The 280PS Thread

Afternoon folks. 

Had my 280 a few weeks almost now, 1300 miles on her. Loving it very much so far! 

Quick question to fellow owners, after such a short time and low mileage I've noticed the tail pipes are already sooting up and just wondered if this is normal/healthy? It's been 12 years since I owned a petrol car.

Cheers. 

IMG_9378.JPG

IMG_9380.JPG

3 hours ago, PSM said:

Anyone gone from the V6 S2 to the new 280? What was the difference like? In terms of performance, handling and economy?

I can tell you next week :D

Had a V6 S2 until 2 years ago.  Stupid Outlander right now. But the new S3 is being delivered on friday.  

Loved the S2, but it became to expensive in insurance after the first 3 years, when it doubled to 200+EUR a month.  The new S3 strangely lands at just 35EUR a month

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martysmarty said:

I can tell you next week :D

Had a V6 S2 until 2 years ago.  Stupid Outlander right now. But the new S3 is being delivered on friday.  

Loved the S2, but it became to expensive in insurance after the first 3 years, when it doubled to 200+EUR a month.  The new S3 strangely lands at just 35EUR a month

congratulations on the new car. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

On 21/09/2017 at 14:34, TGR said:

Thanks Penguin17. I'm not so worried about cleaning it, I have some stuff for that. 

I was more wondering if it's normal to look sooty so soon? 

I'd not be too worried, the 4 tips on my 5 year old Superb 2 look black, but no worse than 4 years ago.

Our Golf also has 4 tips, but 2 of them are dummies, so that does look a bit odd. 

dc

55 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

I'd not be too worried, the 4 tips on my 5 year old Superb 2 look black, but no worse than 4 years ago.

Our Golf also has 4 tips, but 2 of them are dummies, so that does look a bit odd. 

dc

Is that right for the R?  So basically it's just the same exhaust as the GTI, just the cosmetically different tail pipes? 

5 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Is that right for the R?  So basically it's just the same exhaust as the GTI, just the cosmetically different tail pipes? 

Our is an R estate, & since it's longer (app. 10", all after the rear axle) it has a different  set-up to the R hatchback.

The GTi & R hatches are different, all 4 tips on the R do get dirty.

I've just ordered a new 280 L&K estate with a good discount , was very close to a golf R estate but thought this was far more car for the money. 7k discount through coast2coast.

After driving 2 litres Audi and vag diesels decided I wanted a petrol with a bit of poke, we also have a Kodiaq 2 litre 190 diesel.

Apparently 16 weeks to wait but I'm not in a rush. 

Looking forward to joining the club

Edited by Sw1

4 hours ago, Sw1 said:

I've just ordered a new 280 L&K estate with a good discount , was very close to a golf R estate but thought this was far more car for the money. 7k discount through coast2coast.

After driving 2 litres Audi and vag diesels decided I wanted a petrol with a bit of poke, we also have a Kodiaq 2 litre 190 diesel.

Apparently 16 weeks to wait but I'm not in a rush. 

Looking forward to joining the club

The Superb 280 is indeed much more car than the Golf R, but perhaps too much more to fit in the average parking place...I could move up to a Superb 3, but I'm concerned that the increased width of the newer car might be a real problem.

The new 2.0 TSi Passat Estate is just a little smaller than the new Superb, nicely finished, only available with the 220 engine, &

really boring to drive, so it's not really a contender.

Keep the old Superb & find a vRS 245 perhaps?

DC

• Like 1

Just had word from the garage that I can collect our 280 on Friday afternoon. Very much looking forward to it, it's almost identical to Martysmarty's but it's so long since it was ordered that I can't quite remember which wheels we chose!

9 hours ago, juux said:

And it’s here.

Lovely, although it does appear the dealer has borked up the order slightly and it was missing the tablet mounts, manual in English and possibly some other bits and bobs. 

9456FCDD-DA20-476C-A390-678071ED53C3.jpeg

Aren't the headrest tablet mounts dealer accessories anyway? The universal holder clips to the headrest struts and the tablet holder clips into that.

Also it's easy enough to just download a pdf of the manual in English from the main skoda website. They probably had no choice in the manual language that comes with the car, but id guess it is available to order.

Yeah, wasn’t hugely bothered at the pickup as I know it can be sorted later.

Cold enough here this morning to justify the preheater and heated steering wheel. Toasty!

I chose a 150 over a 190 having read comments on this Forum.

12,000 miles on, including caravan towing, I am not disappointed.  Smooth, quiet unless seriously extended, economical and with sufficient grunt for today’s traffic conditions.

’Nuff said.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

More critically (kind of) it seems that the premium network connection (external SIM slot) was missed meaning...well, not exactly sure. The various service provisions and connectivity is a bit of a muddle and things seem to be working (Skoda Connect, remote pre-heating etc.) so I'm not sure it'll be that big a deal. 

Will it have any real-world impact?