The 280PS Thread

2 hours ago, EddGee said:

So much choice out there and endless performance tweaks. 

This is my fun/weekend car. 

A little Abarth 595 Competizone.

It’s 180Bhp with Brembo brakes, Koni Shocks, Monza exhaust, Bmc air filter all as standard spec. 

My Superb 280 would destroy it down a runway but I’ve not had so much fun round twisty Yorkshire roads in any car more than this, ever. 

Its an amazing little thing and sounds unbelievable. 

I can relate to this. My wife has a Suzuki Swift Sport. The naturally aspirated one before they downsized and added a turbo. On paper it's not quick and only has around 136bhp but it's so much fun! It weighs nothing and it eggs you on, all without smashing triple figures on the speedo. You certainly don't need endless bhp to have fun. I'd almost go as far to say around 200 is perfect. 272 and AWD is nice though B)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Boxerdog1 said:

It's nice to have a second little 'cart' to have a bit of fun ..... here's my 28 year old one in a timeless location . 

vpmx62uh.jpg

Coincidentally, my first ever car was a Mk1 MX5 1.8 S and obviously my current car is the 280 :)

• Like 1

Fwiw the latest ep of MCM is Moog putting basically everything from Revo on his 2015 Golf R. Same engine so it's of interest. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DBT85 said:

Fwiw the latest ep of MCM is Moog putting basically everything from Revo on his 2015 Golf R. Same engine so it's of interest. 

Is there a secret Skoda handshake?

Screenshot_20190422-192632.jpg

Screenshot_20190422-192655.jpg

Edited by SteHaworth

This just in:  http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust.products.cfm?variantid=1630

Milltek have pre-released their downpipe options for GPF equipped cars (all us 272bhp WLTP poor sods...). No photos as development is under-way but since it went online we should be expecting it soon I imagine. According to what they told me, the downpipe deletes the twin GPF and utilises a single high flow assembly (quality HJS 200-cell is an option and the one I'd personally go for) 

Pretty sure the stock downpipe on a Golf R, Audi S3 and Superb 272 AWD is identical but since they haven't tried it on a Superb yet they don't list it as compatible. Maybe some lucky guy could offer his car for a fitment test (and a discounted price??), I would love to "volunteer" if I was in the UK...

First service booked in for next Friday.  It's the first time that I've been asked to pay for a courtesy car (but apparently free if I'd bought the car from them).  It's still cheaper than a bus/taxi home and back. 

I'm hoping to finally have some interior buzzing/vibration fixed and I'll also be pointing out the paint blistering and onset of white worm on the Vega alloys. 

Some fresh oil and air filter should make a difference now that the engine has loosened up nicely.  

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, penguin17 said:

First service booked in for next Friday.  It's the first time that I've been asked to pay for a courtesy car (but apparently free if I'd bought the car from them).  It's still cheaper than a bus/taxi home and back. 

I'm hoping to finally have some interior buzzing/vibration fixed and I'll also be pointing out the paint blistering and onset of white worm on the Vega alloys. 

Some fresh oil and air filter should make a difference now that the engine has loosened up nicely.  

Do they change Air Filter on First Service now or did you mean Oil Filter  ?     

1 minute ago, penguin17 said:

I meant oil filter.  Good spot :blush

Just checking as I've got first service in September and it would be yet another 'post service check'  to make to ensure it was done ..... along with taking out half a litre of overfilled oil etc etc ;)     

1 minute ago, Boxerdog1 said:

Just checking as I've got first service in September and it would be yet another 'post service check'  to make to ensure it was done ..... along with taking out half a litre of overfilled oil etc etc ;)     

Yeah, air filter is normally changed as part of the 'major' service.  Though I might take a look at mine this week and see what state it's in.  For £12 for a Mann filter on ECP I can slip another one in. 

Question: Mann filters are OEM for the TSI's right? 

3 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Yeah, air filter is normally changed as part of the 'major' service.  Though I might take a look at mine this week and see what state it's in.  For £12 for a Mann filter on ECP I can slip another one in. 

Question: Mann filters are OEM for the TSI's right? 

Yes they do manufacture filters for VAG but are not the sole suppliers as far as I'm aware .   

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Google wasn't really conclusive, though I am now blind.

Evidently, "what size mann will fit my air box" should never be Googled. :o

I'm not going to try that :shake: and yes I agree the more you try to research stuff like this it drives you nuts .....   To be serious though ,  anything like Mann / Bosch / Mahle  should be fine.  As I've only done 2200 miles in 8 months so far (don't ask!!)  I'll probably just get an oil service done in Sept and change the Air / Pollen ones at 2 years ... mind you I might have changed it again by then knowing me :giggle:.

I just ordered one from ECP.  I may as well fit one.  £12 with current discount code: 

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Skoda_Superb_2.0_2018/p/car-parts/regular-service/car-service-parts/air-filter/?502441989&1&0209335646f7f3b09fa1b4ad66f4feb223542539&000008

Not sure what a dealer would charge but I'd likely get some BS excuse why they won't fit one outside of the schedule so I'll just do it myself.   It will give me a chance to check/clean the air box and old filter too. 

• Like 1

On 15/04/2019 at 19:30, boydeee said:

I can relate to this. My wife has a Suzuki Swift Sport. The naturally aspirated one before they downsized and added a turbo. On paper it's not quick and only has around 136bhp but it's so much fun! It weighs nothing and it eggs you on, all without smashing triple figures on the speedo. You certainly don't need endless bhp to have fun. I'd almost go as far to say around 200 is perfect. 272 and AWD is nice though B)

Yep, I love my 280, quick in a straight line, but the twisty's are another matter.  It's a big comfortable car with some decent poke.

For fun, I'll take my wife's Type R FK8.:D

1380KG, 320BHP:giggle:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RGKTSi said:

Yep, I love my 280, quick in a straight line, but the twisty's are another matter.  It's a big comfortable car with some decent poke.

For fun, I'll take my wife's Type R FK8.:D

1380KG, 320BHP:giggle:

Depends which 280. I've heard complaints about L&K's  but I found the DCC Sportline set to Sport being actually pretty bearable when thrown around fast. Still not a FK8 CTR by any means but surprisingly responsive and controllable at least for public road limits. Definitely hasn't made me go looking for coilovers yet which coming from firm hot-hatches was a fear I had prior ownership. Not sure if the differences between a L&K DCC and Sportline DCC are only the shorter and firmer springs or re-tuned DCC also but from the reports I've seen I would guess the second.

Edited by newbie69

4 hours ago, paul_7_7_7 said:

My local dealer collects the car and drops it back for £12

"Drops it" is a pretty accurate description of the average treatment a car gets at any dealership.

I would happily pay £12 to go to the dealership and do the service myself or at least be present, but definitely not to provide a dealer with even more chances of damaging, breaking, scratching something (not a sole incident). You want to minimize dealer contact with your car as much as possible, not the other way around!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

"Drops it" is a pretty accurate description of the average treatment a car gets at any dealership.

I would happily pay £12 to go to the dealership and do the service myself or at least be present, but definitely not to provide a dealer with even more chances of damaging, breaking, scratching something (not a sole incident). You want to minimize dealer contact with your car as much as possible, not the other way around!

Exactly why I will never ask to have the car collected or washed! 

• Like 1

On 26/04/2019 at 19:55, penguin17 said:

Exactly why I will never ask to have the car collected or washed! 

The guy that did my ceramic coat a year ago was shocked at the state of the paintwork on my 3 month old 3k miles car, owned by one of the directors of the dealership as his demo. 

Been washed by bloody rolling it down a bloody hill I think!

Edited by DBT85
  • Like 2

On 26/04/2019 at 19:40, newbie69 said:

Depends which 280. I've heard complaints about L&K's  but I found the DCC Sportline set to Sport being actually pretty bearable when thrown around fast. Still not a FK8 CTR by any means but surprisingly responsive and controllable at least for public road limits. Definitely hasn't made me go looking for coilovers yet which coming from firm hot-hatches was a fear I had prior ownership. Not sure if the differences between a L&K DCC and Sportline DCC are only the shorter and firmer springs or re-tuned DCC also but from the reports I've seen I would guess the second.

Interesting.  I haven't heard of anything, tell me more @newbie69?

I optioned 19" wheels on mine as preferred the look of them.  So at least they are exactly the same size as the sportline.  When I was looking at the Sportline and the L & K, i did not notice if the sportline sat any lower, my wheels are close enough to the arches!

It probably is the retuned DCC:thumbup:

I wonder if the program that runs the DCC aspect of the suspension be changed to the Sportline?

The springs maybe harder, don't think they are shorter.

To be fair, I love the 280 L & K, handling is fine as it is, I love the power and the toys but I won't be chasing no hot hatch backs down a country road.   I don't mind giggling to myself when I beat them from the lights though.:D

• Like 2