The 280PS Thread

• 1 month later...

noting here that skoda now saying for petrols inc my 280 that cambelt / timing chain changes not needed to well over 100k miles now.

was a bit of a surprise to me.

Am still considering a change and perhaps waterpump also, as Skoda then followed up with if a failure does occur, as timing chain / cambelt is a wear and tear part then no warranty cover (i have extended warranty at present)

1 hour ago, fraz8888 said:

noting here that skoda now saying for petrols inc my 280 that cambelt / timing chain changes not needed to well over 100k miles now.

was a bit of a surprise to me.

Am still considering a change and perhaps waterpump also, as Skoda then followed up with if a failure does occur, as timing chain / cambelt is a wear and tear part then no warranty cover (i have extended warranty at present)

I think that in general, a cambelt can fail without warning. Whereas a cam chain(s) such as fitted to the 280tsi gets quite noisy for a long time before it fails. As far as I'm aware there is  no published interval for changing the cam chain, if there is please could you point me in the right direction?

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, numskull said:

Quiet here, innit….? 😴 

Nope it's just I'm the only one who hasn't blocked you .... 😂

• Haha 1

I guess there's not too many 280's out there with issues. :happy: A few 272 interlopers on here as well I see.

I had to put mine on a trickle charge yesterday. The low battery warning came up on the infotainment, radio held off, Kessy & interior lights not working until I started it which it did with no trouble - phew. This is all due to it sitting on the drive for long periods & just used for a local run to the dump or takeaway. We tend to use my wife's EV more these days cos it's much cheaper to run on a £3.50 overnight charge which is good for 230 miles. I've only filled up the 280 with 99RON once since I came back from Bruges last November. 

We keep debating whether we actually need two cars but the answer to that is yes cos the wife's EV can't do all the thinks the 280 Estate can do. I had ladders on the roof & an Ikea billy bookcase in the back of it last week. Absolutely no way the Kona could do that. 

One of my sodding passenger door handles is sticky and the drivers getting there .... Also the front suspension has started to creak again haha ! That's what 80'fm is for ....

PLUS ..... I've taken it to the Polish Car Wash today !!! My view is the paints knackered anyway so it's going to cost me an arm and a leg for a paint correction so I may as well let them clean it .... I will have the paint done properly this summer ... Look I WILL so get off my back !!!

On 20/02/2024 at 12:09, Colin170CR said:

I guess there's not too many 280's out there with issues. :happy: A few 272 interlopers on here as well I see.

I had to put mine on a trickle charge yesterday. The low battery warning came up on the infotainment, radio held off, Kessy & interior lights not working until I started it which it did with no trouble - phew. This is all due to it sitting on the drive for long periods & just used for a local run to the dump or takeaway. We tend to use my wife's EV more these days cos it's much cheaper to run on a £3.50 overnight charge which is good for 230 miles. I've only filled up the 280 with 99RON once since I came back from Bruges last November. 

We keep debating whether we actually need two cars but the answer to that is yes cos the wife's EV can't do all the thinks the 280 Estate can do. I had ladders on the roof & an Ikea billy bookcase in the back of it last week. Absolutely no way the Kona could do that. 

New battery needed methinks. Same issues you’ve had and then needed jumping twice, but finally it went kaput. Replaced the OE MOLL EFB with a Varta AGM. Bloody annoying Colin but it’s done pretty well.

Edited by numskull

On 20/02/2024 at 16:01, Nick_H said:

And i'm pi$$sed and my mum has just died so thats a double whammy ...

I’m so sorry, Nick. Been there and 17 years on I still very occasionally think “I need to tell Mum about…..oh dammit”. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, numskull said:

I’m so sorry, Nick. Been there and 17 years on I still very occasionally think “I need to tell Mum about…..oh dammit”. 

Me too. Lost both sets of parents within a 10 year period & my wife's passed within 6 months of each other. Tough times.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, numskull said:

New battery needed methinks. Same issues you’ve had and then needed jumping twice, but finally it went kaput. Replaced the OE MOLL EFB with a Varta AGM. Bloody annoying Colin but it’s done pretty well.

I hope not. The battery in it is only a few years old! Replaced in March 2021 if I remember correctly & still in warranty until next month. 

It just doesn't seem to like being sat on the drive for long periods of time especially in colder weather. I keep meaning to check what the current draw on the battery is when it's dormant because I have a sneaking suspicion there might be something not turning off adding to the drain of the alarm & other background stuff modern cars have. I'll add this to the list of other stuff that needs doing 📰

• Confused 1

During lockdown, I kept the battery on trickle on my CTEK charger. I’m sure that helped with the longevity. Anyway, I’d get it changed-over ASAP. Of course, one can just get a duff one; yours might be one of ‘em. 

Edited by numskull

1 hour ago, numskull said:

Thanks NS. Yeah happened Friday before last and you are 100% correct I just forget for a second and think I need to tell her now have no parents it's a very strange feeling.

16 hours ago, KosyP said:

Hi folks,

New owner here. 2017 280 Sportline. DCC, Canton and a few other bits and bobs.

Absolutely love it and as a bonus, the family do too. They really are such a capable all rounder. Feels special too. 

Been lurking about over the last month, gathering some info and asking questions prior to viewing. Great forum and some lovely cars.

IMG_2187.jpeg

Welcome to the group.

Nice motor - It's identical to mine :)

• Love it! 1

7 minutes ago, Bigeater said:

Welcome to the group.

Nice motor - It's identical to mine :)

Thanks! Given there are only circa 600 sport lines, I can’t imagine there are more than a couple of hundred estates with DCC

3 hours ago, KosyP said:

Thanks! Given there are only circa 600 sport lines, I can’t imagine there are more than a couple of hundred estates with DCC

Ohh, i havent got DCC