VRS CR 170 Remap - What's the car really like?

Shark have cracked the encryption on most of the ECU’s now, certainly our 2014 F/L Yeti (170CR) was done through the OBD port whereas back in 2011 my Superb with the same engine had to have the ECU opened up.

You dont need to "open up" the ECU on 2009 onwards. I had my 2010 2.0tdi CR mk6 golf remapped by a company in Leeds. You need to remove the ECU to "flash the ECU". All they do is plug the computer directly into the ECU instead of through the OBD port like a traditional remap. I removed + refitted my ECU and it was 100% not dismantled :thumbup:

• Like 1

Iv fitted the DTUK box to mine also (2009 CR170) There are 6 dif settings and I went for the full power lol. Its loads quicker but I haven't really seen any improved MPG.

I was getting low 40's before and mid 40's after with just over 50 on a run.

Which setting do you have yours on?

I can't remember tbh I'll have a look and let you know

• Like 1

I'm with it now! It's took mapping companies a while to get round the encryption then.

This'll probably be the last generation of cars which can be remapped via the OBD port. Thefts of vehicles via bypassing the immobiliser using the OBD port (Range Rover Evoques etc have been targeted) mean most manufacturers are moving to 1024+ bit encryption which is basically uncrackable unless a cryptographic or implementation vulnerability (i.e. a mistake by the manufacturer) can be exploited,

Physically removing and opening the ECU should remain an option but this obviously has warranty implications.

• 2 years later...

CR 170 VRS, DPF still in, Shark remap is there a difference, bloody hell yeah. 3 4 5 6 power all the way, no need to think about can I can't I, yes I can,  very impressive drive much better than standard, either tootaling or wailing around its a gain gain all round. SHARK gets my vote.

Thread resurrection!!  Over two years. Shark gets my vote. Totally transforms the 170 tdi. I'm in a tfsi now having sold my diesel due to lots of dpf problems. Partly my fault as I was doing lots of short journeys. Simply the wrong car for my needs but I can say it was a very impressive car with a shark map.

On 05/07/2015 at 21:34, FatblokeVRS said:

It seems there is Brotek in Lanark (Shark) and Falkland Performance in Fife (Revo) both not too far from me.

Which is the best remap and what is a rough price?

170 CR FL.

A wee update on this. Got the REVO map done in 2016 and had problems right away.

Had to get a new clutch and flywheel and then a new turbo actuator then the turbo refurbished, the EGR cleaned out and the DPF cleaned. Cost a fortune.

It has been ok since and is kicking out 205bhp. Better on fuel on a run, calculated at around 52 - 54 mpg calculated. Runs very smoothly and good acceleration.

Thought I'd add to this 2 years on myself after seeing this resurrected and recalling my opening post. Deffo +1 on Shark for diesel remaps and customer service. My 170CR is running lovely. I've only ever (fingers crossed) had the dreaded dpf light come on once and that was due to numerous interrupted regens and silly short journeys.

Self inflicted if you ask me. Do I wish I had more power? Hell yeah. However, I can't complain as the mpg is better overall and the car is nice n smooth with a bit more punch now.

I'd consider stage 2 but a friend in the know has warned me VOSA will eventually crack down on modified/gutted/removed/trick dpf's.

I reckon I'll have to take that warning on board and stick with stage 1 until I decide to get a more powerful motor.

Never got a chance to get it dyno'd so that's a tick in the box remaining as I don't quite know what she's pulling.

Interestingly, darkside developments told me they could get the car to 260+ bhp but the limit is the injectors and obviously contradicts the dpf issue of removing it or making it 'look' as if it's in.

Don't even ask me about the £££'s it costs to get to that power. Your jaw will fall through the floor nevermind hit it. :o

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2017 at 17:48, FatblokeVRS said:

A wee update on this. Got the REVO map done in 2016 and had problems right away.

Had to get a new clutch and flywheel and then a new turbo actuator then the turbo refurbished, the EGR cleaned out and the DPF cleaned. Cost a fortune.

It has been ok since and is kicking out 205bhp. Better on fuel on a run, calculated at around 52 - 54 mpg calculated. Runs very smoothly and good acceleration.

Would I be right in assuming that as the car has been fine since running the map, it's likely that the clutch/flywheel & turbo etc were on their way out before the map was done and it wasn't the map per se that caused the problems?

On 22/11/2017 at 07:57, Gyp said:

Would I be right in assuming that as the car has been fine since running the map, it's likely that the clutch/flywheel & turbo etc were on their way out before the map was done and it wasn't the map per se that caused the problems?

Yes, running fine now. We had no issues with anything before the map.

The actuator was first to go but that was prob incidental. Everything else just happened after that. It could have been one thing with the remap that carboned everything up as we got it on the dyno before and everything was fine including the DPF figures. Then everything was choked with carbon. The DMF and clutch were starting to be on their way out too. There was no issue with 170bhp but 205 was too much for them as they were a bit worn. Standard DMF and clutch in and no issues at all.

It's all been ok since all the bits were cleaned or replaced.