The 280PS Thread

Had the MoT done on Monday and I was chatting with the girl in sales who I originally dealt with.

Apart from WLTP having become a swear word in the dealership she says the 272 is now definitely being shipped to the dealerships.

The only new cars they've been receiving for the last couple of months have been Fabias. Everything else has been on hold, waiting at the docks in Emden.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I received my 2016 L&K estate car two years ago, and when asked by the dealer how I liked it compared to my 2012 diesel had to admitt that I thought it was noisier.  It is on 19 inch summer tyres, and the dealer immediately suggested to try on diffeerent tyres and keep the less noisy ones. I did, no cost to me. The 18 inch winter ones were OK(ish).

Still at lot of road noise, and the dealer has been looking for solutions ever since, solutions that could be approved by Skoda Norway and still keep the five year guarantee.

Two weeks ago they called me and asked to drop by, gave me a brand new Kodiaq, and kept my car for two days. They took it to a center specializing on noise proofing Teslas (which are a dime a dozen here in Norway). The sparyed on a noise reducing solution into the front wheel whells, measured the result, and when not happy, tore out the interior at the rear and added noise reduction mats all over. 

Measured the result, and it is now quieter than a 2018 model. Can't say that the weight increase makes any difference, performance wise/

All at no cost to me. 

Pleased with my dealer and their service? Moi? You bet!

Per

• Like 2

I'm moving to Norway! Best I've been offered by my dealer is a free wash and vac, and I didn't even trust them to do that...

Good to hear great customer service is still available somewhere. And I'll bet your dealer sees a lot of repeat business Per.

20 minutes ago, EddGee said:

I once got offered a job in Scandinavia. 

I said Nor-way 

:giggle:

If you're telling these 'jokes' to your dealers I can see why they keep sabotaging your cars! :o:D (too soon?). 

(I actually did chuckle, just a bit...) 

47 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

If you're telling these 'jokes' to your dealers I can see why they keep sabotaging your cars! :o:D (too soon?). 

(I actually did chuckle, just a bit...) 

Nah not  too soon. 

I can take it on the chin. :makeup:

Car was in workshop today. Finished tomorrow lunchtime then pick up and pictures.  

Edited by EddGee

3 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

I'm moving to Norway! Best I've been offered by my dealer is a free wash and vac, and I didn't even trust them to do that...

Good to hear great customer service is still available somewhere. And I'll bet your dealer sees a lot of repeat business Per.

It gets better, twice I've mentioned that the rear wiper squeacks, it does its job, just making noise while doing it. Twice they replaced with a new. Every time I drop by for a chat (they're all real petrolheads) they will refill washer fluid, for free. And once a year they invite all customers, with family, for an outing with lots of fun for all, BBQ and drinks, I will bring three of our grandchildren.

They're doing great business, repeat and otherwise. I'm listed for the new Vision X, if they can supply a suitable crazy colour. :cool:

8 minutes ago, Ancient Mariner said:

It gets better, twice I've mentioned that the rear wiper squeacks, it does its job, just making noise while doing it. Twice they replaced with a new. Every time I drop by for a chat (they're all real petrolheads) they will refill washer fluid, for free. And once a year they invite all customers, with family, for an outing with lots of fun for all, BBQ and drinks, I will bring three of our grandchildren.

They're doing great business, repeat and otherwise. I'm listed for the new Vision X, if they can supply a suitable crazy colour. :cool:

Aren’t vehicles far more expensive in Norway and all other parts of Scandinavia than the British Isles?

Maybe that’s why the dealers have a plate full of biscuits when you arrive. 

Trust me mate. Nothing in this life is for free. 

19 hours ago, EddGee said:

Aren’t vehicles far more expensive in Norway and all other parts of Scandinavia than the British Isles?

Maybe that’s why the dealers have a plate full of biscuits when you arrive. 

Trust me mate. Nothing in this life is for free. 

Yes, cars are bloody expensive in Norway and Denmark, not so in Sweden. Reason is high VAT, 25% in our case, import duties, taxes and whatnot. The thing is, unloaded at port prices are lower than in most countries, so I do not think that our dealers have a higher mark up than elsewhere. Then again, there's no such thing as a free lunch. 

One thing I have learned during many years in sales is that when nothing happens, there's nothing to impress you, but when things go pear shaped you have an opportunity to put things right, and if you do it for free, you have a customer for life. used that trick more times than I care to remember.

Per

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ancient Mariner said:

One thing I have learned during many years in sales is that when nothing happens, there's nothing to impress you, but when things go pear shaped you have an opportunity to put things right, and if you do it for free, you have a customer for life. used that trick more times than I care to remember.

Per

Unfortunately so many companies/people are caught up in the short term view that they fail to realize this point. Take a small hit now and you will reap the benefits later with customer loyalty (and the fact they will probably pay a premium for the peace of mind of getting things sorted when needed).

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ancient Mariner said:

Per

Very true.  IMO *great* customer service isn't a measure of how you're dealt with during a smooth transaction/deal/experience; it's how you're dealt with when things go wrong.   

All good points and agree completely. 

Ive got the car back now. 

Collected from the bodyshop today and the work completed is impeccable. 

We’ve used this body shop for my wife’s car last year and they conducted work to a very high standard. 

The tyre seemed to be ok upon their inspection with no nail found although they did remove a stone trapped in the tread. 

Bit baffled by that as I was convinced I saw a nail head in the tread and also a warning flagged up on the dash regarding check the tyre pressure. 

Oh well. Can’t explain that one. 

They did however replace the pollen filter. 

They showed me the old one, which was very dark in colour and contaminated, so replacing it has made all the difference. 

The dealership was keen to put things right very quickly and did so without fuss or argument. 

I have to say I was very impressed. 

Looking forward to enjoying the car now and am very happy with it. 

• Like 1

Great to hear @EddGee :thumbup:

How are you feeling now? Hope it hasn’t spoiled the overall experience for you. Looks like you picked a good time to get back into a 4x4 

Hopefully you can now start enjoying your new car 

Edited by penguin17

29 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Great to hear @EddGee :thumbup:

How are you feeling now? Hope it hasn’t spoiled the overall experience for you. Looks like you picked a good time to get back into a 4x4 

Hopefully you can now start enjoying your new car 

Feels good to be a 280 owner again. 

First noticeable difference was how quiet the Superb is compared to the Octavia. 

Also how fast it reaches the permitted speeds with minimal fuss. 

Its a beast. :heart:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EddGee said:

Feels good to be a 280 owner again. 

First noticeable difference was how quiet the Superb is compared to the Octavia. 

Also how fast it reaches the permitted speeds with minimal fuss. 

Its a beast. :heart:

Eddgee- where in the UK are you? I also bought a 280 sportline albeit an estate, from Sinclair Swansea about 2 weeks back. Noticed your post about being 5 hours or so away. Haven't seen the car yet as up in Durham, bought on phone, so just autotrader pics. Waiting for delivery - sat next to a pool on holiday hence the delay.

Had a Octavia vrs a while back (2011) but more recently been driving a 2016 Ibiza cupra, so hopefully the superb matches up for my morning commute.

Back from holiday Sunday, hopefully for delivery on monday - then I can join the 280 club.

1 hour ago, durhamlandy said:

Eddgee- where in the UK are you? I also bought a 280 sportline albeit an estate, from Sinclair Swansea about 2 weeks back. Noticed your post about being 5 hours or so away. Haven't seen the car yet as up in Durham, bought on phone, so just autotrader pics. Waiting for delivery - sat next to a pool on holiday hence the delay.

Had a Octavia vrs a while back (2011) but more recently been driving a 2016 Ibiza cupra, so hopefully the superb matches up for my morning commute.

Back from holiday Sunday, hopefully for delivery on monday - then I can join the 280 club.

Can’t fault them mate. 

Great at support in what could only be described as a calamity of **** ups. 

To be fair it looks like the delivery boys didn’t take the due care that they should have done and clattered the car up against the winch of the truck upon loading. 

Make sure you examine the car thoroughly which I’ve no doubt you would do. 

Apparently they do a high percentage of their business from customers who never set foot in the dealership.   

Probably gives them a nice little chunk of the market, so it’s important for them to put things right very swiftly when they go wrong, like they did for me. 

Edited by EddGee

For fellow peeps eagerly awaiting an update, any update...in relation to the 272ps WLTP approval, the German 'Konfigurator' is now showing this info, so I assume it now has certification and just has to work its way through the UK system somehow, sometime, by someone..

I assume the first set of figures (NEFZ) to relate to the 'Correlated NEDC' figures, and thus what UK VED will be calculated on. It has 2 CO2s less which is interesting-ish. 

It also has a faster 0-62 of 0.2s than the 280!  :tongue:

I do feel a sense of shame having trawled other configurators to find this, however, hopefully it cheers someone else up as well.  

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 18.25.47.png

• Like 1

@Chas51 Thank you for this! I did the same with the Czech one when they changed it to 7 speed on their site :D

So does that mean we will be charged according to the new correlated figures for definite? Otherwise that's a fair price rise if it was based on the new co2 figure....

Also noticed peak torque range is 500rpm smaller unfortunately. 2000 to 5400 down from 1700 to 5600rpm. Perhaps due to the new box?

Edited by boydeee
Additional info

2 minutes ago, boydeee said:

@Chas51 Thank you for this! I did the same with the Czech one when they changed it to 7 speed on their site :D

So does that mean we will be charged according to the new correlated figures for definite? Otherwise that's a fair price rise if it was based on the new co2 figure....

I am (disclaimer alert) 99.9% sure that the VED will be based on the correlated NEDC figures, the UK Government will be switching to WLTP figures for calculations in 2020, but my understanding is that it applies at the point of registration only, not retrospectively.  Therefore £515 for year 1 and £140/£450 thereafter depending on RRP and annual inflationary/budget increases.

The legislation is quite clear that it should not negatively affect the consumer http://wltpfacts.eu/wltp-how-much-car-tax/

Also the following discusses that the system will need to 'calibrated' to take account of the increases under WLTP:   https://www.activacontracts.co.uk/news/government-confirms-april-2020-tax-switch-to-wltp-following-consultation.html.    I did see an official UK Govt article somewhere but can't find it now.

Which makes you wonder WTF the point of the whole exercise is/was...  :angry:

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Chas51 said:

I am (disclaimer alert) 99.9% sure that the VED will be based on the correlated NEDC figures, the UK Government will be switching to WLTP figures for calculations in 2020, but my understanding is that it applies at the point of registration only, not retrospectively.  Therefore £515 for year 1 and £140/£450 thereafter depending on RRP and annual inflationary/budget increases.

The legislation is quite clear that it should not negatively affect the consumer http://wltpfacts.eu/wltp-how-much-car-tax/

Also the following discusses that the system will need to 'calibrated' to take account of the increases under WLTP:   https://www.activacontracts.co.uk/news/government-confirms-april-2020-tax-switch-to-wltp-following-consultation.html.    I did see an official UK Govt article somewhere but can't find it now.

Which makes you wonder WTF the point of the whole exercise is/was...  :angry:

That made me chuckle! I have to agree with you on that point.

Chaos amongst the majority of manufacturers, huge backlogs and delays. Perhaps they should have been better prepared, but it's not panned out very well at all!

1 hour ago, Chas51 said:

For fellow peeps eagerly awaiting an update, any update...in relation to the 272ps WLTP approval, the German 'Konfigurator' is now showing this info, so I assume it now has certification and just has to work its way through the UK system somehow, sometime, by someone..

I assume the first set of figures (NEFZ) to relate to the 'Correlated NEDC' figures, and thus what UK VED will be calculated on. It has 2 CO2s less which is interesting-ish. 

It also has a faster 0-62 of 0.2s than the 280!  :tongue:

I do feel a sense of shame having trawled other configurators to find this, however, hopefully it cheers someone else up as well.  

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 18.25.47.png

Cheers for this. I was told the other day the pricing for the 272 had now been confirmed but that it hadn't made its way onto the UK configurator. Do you know how much these prices represent an increase on previous? And any reason the price should go up at all?!