The 280PS Thread

I am not happy with the noise from the tyres on my 280 Estate, Pirelli P7 235/40-19. Way noisier than my Superb II Estate on 225/40-18 Nokians on course tarmac. 

Saw my local friendly dealer today, they will change to another brand tomorrow, and keep on changing until I am happy.  :clap:

Anyone else having this problem with Pirellis? What tyres are you guys on, experience?

I'll post the test results, eventually.

Per

Hmm, just realised, must update my profile.

I switched to Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance (225/40-18) on my Superb 2 from Conti SportContact 2's & they are much better.

Quieter, decent grip, predictable & slightly better economy too.

DC 

Ahh, that must be why my 280 keeps going sideways on roundabouts :o

Top Gear-style showboating, eh? Fun, but – as you will know – a slow way around a bend, scrubbing off all the speed (and tread).

Speaking of which, just measured my P7s after approx. 12.5k miles: 3mm front / 4mm rear. Pretty good, I think, though replacement fronts not that far off as I would never let them get anywhere near the ridiculously low legal limit.

What snow foam are you using Phil ? I'm about to run out and thought I might try something else.

I've got some GTechniq Snow Foam Nick - decided that snow foam isn't for me, just can't be bothered with it all.

• Like 1

What are you using atm Nick? I like Bilt Hamber stuff. It's not as 'showy' as some others and tends to run off the car quite quickly rather than clinging, but to be fair that's what makes it work so well. It pulls the dirt off and then just drops it off the car. It's only about £13 for five litres, and you don't need to use much in a lance. 

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 1

Yes, you are right actually... well first two gear changes sound nasty to me :D

Since I upped to 350 PS with the RaceChip Ultimate the DSG allows you to go well into the red - over 7000 rpm - if you're giving it loud. It means the drop in revs when it shifts up is far greater than normally experienced so the gear changes feel more vicious because... they are. The drop in revs from over 7000 to 3500 from first to second and then second to third is virtually instant.

Whilst I've never timed it the increase in acceleration in comparison to the normal 280 kick down feels phenomenal. Rainmaker mentioned the new 200+ bhp Astra. I mentioned this in PMs but not in the forum. I was behind one of those with its very noisy wide bore exhausts when it decided to take off at the derestriction signs. I opened up merely intending to keep pace with it but acceleration from 30 mph was so rapid I felt it embarrassingly incumbent on me to overtake it - which seemed a better option at the time than needlessly using up brake pad linings!

I'd love to tweak the Ultimate up to its theoretical maximum of 500 PS but [a] I would fear for the survival of the engine/gearbox, it's nice to have the extra grunt on tap but I seldom feel the need push what I already have to its full potential, and [c] 350 PS and 450 Nm is more than enough to pass most anything that doesn't require a CEO or footballer's salary.

• Like 4

Can someone put my mind at rest here, Are the brakes unrated on the 280PS models? The reason I ask is that the Mk 3 vRS Octy got bigger calipers on the front making me think more power....more stopping power.

On that assumption with you guys chipping and getting even more power.......leads me to think that Skoda are missing a trick here. With the 280's being a "niche market" why don't charge for an uprated braking system. Or are the brakes fitted to the lower powered models really that much on top of the job???? 

The 280 brakes are uprated over the other models (as they were on its predecessor the Mk.II Superb 3.6). That's why you can't fit 16" winter wheels to the 280 because of the larger brake discs/calipers.

The 280 brakes are uprated over the other models (as they were on its predecessor the Mk.II Superb 3.6). That's why you can't fit 16" winter wheels to the 280 because of the larger brake discs/calipers.

Thanks for the info

Order placed! (Before the pound drops through the floor anymore and they are forced to up their price – including smartphone connect, their UK price is currently about £60 below their German price).

Prices of cars and a lot of other things are bound to start going up soon, too. GBP/EUR parity by January?

Is there a place with specifications about this? Will 17'' wheels fit? At least my dealer has the 16'' winter wheel set option available for all engines ...

Is there a place with specifications about this? Will 17'' wheels fit? At least my dealer has the 16'' winter wheel set option available for all engines ...

Look here.

17" is the minimum that will fit the 220 PS TSi or 280 PS TSi.

• Like 1

S2 all detailed ready for my son to take over. I hope he has as much fun as I have.

280 delivered tomorrow! Photos to follow  :clap: post-61647-0-59297300-1476008584_thumb.jpg

• Like 3