Tyre losing Pressue

Hi,

My front tyres seem to lose pressure especially the front passenger side.

My car has passed a MOT recently without any advisories at all 1st time.

Why is my tyre losing pressure?

As said you need to find out why. If you have had a nail or screw in there for some time the head will have been worn away leaving it very difficult to spot. A dip in the tyre fitters bath will soon show where the problem is otherwise you risk having a blow out and possibly a serious accident too.

It passing it's MOT is as relevant as you saying "I just had a clean prostate exam, so I don't know why it's leaking!"

A decent tyre fitter will charge £10-£15 to check it and sort it out. There are 2 things which could end up costing more - if it's punctured too close to the edge then it can't be repaired so you'd need to replace it (don't replace tyres individually though, do a pair). Or if the alloy itself is buckled/cracked but you'd probably have noticed more serious symptoms by now

Perhaps when it loses pressure it only looks flat at the bottom? 

Yet if it's rolled forward a little, it goes flat in a different place! :think: .

Must be more than one puncture then, :giggle: .

Edited by Tilt
  • Like 2

I pumped my front tyres up 11 days ago to 29 PSI

Today I measured the front tyres pressure and the driver side is 27 PSI however the passenger side is 23 PSI.

Is this normal?

If not what can we rule out from the below?:

1. Puncture

2. The valve is leaking

3. The tyre itself is leaking around the rim

Thanks,

Edited by Laureen1979

I was in kent last week - Ashford. really nice area , if I had known you were putting a pint on here I would have given you a shout.

• Like 1

Today I measured the front tyres pressure and the driver side is 27 PSI however the passenger side is 23 PSI.

Is this normal?

1. Puncture

2. The valve is leaking

Thanks,

You can't rule out anything

Take it to a tyre fitters, any of the above will cost you a couple of quid to fix. You can't fix any of them yourself, so who cares what it is

Edited by iaind1

Whereabouts in the West Midlands are you?  I know a very good tyre place in South Birmingham that I can recommend - http://www.longbridgetyres.co.uk/.  I've trusted them for years, and they've never overcharged me, always been cheap for puncture repairs, and always gone out of their way to find the exact tyres I've asked them for.

If it's somewhere else, tell us where & I'm sure someone on this forum will be able to guide you to a reputable tyre place to get them looked at & fixed.

Today I measured the front tyres pressure and the driver side is 27 PSI however the passenger side is 23 PSI.

Is this normal?

1. Puncture

2. The valve is leaking

Thanks,

Did you use the same gauge each time?

Was the ambient temperature the same on both days?

How far had you driven on each occasion before checking the pressure?

The drivers side difference is probably a variation in testing techniques.  

Passengers side is losing air - it really doesn't matter why it's losing air as you have to get it checked and stop posting questions about it.

Why on earth are you putting 29psi in your tyres? (yes, i realise that is Skoda's stupid recommendation in the fuel flap)  Put 34psi in them - you can thank me later when you realise that your tyres are lasting longer, you have less chance of pot hole damage & your fuel economy is better.

PS: I know you don't like spending money - most tyre places will do the diagnosis for free but you are morally obligated to proceed with any minor repairs up to about GBP15 value.  You don't have to of course but don't bother going back for more freebies in the future.

Edited by brad1.8T

I did think that the reccomended pressure seemed a bit low but I've been following it - I've had problems of uneven wear from over inflating before... Guess 34 isn't enough to do this?

Did you use the same gauge each time?

Was the ambient temperature the same on both days?

How far had you driven on each occasion before checking the pressure?

The drivers side difference is probably a variation in testing techniques.  

Passengers side is losing air - it really doesn't matter why it's losing air as you have to get it checked and stop posting questions about it.

Why on earth are you putting 29psi in your tyres? (yes, i realise that is Skoda's stupid recommendation in the fuel flap)  Put 34psi in them - you can thank me later when you realise that your tyres are lasting longer, you have less chance of pot hole damage & your fuel economy is better.

PS: I know you don't like spending money - most tyre places will do the diagnosis for free but you are morally obligated to proceed with any minor repairs up to about GBP15 value.  You don't have to of course but don't bother going back for more freebies in the future.

Yes same gauge

Yes same temperature

I checked the tyres when cold (not driven)

I have always used 29 PSI at the front as recommended by Skoda

Ok so you use 34 PSI at the front, what do use at the back?

I am dreading answering to this thread but....

Mine do this, the most likely cause (if no slow punctures are found) is slight corrosion around the valve areas on the wheel. The next time I replace mine I will ask the mechs to attempt to clean/smooth around the valve area to see if it helps. Forgot to ask on the previous set when changed.

I also had a screw go in to another tyre and had this plugged/repaired.  Over time I also notice this tyre loses a bit of air. We are talking a few PSI over a couple of weeks.

Edited by Plantman

My TPMS went off but I could find nothing wrong with the tyres so I assumed it was just that I hadn't checked it for a while.   Roads in the UK are so full of holes it could easily knock the pressure out I thought. Pumped it up and proceeded to drive 500 miles with a nagging feeling something was wrong but I couldn't put my finger on it.  The day after the 500 mile trek I start the car and the TPMS immediately bongs!  I do another thorough check and find a screw deeply embedded in one of the rear tyres !  Didn't see it first time, must have been in contact with the tarmac when I was checking.  A very lucky escape !  Particularly as if it had happened on the road I would have been stuck as I needed a breaker to get the nuts undone !  The point of the story, remember to check the whole tyre and not just what is visible. ;)

Laureen,

Just run the tyre flat, then you don't have to worry about punctures and PSI's...

flat-tyre.jpg?w=640

When it gets like this simply replace and repeat...

image005.jpg

• Like 1

Update:

When to a tyre place and the fitter changed the valve on the front passenger side.

Hopefully that should sort out the problem.

Now what pressures should I set the front and back? What is recommended pressures if the official skoda guidelines are crap? Shouldn't the back wheels have more pressure PSI than the front?

Remember the old saying Laureen, you learn more by listening and less by talking. So start listening, or should I say take in what you have already read. The answer to your questions have already been made clear by the wise members on this site. Now I know why I conduct advanced driver training and sometimes have to cover the basics of vehicle checks!!

• Like 1