1.4 TSI Is it Powerful Enough

Oh really?! It expires tomorrow?

Well... If it's anything like our Fabia, it went from c.4% and £500 contribution to a 0%! So maybe it'll get better?

And to be honest... If it does get better... Apparently they let you switch to the better terms considering you'll be waiting to take delivery (or at least that's what Allams in Epsom told me!)

Well mines sat at Emden.... If it changes to 0% ill be pushing to have it changed !!

FWIW there was an article in a recent Autocar where the new A4 was previewed.

I am paraphrasing here as I no longer have the article but a source at Audi stated 'the A4 won't get the 1.4 ACT as they are not really suited to large cars'.

Of course that could just be their way of saying 'premium car needs a big engine' and is not a reflection on the performance of the 1.4...

The Superb is one car with a variety of iterations.

The 1.4 ACT is available up the SEL Exec.

What's 'bigger' about the L&K?

You're right, it's all rollocks!

Well mines sat at Emden.... If it changes to 0% ill be pushing to have it changed !!

Yep can confirm that of on 1 October 2015 the Skoda Finance offer on the Superb changes, and it is arguably better for the customer, they are happy to change you over. But Neil at Allams did suggest that should they, for example, go down the 0% APR route on October 1 (which he has no idea about by the way, nor do any dealers), then the £2k deposit contribution would probably also be gone. So it's upto us!

There's a very high chance I may even put an order down for an SEL Exec tomorrow. Especially with these new pictures on Briskoda in the owners thread. It's getting far too difficult to resits! Will let you know!

The much longer wheelbase in the Superb will in itself lead to a much more comfortable ride and even out bumps with more ease.  IMO there would be no comparison between the Fabia and any Superb (new version or not) in terms of ride quality.  The mkII Superb handles bumps very well even with normal suspension and from the few Mk IIIs I've driven at this stage, there is a further improvement again (not massively but there is some) in how the car copes with uneven surfaces.  The new MQB platform certainly helps the Mk III.  Only exception is possibly on very low profile tyres i.e. 18s and 19s with a 40 profile, where you will get might more of a 'thump' when you hit a hole in the road.  However, even if you do go for the 18 inch wheels on the new Mk III, they will be 235/45/18 anyway so will be more comfortable than the lower profiles on the older model.  I Fabias can be quite fun to drive but the Superb really will in a different league to the Fabia in terms of refinement!

I drove a SLE exec diesel with 19" wheels in Bootle Liverpool and I can tel you the roads around there are really bad uneven rutted and loads of pot holes and the car was Superb (pardon the pun) you could tell there was a bump but you barely felt it. So I would agree with you Superb170 the two cars cant be compared, the Superb III will be so much better.

I believe from my rough numbers that the £2000 deposit contribution is higher than the interest charged over the term so effectively making it like 0%?

Also if they do go down the 0% finance route the deposits are usually much higher so worth considering.

• Like 1

Maybe my arithmetic is suspect but on, say, a £25,420 car (taken from the Skoda Finance calculator) the total amount payable after Skoda's £2000 contribution plus their cheeky £185 in various fees is £26,642.25 which means the deal has cost £1,222.25 net.

If they remove the £2000 contribution and charge 0% no doubt the £185 fees will remain so total cost will be 25,605 and the deal cost is £185 so in theory you will be £1,221.25 better off.

As I've sold my series II and just looking for a bit of a cushion I inquired of Sainsbury's Bank (see the Money Saving Expert) and have agreement to borrow £10,000 over 42 months at a total cost of £647.42.

42 payments of £253.51. APR 3.6%. This rate is slightly cheaper than the norm and offered to Nectar card holders.

I know the amount of credit given under the Skoda plan is higher (£17,920.00) and monthly payments are a bit lower 35 x £199.81.

Just an alternative.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/superb/93031/skoda-superb-14-tsi-se-l-executive-review

A nice read for those of us who have ordered this engine.

Having driven several small capacity petrol and diesel cars this is where they all suffer for the type of driving I do:

"In normal four-cylinder mode, low-speed acceleration is a little sluggish, but once the turbo kicks in, the performance is brisk enough and the petrol comes into its own at motorway speeds by being incredibly quiet.

At those low speeds, you’ll be shifting down the gears to make the most of gaps in the traffic, but it’s no real chore, as our car’s six-speed manual box is easy to use – the lever moving sweetly between ratios, accompanied by a light clutch. "

Most of my driving is dual carriageways with some pretty decent hills thrown into the equation, (not to mention all the HGV’s that have just come off the boat / train) yes I can make the small engines keep to the national speed limit... but they are bloody hard work compared to a 2.0L diesel, yes it may have the same power on paper and the 0-62 time is marginally quicker on the petrol but you have to work the engine much harder to get these figures.

For every day driving give me an engine with decent torque to make the driving experience as effortless as possible.

• Like 1

Having driven several small capacity petrol and diesel cars this is where they all suffer for the type of driving I do:

"In normal four-cylinder mode, low-speed acceleration is a little sluggish, but once the turbo kicks in, the performance is brisk enough and the petrol comes into its own at motorway speeds by being incredibly quiet.

At those low speeds, you’ll be shifting down the gears to make the most of gaps in the traffic, but it’s no real chore, as our car’s six-speed manual box is easy to use – the lever moving sweetly between ratios, accompanied by a light clutch. "

Most of my driving is dual carriageways with some pretty decent hills thrown into the equation, (not to mention all the HGV’s that have just come off the boat / train) yes I can make the small engines keep to the national speed limit... but they are bloody hard work compared to a 2.0L diesel, yes it may have the same power on paper and the 0-62 time is marginally quicker on the petrol but you have to work the engine much harder to get these figures.

For every day driving give me an engine with decent torque to make the driving experience as effortless as possible.

I've been driving a 1.4 TSI engine (non ACT) for the past 3.5 years.. totally agree with you. DSG helps a bit though.. and overall, it is quick & smooth.

Mrs has a 1.9 TDI and although slower on paper, I love driving it... Enjoyable torque.

Ordered S3 1.4 TSI purely for the marginal cost difference (co-car).

Edited by Didorx
  • Like 1

I've owned various combinations of engines over the years including a Superb 1.9pd and recently a Superb 1.4tsi (2014 facelift)

Loved the effortless grunt of the 1.9pd but as revs went up you had to find the next gear to keep the power going

My previous generation 1.4 tsi has less low down grunt but pulls OK from 1500 rpm and then keeps turning up the steam as you put the revs on. If you need to overtake you have a very wide power band all the way to 6000rpm.

Which one do I prefer - not sure - they are just different. Loved the low down urge of the diesel but had forgotten about the zap of a petrol further up the revs - bet the V6 Superb II is good!(er ignoring economy)

• Like 1

I've owned various combinations of engines over the years including a Superb 1.9pd and recently a Superb 1.4tsi (2014 facelift)

Loved the effortless grunt of the 1.9pd but as revs went up you had to find the next gear to keep the power going

My previous generation 1.4 tsi has less low down grunt but pulls OK from 1500 rpm and then keeps turning up the steam as you put the revs on. If you need to overtake you have a very wide power band all the way to 6000rpm.

Which one do I prefer - not sure - they are just different. Loved the low down urge of the diesel but had forgotten about the zap of a petrol further up the revs - bet the V6 Superb II is good!(er ignoring economy)

Agreed here, if overtaking on a single carriageway A road, the short power band of the diesel is a distraction especially with a manual box as invariably there will be a gear change needed half way through the manoeuvre, whereas petrol will normally see you safely heading back towards your side of the road before changing up.

In saying that I've become acustomed to my current diesel's ability to speed up quickly on motorways and dual carriageways when wanting to change lanes from slower speeds which I know my forthcoming 1.4TSI ACT won't do so well. Guess it will be learning a different style of driving with more reliance on anticipation which is maybe no bad thing.

Edited by Leeboy
  • Like 1

Agreed here, if overtaking on a single carriageway A road, the short power band of the diesel is a distraction especially with a manual box as invariably there will be a gear change needed half way through the manoeuvre, whereas petrol will normally see you safely heading back towards your side of the road before changing up.

In saying that I've become acustomed to my current diesel's ability to speed up quickly on motorways and dual carriageways when wanting to change lanes from slower speeds which I know my forthcoming 1.4TSI ACT won't do so well. Guess it will be learning a different style of driving with more reliance on anticipation which is maybe no bad thing.

OK the 1.4tsi really won me over today driving through Germany. Found myself cruising at 130kph in the outside lane with a Merc zooming up behind me (most autobahns are only two lanes) and had to put my foot down to get out of the way and "blimey it picked up" so much so that it pulled in behind me when I moved back in to the inside lane!

Still got 47.4mpg when I filled up as well although petrol is expensive here (especially 98+ ron ) compared to diesel

The Supeb III is lighter and has a more powerful engine (above the S) so should be even better than this - where do I sign.....

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Anyone got this version yet ?

Have a look in the owners register on the superb 3 forums, I think the only one I have seen is Bruno6. There's a few comments on there about it as well. He seems very happy.

• Like 1

What about as an estate? 1.4tsi 150 or 2.0tdi 150 it's btwn a golf estate and the Superb ? Thoughts

For me I would go for the superb every time. You get a lot more car for your money, and I think it looks so much better than the golf. The boot is bigger, much bigger and the interior space is amazing 3 adults in comfort in the back of the car.

I'm not sure on the 0-62 speeds for the golf but the superb does it in 8.6 sec and for me that is quick enough with a annual tax bill of £30 seems and insurance group 19, to me it is the full package.

Going from a 1.5 laguna diesel which does 0-62 in about 12.5 sec, so performance wise it will be far better than what I have, its all down to what you need and what you desire, but either car wouldn't be a bad choice.

Good luck with the decision. 

• Like 2

I agree with woody 3537 the superb over golf estate 0-60 not much in it and only 2kg difference in weight between 1.4tsi golf estate and superb 1.4tsi estate

Edited by woodmannuk
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Volkswagen has confirmed that around 800,000 of its petrol and diesel cars in Europe have "irregular" CO2 emission figures.

It's said to affect smaller petrol and diesel engines in the Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda and SEAT brands and is thought to be the 1.4-litre "cylinder-on-demand" petrol engine.

I agree with woody 3537 the superb over golf estate 0-60 not much in it and only 2kg difference in weight between 1.4tsi golf estate and superb 1.4tsi estate

This might signal my cancellation of the car I really wanted if the CO2 emissions go up on the 1.4 tsi act then its not as an attractive proposal, I will be following this closely that explains why the build week for my car has gone from Wk 50 this year to week 4 next year with a good chance of it slipping even more. 

• Like 2

Collected last night a Superb III SE L Exec 1.4TSI 150 DSG hatchback in Petrol Blue Metallic with Beige Interior.  Extras include Heated windscreen, rear wiper, rear camera, colour multidot and travel assist.
Having changed from a Skoda II  Elegance 170 TDi 4x4 I can say that the 1.4 TSI is both a great deal quieter and the DSG is seamlessly smooth and would appear to be plenty powerful enough.

• Like 4