Smartlink Unlocking/Activation option

Hi. No I didn't. Turns out what arrived was the activation codes for mirror link, the previous generation thing. Dealer has lodged an action with skoda uk and as soon as it's available I'll be notified. Apparently it's down to the product licence, they have a licence from Apple/android to fit on new cars at the factory but not to retro install. Everything is ready to go in the car just needs the codes. This is the same situation as when mirror link was first released apparently. Pants as I did order and pay for it when I ordered the car. Dealer did not notice that factory had selected smart gate on the order confirmation and that's what I got. Looked at it once and thinks it's a total waste of time. No idea when it'll be released.

Ah! Now that makes sense :)

Small print licencing issues between companies can drag out for months or even years. As the upgrade pack option is on the Skoda system I reckon either they thought it was okay then had to stop offering it at the last minute pending renegotiations, or they hope to have an agreement signed soon.

That said, corporate solicitors are famously slow. My solicitor friend tells me that people who can't deal with deadlines go into corporate law...

• 3 weeks later...

I read on Danish forums that someone got it activated last week. So I called my dealer and arranged december 22nd as the date when I will get mine activated. :-)

You're lucky. My local dealer still has no idea about it!

Ordered mine. It was on back order for about a weeks and a half. Had it done Friday. £135 and took about 20 mins

Ok cheers for that - I'll give a couple of the local dealers another go and see if they have managed to find out what it is yet. Can I ask what dealer you got it done by?

Finally had my dealer activate Smartlink - cost £150 and took them about 20 minutes to do - then they washed the car, so I really can't complain.

Had the first glitch on the way home - my iPhone 6s+ lost the connection and Smartlink went into a loop:

Trying to connect ... Connection dropped ... etc.

I wasn't using the pukka Apple cable - I was using my old iPhone 4 cable with an adaptor on the end.  I reset the Infotainment system and all has been well since.

Is it worth the £150?  Well, I'd lived with the "old" way of doing things for a while and got used to it, but from a safety point of view, it's much less distracting - Siri is much easier to activate although some of the functionality (which I didn't use before anyway) has been disabled - again, I suspect on safety grounds.  

In my opinion, it's worth having if you spend a lot of time in the car, want your own constantly updated playlist, and the extra map information you get when on-line (like traffic flows) is very useful.

Finally had my dealer activate Smartlink - cost £150 and took them about 20 minutes to do - then they washed the car, so I really can't complain.

Had the first glitch on the way home - my iPhone 6s+ lost the connection and Smartlink went into a loop:

Trying to connect ... Connection dropped ... etc.

I wasn't using the pukka Apple cable - I was using my old iPhone 4 cable with an adaptor on the end.  I reset the Infotainment system and all has been well since.

Is it worth the £150?  Well, I'd lived with the "old" way of doing things for a while and got used to it, but from a safety point of view, it's much less distracting - Siri is much easier to activate although some of the functionality (which I didn't use before anyway) has been disabled - again, I suspect on safety grounds.  

In my opinion, it's worth having if you spend a lot of time in the car, want your own constantly updated playlist, and the extra map information you get when on-line (like traffic flows) is very useful.

Any chance you can help with the part number for it? Think this is the only way that I'll be able to get my dealer to do it. Cheers

To be honest, I have had this on order since I took delivery of the car and it only arrived last week.  I have the package at home and I'm at work just now, but it just says "Smartlink" on the case as far as I remember.  I'll try to check tonight when I get home for part numbers.

• Like 2

To be honest, I have had this on order since I took delivery of the car and it only arrived last week. I have the package at home and I'm at work just now, but it just says "Smartlink" on the case as far as I remember. I'll try to check tonight when I get home for part numbers.

That would be great, thanks!

OK, on the receipt for the activation, there is:

Activated smart link

000054830A

and

Description

SWAP - SMAR

Inside the "DVD" case, there are:

1) Activation code

2) Activation number

3) PIN code

and the three numbers / codes relevant to this.  They left the instructions in the case, but I guess you'd have to know what you were doing to activate it in the first place - I don't, hence why the dealer did it.

I don't know if any of this is any help, but you're welcome to it.

• Like 1

OK, on the receipt for the activation, there is:

Activated smart link

000054830A

and

Description

SWAP - SMAR

Inside the "DVD" case, there are:

1) Activation code

2) Activation number

3) PIN code

and the three numbers / codes relevant to this.  They left the instructions in the case, but I guess you'd have to know what you were doing to activate it in the first place - I don't, hence why the dealer did it.

I don't know if any of this is any help, but you're welcome to it.

Could you pass the instructions for the users on this forum? Maybe someone can do something with it or at least shed some light for us.

Maybe this could be something like in the old days where just having a valid serial number was enough for a "valid" product.

Here on Portugal, there is a Lisbon dealer that seems to know how to do this and they charge a total of 239,57€ (tax + labor + Activation code). Maybe I'll buy this in the future when is time for the first revision.

Edit: I am not suggesting any sort of piracy/illegality about this. Just curious how this works.

Edited by yurimura

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had this activated at the weekend. Have to say that I'm very impressed with it! Google maps has worked really well, and it's nicer than I thought having the Nav on the screen. Think the best bit is the voice control for everything, including being able to search spotify and ask the standard google search questions.

Been lucky and had no problem connecting so far - defaults to android auto every time. One thing I would improve is that if you go to the cars radio setting for example, it would be nice if I could get back to smart link with a one or two button press rather than having to go to menu, scroll then click. Also, it might just be in my head, but I'm pretty sure that the phone call voice quality is not as good through the android auto as it is when it is bluetooth connected. 

Edited by Ash7
  • Like 1

One thing I would improve is that if you go to the cars radio setting for example, it would be nice if I could get back to smart link with a one or two button press rather than having to go to menu, scroll then click.

Yes, I find this a pain. It could do with a dedicated button.

• Like 1