Excessive front tyre wear Octavia VRS 2.0 TSI 2014 model

No it wouldnt be possible for that I dont think, I changed my Pirelli P-zero's at 3000 miles because they are hopeless in the wet and dry not due to wear

My two Mk2 L&k 1.8 tsi's managed around 11000 on fronts. They were conti's

My Mk3 Vrs estate tsi has 11500 on the clock, tyres are getting down Bridgestone's. Going to change shortly. I hate them, not much wet grip, even when new, and no kerb protection.

do you think it would be possible to request that skoda fit you choice of tyres to your car when you order it? Obviously, if you could there would undoubtly be a charge, but if peope are saying the continental super sports are as bad as people are saying with 3,000 mile durability, I certainly wouldn't want to spend money on them if I didn't have to...

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

You can't specify which tyre you get ex-factory.  The best you can do is try and arrange something with the dealer.

When I bought my Octy the factory tyres were Conti, Bridgestone & Dunlop.  I put a clause in my contract saying that I wouldn't accept Dunlop and had a preference for Continental.  The dealership had plenty of floor stock so they agreed to mix & match from floor stock if the car came from the holding yard with Dunlops.  The sales person & I even picked which car they would do the swap with (assuming it wasn't sold first). 

As it turned out, it was fitted with Conti SC2 so I was happy.  I got 43,000km (27k miles) out of the set with regular 10k (6k miles) forward cross rotation and running around 34-40psi (depending how sporty I was feeling).

I assume all you folk are running at least 34psi?

forward cross rotation and running around 34-40psi (.

I assume all you folk are running at least 34psi?

Are the tires directional/rotational ? I figured you would't be able to cross them over....unless you remove the tire from the rim and refit.

I did over 15k (kilometers) on my factory spec Conti 2's and there is still loads of profile left on my front tyres. Are you sure you didn't, by sheer accident of course, take every corner at breakneck speeds? ;). I'm not very kind to my tyres (I like the diesel tug and it corners quite nicely).

Edited by Diango

Are the tires directional/rotational ? I figured you would't be able to cross them over....unless you remove the tire from the rim and refit.

I'm not aware of any Octavia coming ex-factory with uni-directionals.  Generally they are asymmetric or "traditional" .  If they are asymmetric or traditional then they can be X-rotated (or the variations of X-rotation).  I know plenty of folk disagree with this (fair enough) but it works for me and I've probably got more tyre & suspension knowledge / experience than most folk.

I don't buy directional tyres as replacements either (because you cant X-rotate).

Waste of money getting tyres flipped on the rim.

I'm not aware of any Octavia coming ex-factory with uni-directionals. Generally they are asymmetric or "traditional" . If they are asymmetric or traditional then they can be X-rotated (or the variations of X-rotation). I know plenty of folk disagree with this (fair enough) but it works for me and I've probably got more tyre & suspension knowledge / experience than most folk.

I don't buy directional tyres as replacements either (because you cant X-rotate).

Waste of money getting tyres flipped on the rim.

Ive had a few different types of tires, most have had a rotation arrow so no x changing.

Still on the factory fitted Mitch primacy. 36k and still 4mm+ tread left. Car spends most of its life going straight at 56mph through 100 of miles of average speed check zones. Current record is 96k from a single tyre before the car was sold with it still having 3mm tread left!

Tyres on my mx5 last about 5000 at the most. Belongs you have checked tracking etc It's all about driving style. IMO

Edited by Stuski

Still on the factory fitted Mitch primacy. 36k and still 4mm+ tread left. Car spends most of its life going straight at 56mph through 100 of miles of average speed check zones. Current record is 96k from a single tyre before the car was sold with it still having 3mm tread left!

Tyres on my mx5 last about 5000 at the most. Belongs you have checked tracking etc It's all about driving style. IMO

96,000 miles is phenomenal!

But on a side note.... You do 56mph in average speed zones?   Never seen a 56 average zone.... 50 yes, 56 no.

96,000 miles is phenomenal!

But on a side note.... You do 56mph in average speed zones? Never seen a 56 average zone.... 50 yes, 56 no.

"Indicated 56" on the speedo in 50 zones. When you commute Derby to Leeds. You get a lot of time to practice :-/

And yes that 96k was a Mitch energy saver on the back of a 1.6 golf if the other rear hadn't succumbed to a puncture it would have lasted.

Edited by Stuski

And yes that 96k was a Mitch energy saver on the back of a 1.6 golf if the other rear hadn't succumbed to a puncture it would have lasted.

Haha to be fair rear tyres on smaller fwd hatches tend to last forever! I remember a 106 gti I bought that was 7 years old with around 85k on it which still had its original pirelli p700s on the back. Changed them as they were perished but had loads of tread depth... Talk about lift off oversteer in the wet lol.

Edited by V6Jules

Mine are about 2 mm from the wear mark, but only 1/3 in from the inside. The rest are almost full tread like the rear. I've done 10,000kms!

Got bridgestones on mine from factory. Vrs tdi estate. Thoughts on these guys?

Which Bridgestones & what size?

If they are Turanza ER300 then don't expect a lot of grip.  They will last forever (or it will feel like it).

• Like 1

what make tyre are the latest vrs have fitted from factory?,i changed the contis on mine at the front at around 9k, and they have a lot of road noise

Just took delivery of mine last week came with Bridgestone Potenza's

Mine came with Bridgestone Potenza S001s fitted. Done about 13,000 miles on them, with about 4mm tread left. They have all worn evenly, but I do swap them from front to back periodically.

They seem to be OK to me, and seem pretty quiet too.

• Like 1

Mine came with Bridgestone Potenza S001s fitted. Done about 13,000 miles on them, with about 4mm tread left. They have all worn evenly, but I do swap them from front to back periodically.

They seem to be OK to me, and seem pretty quiet too.

Same tyres on mine and it understeers And wheelspins in the wet all too easily.

Can't wait for them to wear out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Can't say I have noticed much oversteer - obviously not trying hard enough!

They do seem to be easy to spin in the wet, I'll agree with that. But its not often I use a lot of right foot!

I think when they wear out, I'll try some Goodyears as they seem to get good reviews. Expect that'll be by the end of the year :)

Which Bridgestones & what size?

If they are Turanza ER300 then don't expect a lot of grip. They will last forever (or it will feel like it).

Potenzas (spelt correct?) size is standard vrs 18" alloys fit!

Potenzas (spelt correct?) size is standard vrs 18" alloys fit!

Standard fit is 225/40R18

• Like 1

Anybody rate the Mitch PS3's ? Costco have my 225/45R17 for £88 a corner all in although, it has to be said the original Primacy HP's are still good at nearly 15K but, I'm not keen on the feel through the steering, a bit vauge & no confidence at best.

Edited by themanwithnoaim

Same tyres on mine and it understeers And wheelspins in the wet all too easily.

Can't wait for them to wear out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

They spin on dry roads quite easily aswell. Edited by Gromle
  • Like 1