot and service history as on their website it says none which I thought was strange for a 3 year old bike.

I rang him this morning and asked him why the price has now gone up, conveniently for them since my enquiry yet eBay and autotrader show the original price of £5,295.

He muttered some utter rubbish about a file upload and said he could honour £5,295 almost like he was doing me a favour?! 
It turns out that the bike has full main dealer history having had 3 services and he said they will service the bike and put a fresh mot on it for me.

At this point I tried to ignore the fact that he had tried to “twirl me” originally re the price and was happy that he had at last provided the details I had asked for. 

Told him to send me through this deal which in my head was the original deal anyway and he sends me it through with the admin fee on top.

I then ring him back up and say I thought we agreed to wave the admin fee and include a full service/mot at this price?!

He then goes oh I thought we only agreed that at the original price £5495 queue me going £5,295 was the original price until you upped the price after my original enquiry.

Needless to say the bike is what I want at a now reasonable price certainly not a bargain but for the money seems the cheapest around on all the usual sites and has full service history, one owner and low miles.

On one hand I feel like the guy is a bit of a cowboy and what if the rest of the shop are like that? If I do purchase it and then turn up to collect will he have conveniently forgotten to mot and service the bike?

On the other hand should I try and forget about him trying to treat me  like a school child who doesn’t have a clue  and just get the bike in the hope that once it is done and dusted I will quickly have forgotten about the experience and just enjoy the bike.

Oh and he has just text me saying have you completed the finance agreement yet. I replied I’ve seen a cheaper one so made an enquiry re that one.

Reminds me of Wings in Peterborough I think it was called ordering the Z1000SX touring. Gave me price and added £990 odd for the matching hard luggage (making it the touring one). I had to point out that Kawasaki UK currently was offering this as a free upgrade on that and a couple of other models and they being a Kawasaki dealers....... Cheeky GIT (the offer ad was even on their website)! Then wanted me to pay retail price for 2 new tyres on my trade in despite me classing the entire bike as the lowest grade in their guide due to having sub 2mm and rest of bike immaculate. I went ahead with it and wasn't all that happy about it, but if your riding away on the right bike at the end of the day, that's the main thing, just don't look back. 

Edited by FUBAR

26 minutes ago, Chunk11 said:

The dealer is trying a standard "shuffle the deck whilst your attention is elsewhere" move and hoping you'll bite once he's stacked the deck against you.  Also FYI in case you weren't aware he will make a commission on a finance deal if he sells you one.

I suggest you do the following - IF the bike is the one you want and the deal is acceptable:

Email him spelling out your offer using lLanguage such as this:

"I confirm I am interested in buying motorcycle XXX XXXX for £xxx in cash / transfer / on finance (specify the terms) subject to the following:

- what exactly is included (MoT, tyres, luggage, service - and which type, anything else)

- what conditions apply to the transaction (completion period, delivery etc,)

Please can you confirm your agreement within 48 hours in writing (email is acceptable) as I have other alternatives to consider."

If you're part-exing you need to be very careful about the agreed condition of your part-ex or he's likely to try to ding you on that as well.

Now I’ve had a little time to think about it I think I will draft a letter similar to what you have put Mike and get them to confirm in writing before proceeding.

I’m not p/x anything just getting the bike on finance with a small deposit. 

I think I was more annoyed about the barefaced cheek of it trying to con me out of an extra £200 and then the rubbish that followed trying to justify it! All he had to do was be honest from the start....

Either way it’s a good price and a bike that I want so let’s get the ball rolling....

@Chunk11 Sounds like the Salesperson is either trying it on or just plain stupid.

Either way I echo what others have said and I have done this in the past, Put something in an Email just asking for confirmation of the Deal that you have verbally agreed.

6 minutes ago, bonelorry said:

@Chunk11 Sounds like the Salesperson is either trying it on or just plain stupid.

Either way I echo what others have said and I have done this in the past, Put something in an Email just asking for confirmation of the Deal that you have verbally agreed.

Most sales people want to talk as they can be persuasive (and the sometimes scant details and a phone number for more aligns with this), whereas I much prefer doing everything by email etc as that way there's a written record of what's been offered and what's been agreed.

A clear email stating what the offer for the bike is and conditions makes it clear for both sides. If the salesman says no, and sets different conditions that may still be acceptable, but either way it's all recorded.

• Like 1

Got an email confirming the terms I want to purchase the bike on and finance has been approved and deposit paid.

All being well I should be collecting on the 27.

Funnily enough when they first put the bike up for £5,295 I think they realised they priced it a couple of hundred pounds too low compared to others on the market and obviously tried to rectify this after my initial enquiry.

The prices on the different sales sites all went up to £5,495 yesterday.

Looking forward to getting back on a bike again...👍

Edit: Thanks for the advice re the purchase 

Edited by Chunk11
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 1

Since I’ve taken over the last day or so about my bike purchase how about you guys show off what your riding or looking to purchase....

I have a couple of BMW's.  A 2013 R1200GS LC TE that I've owned from new.  It's got a few mods, including a full Akrapovič exhaust system and a Hilltop ECU flash + some ergonomic mods.

I also have a 2008 G650 X-Country which has a cat' delete via a Leo Vince exhaust can and Hilltop ECU flash.  It also has one or two other mods, including a fully floating Brembo brake disc on the front. 

IMG_3480.jpeg

DSC_0410.jpeg

Edited by Schtum
  • Like 1

The sensible bike that's taken me from Lands End to John O'Groats in one go, and to Monaco and Spain...

blC91cJ.jpg

The one I need to fix...

Amlekge.jpg

The one I bought a couple of years ago, I've spent a fortune on making just the way I like it, is poor in every measurable way but is an absolute pleasure to ride as I stopped worrying about specs ans just enjoyed being out and about. It reminded me of why I started riding and I completely love it...

iw75o7q.jpg

Oh, and this is being collected Good Friday...

Ogs6ZqM.jpg

Edited by Gyp
Hmmm... how have I forgotten how to include pictures..?
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Schtum said:

I have a couple of BMW's.  A 2013 R1200GS LC TE that I've owned from new.  It's got a few mods, including a full Akrapovič exhaust system and a Hilltop ECU flash + some ergonomic mods.

I also have a 2008 G650 X-Country which has a cat' delete via a Leo Vince exhaust can and Hilltop ECU flash.  It also has one or two other mods, including a fully floating Brembo brake disc on the front. 

IMG_3480.jpeg

DSC_0410.jpeg

Nice looking bikes there I am equally impressed with the summer house is this where the bikes live? A friend of mine had a GS for a couple of years and went everywhere on it he now has an Africa Twin.