1.2 TSI 110 wierd noise

Hi,

First of all, sorry if my spelling is a little of. English is not my first language :-)

hope some of you might have a suggestion.

Went to the stealer today because this noise is driving me insane as it is quite noticible inside the car.

The mechanic could not hear anything unusual :-(

The sound is like a mix of a cricket and rattle, it's completely independent of revs and the only thing that makes it go almost away is when the A/C is enabled.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=f2305b2a1615cda5&id=F2305B2A1615CDA5%212412&ithint=folder,jpg&authkey=!AExCqcefEWuA9wI

Took a couple of videos to illustrate, might need a good volume adjustment to really hear it. It's the sound that comes and goes in short intervals.

Best regards

Vels

Edited by vels

It could be the clutch of the AC compressor.  As you mentioned it is almost gone if you use your AC. If AC is off, it should run free.

A/C (on these cars) has not got a clutch as in the old days, ie no electro-magnetic clutch on the drive pulley, thought the compressor has some means of varying its pumped displacement, so I'd think/hope it is back to a belt tensioner etc changing its "tone" when the compressor is being asked to do some work, and so placing a higher load on the auxiliary belt.

Edited by rum4mo

A/C (on these cars) has not got a clutch as in the old days, ie no electro-magnetic clutch on the drive pulley, thought the compressor has some means of varying its pumped displacement, so I'd think/hope it is back to a belt tensioner etc changing its "tone" when the compressor is being asked to do some work, and so placing a higher load on the auxiliary belt.

I think you are thinking of the old Mk1 htp engines with swash plate compressor , Im fairly sure the tsi's have a conventional electromagnetic clutched compressor (might be wrong though)

Edited by xman

I think you are thinking of the old Mk1 htp engines with swash plate compressor , Im fairly sure the tsi's have a conventional electromagnetic clutched compressor (might be wrong though)

Now you are getting me worried, this AND the latest TSI is back with a belt driven camshaft, progress? I hope, in a nice way, that you are wrong!  No warnings in my S4 handbook to "keep using the A/C to keep its seals oiled up".  I'm sure that daughter's late 2009 Ibiza has the same type of A/C compressor as wife's late 2002 Polo.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

First of all, sorry if my spelling is a little of. English is not my first language :-)

hope some of you might have a suggestion.

Went to the stealer today because this noise is driving me insane as it is quite noticible inside the car.

The mechanic could not hear anything unusual :-(

The sound is like a mix of a cricket and rattle, it's completely independent of revs and the only thing that makes it go almost away is when the A/C is enabled.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=f2305b2a1615cda5&id=F2305B2A1615CDA5%212412&ithint=folder,jpg&authkey=!AExCqcefEWuA9wI

Took a couple of videos to illustrate, might need a good volume adjustment to really hear it. It's the sound that comes and goes in short intervals.

Best regards

Vels

Hi Vels, have you been able to fix this problem?

It's exactly the same as my 1.2 110 Fabia (see http://tinyurl.com/j2knve6 ) and another forum user 13TSI (see http://tinyurl.com/zl4r4va ).

It'd be great to hear if someone has been able to locate the exact culprit for these noises.

Edited by jon15

Hi,

Never did solve it

At the moment it doesn't make the Sound, but it did the First 20.000km.

Dealers would not take it seriously but could hear it.

Believe its temperature related, usually heard it at around 10-15 celcius. Pretty sure its not gone for good..

At the moment when using aircon the fresh air valves sounds like an old refrigiator.. or wierd electrical High pitching noise..

Car runs great, but all the sounds drive me nuts..

Wish I bought another car :-/ I knew the Fabia was not high end, but the GF's citigo actually has less funny noises..

Edited by vels

But the problem is they won't aknowledge these sounds as a *problem* -- at least they didn't at my car dealer's. So should we just go to them and instruct them to replace the pump and the drier? I don't think they'd do it just like that?

Maybe ask if the Workshop Manager or Dealer Principal wants to hand you the keys to the Perk / Demonstrator they are driving 

and they use your car for several days.

Or maybe call Skoda UK, raise a case, get a Handler and ask if they know a Official Skoda Dealership that might take the issue seriously and diagnose the fault properly then resolve the issue.

*cough cough*

New pump and dryer with a system flush required.

Thanks for your replies but out of interest, how do you know this? Do you know if there has been a TSB issued for it?

I haven't got the time at the moment to be having the agro of taking my car in to SEAT, but if anyone else does in the meantime, please keep us updated. I'm on 1,500 miles and mine is still doing it! It gets very loud when the weather is very warm!!

Thanks for your replies but out of interest, how do you know this? Do you know if there has been a TSB issued for it?

I haven't got the time at the moment to be having the agro of taking my car in to SEAT, but if anyone else does in the meantime, please keep us updated. I'm on 1,500 miles and mine is still doing it! It gets very loud when the weather is very warm!!

I know this because I read every piece of technical literature that skoda provide and save copies to refer back to. There's no bulletin as of yet but vw ag are very aware of this and have a fix for it; a new pump, dryer and system flush.

I've replaced a few at this point.

The cause is swarf build up in the sandem compressors that are fitted from the factory.

It's all stated in both the Jan and may tech webinars that are provided to every dealer, some just choose to ignore them.

• Like 2

I know this because I read every piece of technical literature that skoda provide and save copies to refer back to. There's no bulletin as of yet but vw ag are very aware of this and have a fix for it; a new pump, dryer and system flush.

The cause is swarf build up in the sandem compressors that are fitted from the factory.

It's all stated in both the Jan and may tech webinars that are provided to every dealer, some just choose to ignore them.

I did mention to them the webinar about Sandem compressors, but they said they couldn't find anything mentioned about it for my country (please note I'm not from UK) and that something which has appeared in the webinar in another country (e.g. UK) may not necessarily make it elsewhere because other countries may use different brand spare parts from different suppliers than another country and whatnot.

Edited by jon15

The fault is from the factory built parts, they're all built in the same factory with the same A/C compressors pal, if it was a specific steering, braking or dash component issue where lhd/rhd only parts were the problem then I'd agree but the pumps are the same regardless.

Sounds like they are deliberately procrastinating in the hope that you will go away and shut up.

(old fart's story!)  I remember when I complained about something simple wrong with my VW Passat which I personaly imported new (factory order all UK options) from NL, I was told that the dealer could not sort the problem as the car was not built using UK sourced parts!  (I later discovered that some of the fancy interior trim was indeed make in UK!)

Idiots!

Sorry but more specifically, you say new pump, dryer and system flush - which components are these? I don't want the dealer messing me around any more than they have already so just want to point them in exactly the right area :(

1. The compressor should be replaced

2. A new dryer unit for the condenser should be fitted

3. The system should be flushed before the new parts are fitted to prevent further contamination.

Thank you so much - i'll see how I get on next week.