The 280PS Thread

When pushing it to the maximum and holding it at 257 km/h (160 mph1).....

Another great report, thanks.

As for this particular quote:

So that was the indicated speed when you had it floored for a while on a level stretch of autobahn? I’m curious as I have so far not taken mine past an indicated 150 mph, where I certainly felt there was potential for more.

Clearly the limiter did not kick in at an indicated 250 km/h as in theory it should, then? It must, if it works at all, surely be linked to the car’s indicated speed, rather than actual, true speed.

Edited by eurotraveller

So that was the indicated speed when you had it floored for a while on a level stretch of autobahn? I’m curious as I have so far not taken mine past an indicated 150 mph, where I certainly felt there was potential for more.

Clearly the limiter did not kick in at an indicated 250 km/h as in theory it should, then? It must, if it works at all, surely be linked to the car’s indicated speed, rather than actual, true speed.

I don't profess to know how the limiter works. It simply reached that indicated speed and held it. It didn't need full throttle to maintain it but no amount of additional throttle or mode change (Sport) made any difference.

Neither did inclination have any effect. It simply held the speed consistently up hill and down dale and adamantly refused to budge beyond 257.

The limit is smooth. Not the ABS-like judder of other (older) speed limited cars I've driven.

The original 'digital' speedometers, as opposed to the bowden cable 'analogue', used a magnet on the drive shaft with a single diode so every time the magnet passed the diode a 'pulse' was sent and the number of pulses per second determined the distance travelled. Distance/Time=Speed.

No doubt technology has moved on since those early days but I haven't (needed to) keep abreast. I would surmise that it's still some kind of digital pulse that is sent separately to both the speedometer and whatever voodoo electronics restricts the top speed. If the limiter is more accurately tuned to the pulses-per-second than the speedometer then it would account for the difference, which is only 2.8%. Just my thoughts but I may be completely wrong.

And...in the forlorn hope that the driver of a blue Jag F-type S in racing trim leaving the Nurburgring ever happens to read this: Being overtaken by a Superb doesn't mean you need to drive like a total c---, especially when the back of your car displays the logo "Drive for Safety" and you do the exact opposite.

Just to clarify, this resulted in the full blown "front assist" operating. Having just passed this numpty I'd taken my foot off the accelerator to allow the ACC to gently slow the car for the queue ahead on approach to roadworks. The prat undertook me then swerved out directly in front of me. Realising he was going way too fast he then rammed on his brakes. Although I hit the brakes hard the front assist had already applied full emergency braking a split second before me, the seat belts tensioned, and the Audi behind me had to swerve to avoid running into the back of me.

Despite using possibly every swear word known in the english language (which nobody would have heard over the din the alarm was making) it served to prove the system works. It more than made up for those occasional false positives.

• Like 2

Just to clarify, this resulted in the full blown "front assist" operating. Having just passed this numpty I'd taken my foot off the accelerator to allow the ACC to gently slow the car for the queue ahead on approach to roadworks. The prat undertook me then swerved out directly in front of me. Realising he was going way too fast he then rammed on his brakes. Although I hit the brakes hard the front assist had already applied full emergency braking a split second before me, the seat belts tensioned, and the Audi behind me had to swerve to avoid running into the back of me.

Despite using possibly every swear word known in the english language (which nobody would have heard over the din the alarm was making) it served to prove the system works. It more than made up for those occasional false positives.

I should imagine that took quite a bit of counting to 10 on your part before the Zen like facade returned... What a numpty! :D

• Like 1

Anybody had fuel expansion issues in this rare hot weather? My 280 estate was at roadside for an hour in full sunlight.An hour later neighbour tells me fuel running on to road behind o/s rear wheel. Tank was less than half full. I eased pressure at filler cap and fuel gushed out. I and AA suspect a tank breather pipe issue and booked to dealer. I have never experienced this previously.

Anybody had fuel expansion issues in this rare hot weather? My 280 estate was at roadside for an hour in full sunlight.An hour later neighbour tells me fuel running on to road behind o/s rear wheel. Tank was less than half full. I eased pressure at filler cap and fuel gushed out. I and AA suspect a tank breather pipe issue and booked to dealer. I have never experienced this previously.

Eek, that doesn't sound good. Not experienced anything like that in mine, but when I took the cap off the other day it made a very long, loud sucking noise that lasted for about 10 seconds (even with the cap fully off). I dunno what that was about either, but you've got me worried now. :D

It was only available in Style (SE L) up to now but I see the 280 is now available in Ireland in L&K trim for €49,995 (hatch) and €51,120 (combi) excluding delivery and any options, although admittedly you wouldn't need too many options on an L&K!  It would be nice to see a few on our roads seen as the old V6 never made it over here.  I know a few Irish members on here have 280s already.

yup

i had to go for a style and spec it up as they point blank refused to sell me a l&k combi !

i see its not in the configurator yet, but is in the pricelist. 

Dunno what to think about this, i was told by skoda that sportline version is NOT coming to Ireland in 280 option and now they add this engine to L&K, i dont see any sense here, need to wait for some clarification before i place my order. So far i got a deal for style with 5k discount, but prefer sportline anyway

Dunno what to think about this, i was told by skoda that sportline version is NOT coming to Ireland in 280 option and now they add this engine to L&K, i dont see any sense here, need to wait for some clarification before i place my order. So far i got a deal for style with 5k discount, but prefer sportline anyway

It would be great if things could settle a bit with Skoda Ireland and they actually provide clarity on some spec/model line-ups.  I still can't get a straight answer from a dealer about the availably of ivory leather for example and each has a different story.  Same with lead times - I was told 8, 10 and 12 weeks from 3 different dealers.  The configurator doesn't tie in 100% with what dealers say is actually available on various models which gets a little frustrating.  I know its probably the same in other markets too.

They are also supposed to be expanding the petrol range also and adding a Style model to the 1.4TSi.

"Are there people out there who want a fast car that’s not a performance car?" Yes, me - a fast car that's still comfortable after driving 650 miles on a single journey while lugging three adults and all their gear (though while I'd agree it's not got sports car handling, I'd dispute that it's not a performance car - though that comment itself raises questions in my own mind as to the driving ability of the reviewer).

"Dare I say it, the sensible and much cheaper diesel options - one of which Alex took on a 2000 mile European road trip - make a lot more sense in a car like this." But this Alex took a 280/350 on a 2,500 mile European road trip - I wonder which one had more fun driving?

Not to decry the review, but yet another "diesel makes more sense" comment that underlines they just don't get the market niche this car is aimed at.

Edited by BillyJim
  • Like 4

I’ve made my very low opinion of car ‘journalists’ generally very explicit here before. From that baseline, I think it’s not bad, on the whole – though BillyJim’s points are very apt. Of course bringing the ‘sensible diesel option’ into it yet again is predictable and tedious, but at least he comes up with the most plausible reason why Skoda would offer this version at all.

The ‘sleeper’ thing is precisely among the most appealing aspects of this car; to some of us anyway. So much better than giving the car a ‘go-faster’ look, which always seems a bit embarrassing. The only major downside is the loose driving position; much more supportive seats would be nice. I certainly agree with the writer there.

Clearly none of these ‘journalists’ have driven the car at real speed. If they had, they’d know how good and stable it is when pushed like that, and they wouldn’t write such rubbish about the handling.

(Written while in Germany – where, incidentally, I just rode in a Mercedes e-class taxi that had the seats that tighten on cornering and give a decent massage, too – nice!)

• Like 1

Reviewers of the 280 just do not seem to understand that there are a lot of people who want a fast car and  are not bothered about fuel consumption but do not want black trim, ultra low profile tyres and all the other embarrasing stuff tacked on making the car look like an overdressed Christmas Tree!

The 280 is possible the most perfect car for my tastes that I have ever owned.

that had the seats that tighten on cornering

I had an E class with those, they were great when they were working and when you got used to them, but very unreliable, they work on vacuum and were constantly getting leaks in the pipe work, also the air pump burnt out when I first got the car, luckily still under warranty as it is an £800 item!

• Like 3

The 280 is possible the most perfect car for my tastes that I have ever owned.

Couldn’t agree more. (And we’ve had 7 Mercedes, one BMW and still have a newish ‘premium brand’ car in my immediate family).

Mercedes are all well and good (though far from problem-free), but the value for money is poor and they cost twice as much to service as a Skoda. And the badge means so much to some people, which is precisely why I prefer not to wear it. I love it when they (initially and instinctively) look down on Skoda.

Edited by eurotraveller

I bet you did. :D It's funny how reviews keep on comparing it to sports cars, especially the handling. I actually don't find my Superb much less agile than my outgoing 2015 Mazda 6 tourer (which had a very firm and sporty chassis). Maybe I still have transport blocks in (lol) but the lean is minimal for the size and shape of the car and you can carry a fair whack of speed through a corner or roundabout as long as you... um... know how to corner. It's certainly stiffer by far than my 2010 Superb mk2.

This isn't, nor has it ever been, a sports car. It's a GT/performance type car. Think muscle rather than grace, Mustang rather than MX5. And what's wrong with that? While I'm not comparing the two class:class, it's a Bentley Continental GT rather than an M3. If you want a car mostly for hooning up B roads on a weekend, you may prefer to look elsewhere. However if you need to point one across a continent, to travel at speed in relative comfort while you devour countries whole, you could do a lot worse than the Superb unless you happen to have won the lottery recently.

I get the point about the seating, and I do wish they were a tad more supportive and comfortable. That said, I'm 6'5" and have arthritis, so I'm a bit of an exception. A slightly larger seat (even the Octavia seats are taller) with more supportive bolsters and shaped cushions would have been ideal for me. The Mondeo's seats never look comfy but they always do a better job and holding me in place and keeping my spine and hips fresh. That's a nit-pick though, and as I said I know I'm an exception. The Superb is still very comfortable in the scheme of things, and I've covered six hours in a stretch (North West to Devon) without hardly noticing...

"Would Sir like a 150ps four banger tractor in his Mulsanne?".... No, actually. Sir would like to get there quietly, without rattling loose his fillings, and to be able to stretch the engine to a number higher than 4,000 without there being a lot of noise but no acceleration. Why do reviewers default to diesel for anything and everything?!

I realise we're in a minority, but to me a large petrol Superb (or similar) is the ideal family car, which is why we got one. It swallows me, Mrs Rainmaker, a ten year old and two babies, a double pram, a week's shopping and there's still room for other stuff and for everyone to stretch out. It's quiet, anyone can nap when they please, nobody is crabby, arguing or sore after a long drive, and for me I get to win the traffic light GP without even trying (or noticing :D) and can devour the M6 - and occasional B roads - with a smile on my face without developing tinnitus or getting vibration white-finger via the controls. After all that it still gives us 35-40mpg a tank now it's run in. What's not to like?! So no, it's not just for OAPs or people who accidentally thought they were buying a sports car lol...

Oi, us OAP's sometimes make proper choices too!

(SWMBO is now thinking the the Golf was a mistake, she should have swapped her '11 vRS Octy for my Superb, (memory seats, etc) & we should have ordered a SuperB 280......)

Maybe start looking to change next year...........

DC

• Like 1

Oi, us OAP's sometimes make proper choices too!

(SWMBO is now thinking the the Golf was a mistake, she should have swapped her '11 vRS Octy for my Superb, (memory seats, etc) & we should have ordered a SuperB 280......)

Maybe start looking to change next year...........

DC

Of course David. I also spotted your comment on the article. :)  I was replying to the idea presented by 'Jakob' in the comments that the seating position was because it was built for OAPs.  :thumbup:

The thing about the driving position can be explained easily. Old men have a hard time getting out of the car if the seat is too low, this is also why they buy SUVs even though they won’t see any dirt in their life. My grandfather (76 years old) once tried to get in the Ford Fiesta, no problem. But he genuinely couldn’t get out without help because the seats are too low. And since the majority of people who buy new cars are in fact old men, it’s easily understandable how they make a car targeted to them. It’s the same as you explained with the BMW X1: it’s awful to drive for me, but all the people who have one (they all were pensioners) found the seating position and the steering more than excellent. No shame in building an old man’s car.

I may sound like James May now, but the only thing I don’t understand is why they put a 280 bhp powerhouse then. Old men will probably take the 1.4 TSI and company cars all have the 2.0 TDI. Sure, it’s fast, but the question is whether the car actually needs this power. Let’s face it, nobody would buy a Skoda Superb if he wants a fast car.

The only major downside is the loose driving position; much more supportive seats would be nice. I certainly agree with the writer there.

I get the point about the seating, and I do wish they were a tad more supportive and comfortable.

Strange. That's been one of the surprising pluses for me. Coming from a Superb II the (driver) seat was my only real gripe with that car. No matter how much tweaking I did I would always start to get an ache at the bottom of my spine after about two hours driving. I eventually put it down to a steel crossmember in the seat that I learned about here on Briskoda. With the Superb III I was able to find the seat position sweet spot faster than my previous cars (though I put that down to luck) and now after spending an entire day spent driving I still arrive without a single ache or pain.

The only complaint on my last trip was from the rear seat passenger who thought it was too comfortable, which I guess was his excuse for sleeping most of the way.

Written while in Germany

Lucky bugger. :envy: Wish I was there! Need to wait another three months now. Hopefully I might see some snow this time around as I've yet to put the winter tyres + Haldex combo to the ultimate test.

The brown envelope from DVLA lay on my doormat this morning, asking for a donation of £180. Hard to believe a year has flown by so fast and, most importantly, not a single regret choosing the 280 despite a couple of niggles that were quickly and easily resolved.

[Note the mention of 280 at the end just to keep it on topic  :notme:]

• Like 1

Strange. That's been one of the surprising pluses for me. Coming from a Superb II the (driver) seat was my only real gripe with that car. No matter how much tweaking I did I would always start to get an ache at the bottom of my spine after about two hours driving. I eventually put it down to a steel crossmember in the seat that I learned about here on Briskoda. With the Superb III I was able to find the seat position sweet spot faster than my previous cars (though I put that down to luck) and now after spending an entire day spent driving I still arrive without a single ache or pain.

The only complaint on my last trip was from the rear seat passenger who thought it was too comfortable, which I guess was his excuse for sleeping most of the way.

We're all bio-mechanically different, I suppose. As I said I'm 6'5" tall and as such my shoulders are well proud of the top of the seats. I tend to find that I have to choose between supporting the bottom of my spine or relaxing my shoulders (though fiddling with the lumbar support has eased this significantly). I still managed to cover six hours driving without any real incident, so they're definitely up there among the best seats I've had to date. If I was half a foot shorter and/or didn't have the arthritis I suspect I'd be making very different comments, but there we are. To be fair I find the steering wheel much more annoying (for my size/shape). It doesn't come out near far enough (which adds to the whole 'leaning forward from the shoulders issue), but again it's easy to adapt around thanks to the electric driver's seat. It's just one of the downsides of being so tall and having near 3' long legs. :D

Of course David. I also spotted your comment on the article. :)  I was replying to the idea presented by 'Jakob' in the comments that the seating position was because it was built for OAPs.  :thumbup:

No worries, I/we (SWMBO) realize that enthusiastic OAP drivers aren't that common out there.

We visited family in Norfolk yesterday & were trundled around for the afternoon by my 70 year old cousin in his Suzuki Swift. 

He delights in cruising on single carriage-way main roads at 40-45 mph at the front of an ever-lengthening queue! 

He really doesn't understand why we like our little little fleet of nippy cars, but when he was much younger he ran an Austin A40 with two big Webers & loud exhaust.

Perhaps he's the adult & we are still in out 1st childhood?

Cheers, DC.