The 280PS Thread

10 hours ago, AhmedMaksoud said:

Actually, as I've said, sometimes it is a bit confused here in Egypt: the Engine is cjx, 280ps (206kw) and 350N.m (not 380). And yes it is 2021 model 😅😅

Here in Australia we've got the strange situation that we've got the Superb Scout with the 200 kW (270 bhp) engine and 7 speed (and GPF) and the Sportline with the 206kW (280bhp) and the 6 speed (and no GPF).

Both MY21.

I assume there's a stockpile of 206kW/6 speed combo's that they are happy to sell in territories that don't require the latest Euro pollution spec.

Not sure of they've still got the valves in the exhaust....

• Like 2

So I've put my deposit down on a 280ps 4x4 superb in SE L Executive trim with some nice extras like dynamic chassis control, through the dealer approved used car network, bargained the dealer down to £11500 on a 66 plate with 55k miles.

Picking it up in a few days.

So.. here's the thing, I'm local to both vrs northampton (APR), superchips, and northampton motorsport (revo).

APR and revo similarly priced, but revo allows future upgrading to stage2 and onward (not that I ever expect to), and on the revo I can get 10% off if I do both the dsg box and ecu - no such offer on the APR side.

It'd be an easy choice if superchips wasn't in the mix, offering £100 off during Feb, meaning I can get their remap at £388 including VAT and they come out and do it on my drive.

Would I be a cheapskate choosing the superchips option? it's very hard for me to quantify how much more value I'd get from spending more on the APR or REVO options, which if I'm not mistaken is down to how much time they invest in the development of their maps. How is the end consumer supposed to weigh up how carefully superchips have developed their map and tested it on this car vs how much revo or apr have?!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AlVal said:

So I've put my deposit down on a 280ps 4x4 superb in SE L Executive trim with some nice extras like dynamic chassis control, through the dealer approved used car network, bargained the dealer down to £11500 on a 66 plate with 55k miles.

Picking it up in a few days.

So.. here's the thing, I'm local to both vrs northampton (APR), superchips, and northampton motorsport (revo).

APR and revo similarly priced, but revo allows future upgrading to stage2 and onward (not that I ever expect to), and on the revo I can get 10% off if I do both the dsg box and ecu - no such offer on the APR side.

It'd be an easy choice if superchips wasn't in the mix, offering £100 off during Feb, meaning I can get their remap at £388 including VAT and they come out and do it on my drive.

Would I be a cheapskate choosing the superchips option? it's very hard for me to quantify how much more value I'd get from spending more on the APR or REVO options, which if I'm not mistaken is down to how much time they invest in the development of their maps. How is the end consumer supposed to weigh up how carefully superchips have developed their map and tested it on this car vs how much revo or apr have?!

I would just see how you go with the car for a bit its bloody fast without the remap lol !

I've spent the last 8 years driving an ecobox Toyota iq 1 litre, in an attempt to compensate for years of wasting money on fast cars before that (Cerbera, gallardo etc). A friend loaned me a 3 year old range rover sport 3.0d for the last few months which left me wanting more power going back to the iq (which can't really be made faster). Lockdown boredom finds me browsing used cars and the final straw was when I found the new shape superb with reasonable miles and disguising a golf r underneath was possible from the approved used network for £11500, less than 1/3 of its original OTR price at this spec (4wd,dsc etc) my 8 year ecobox streak finally snapped. My point is it will be far enough for me, but I know myself too well and know that I'll never rest knowing that only a remap is holding back even more potential, regardless of if I actually need that power (noone actually needs it haha) 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AlVal said:

I've spent the last 8 years driving an ecobox Toyota iq 1 litre, in an attempt to compensate for years of wasting money on fast cars before that (Cerbera, gallardo etc). A friend loaned me a 3 year old range rover sport 3.0d for the last few months which left me wanting more power going back to the iq (which can't really be made faster). Lockdown boredom finds me browsing used cars and the final straw was when I found the new shape superb with reasonable miles and disguising a golf r underneath was possible from the approved used network for £11500, less than 1/3 of its original OTR price at this spec (4wd,dsc etc) my 8 year ecobox streak finally snapped. My point is it will be far enough for me, but I know myself too well and know that I'll never rest knowing that only a remap is holding back even more potential, regardless of if I actually need that power (noone actually needs it haha) 

And now you have an entire car for the same price as 3 services in the Gallardo?

2 minutes ago, didoya said:

It's not exactly true. Once you've got Revo Stage 1 you realize how slow it was before:)

Fast enough for me... Like AlVal i've owned extremely quick cars in the past so have that T-Shirt... I'll spend the cash on beer and hookers thanks :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

It's nippy but it's no Cerb lol !

Depends if you factor in the percentage of time you're pushing it when you're considering your speed.. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

It's nippy but it's no Cerb lol !

Never owned one tbh but going by the numbers online, even a lightly tuned Superb that does 0-60 in 3.7" and 11.9-12.1" for the 1/4 mile  (seen these numbers on mine) should be as fast as a 4.5 Cerbera and definitely faster than both 4.0 and 4.2??

And that's repeatedly, under all conditions, a 1600+ kg car...

Here's how strong a 272 with just an intake and the REVO software running ~390-400bhp pulls:

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AlVal said:

Would I be a cheapskate choosing the superchips option? 

You get what you pay for. Will mr superchip come and rebuild your turbo on your drive if it goes tits up? I think not.

Apr aren't offering stage 2 anymore, so if it were me, i'd find a revo dealer who has the best reviews. :thumbup:

On 07/02/2021 at 11:59, AhmedMaksoud said:

Hi there,

I'm a 47 years old Egyptian anesthesiologist

Hi there

I'm a disgruntled sheff utd fan. It seems weve bought some halfwit from liverpool called brewster. Could you put mo salah to sleep and do us a swap please?

I knew from the beginning we'd bought the wrong one. 

Right. Back on thread.

Edited by Bigeater
  • Haha 2

On 04/02/2021 at 16:12, newbie69 said:

Never saw that @Bigeater!  You have to use @ before the name to tag properly! (it'll turn green if you do it right :tongueout:)

Sounds good, but as you say the cost of a normal stage 2 is dysproportional to the gains when compared to stage 1. To be honest that's why i loved my nearly free (just 100 for the remap) GPF Stage 2 that requires no catalyst upgrade. 1.8bar peak boost is what I'm seeing on mine as well.

Would be nice if you got the chance to do a 100-200 run with proper equipment (in some private airfield of-course), we would then have some more solid comparisons on how a stage 2 performs on the 280 vs the 272 and if the REVO claims about making the same power on the stock cat as pre-GPF on upgraded cat are true, although they certainly point towards that direction so far.

I find my economy exactly the same after the stage 2. Did a 100mile trip today and I saw the same numbers as before which makes sense unless you are on full boost all the time.

I doubt i'll be spending anything on one off software bud. I've already been in touch with the tuner, discussing turbo upgrades, so that's where my money will be going - as well as a brake upgrade.

I'm not happy though. The tuner has never had any dealings with littco - which surprised me. He's tried to steer my towards turbo technics.

He said littco wont work with the apr tune. How the 'eck would he know that if he's never dealt with one? He said i would need different software to run it. Maybe its me that doesnt know anything.

On 05/02/2021 at 13:26, TheBinarySheep said:

@Bigeater It would be interesting to see a view showing how your exhaust sounds at idle and being rev'd as there's not many 280's with a resonator delete and it's something I'm considering myself.

Don't forget, my downpipe is different, so i would be giving you a false idea. My right hand side backbox is rattling when starting from cold. It was rather annoying this morning because my petrol flap was froze solid and i couldnt get my scraper out to clear the snow. When i find my camera i'll do the vid anyway. :thumbup:

11 minutes ago, Bigeater said:

I doubt i'll be spending anything on one off software bud. I've already been in touch with the tuner, discussing turbo upgrades, so that's where my money will be going - as well as a brake upgrade.

I'm not happy though. The tuner has never had any dealings with littco - which surprised me. He's tried to steer my towards turbo technics.

He said littco wont work with the apr tune. How the 'eck would he know that if he's never dealt with one? He said i would need different software to run it. Maybe its me that doesnt know anything.

if you mean Dragy it's not a one-off software! It will be your own personal dyno, very useful to be able to quantify just how much every change affects the car's performance despite quoted figures, as well as see how the car compares with others, as often as you want to, plus those things sell so easily if you want to get rid there is very little to lose by getting one, for 150EUR i find it's great value for what it offers.

"Not work" is just non-sense , "not optimal" is something completely different. Don't know your guy, but my experience has shown that most dealers are just resellers with more often than not, less knowledge of the particular engines they're tuning than their owners. As such, they are very reluctant and/or unable to deviate from the "official" line for any customisation.

Edited by newbie69

1 hour ago, newbie69 said:

Never owned one tbh but going by the numbers online, even a lightly tuned Superb that does 0-60 in 3.7" and 11.9-12.1" for the 1/4 mile  (seen these numbers on mine) should be as fast as a 4.5 Cerbera and definitely faster than both 4.0 and 4.2??

And that's repeatedly, under all conditions, a 1600+ kg car...

Here's how strong a 272 with just an intake and the REVO software running ~390-400bhp pulls:

All you need is the noise ;-)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

All you need is the noise ;-)

Haha ill give you that, I have a great memory of driving late at night (when bizarrely everything seems louder) past a very rough block of flats in a rough part of a rough town, two youts in hoodies - one way too Bix for the bmx he was on, trying to avoid handlebars with his knees sticking out and other jogging next to him, I let off the throttle, the cerbs let's a couple of bangs off, lad jumps off the bike instantly and they both hit the deck as fast as they can.. Seems they thought it was a drive-by.. Popping and banging cars weren't quite as common I guess then, I laughed for hours. 

• Haha 1

On 19/10/2020 at 18:30, Clockworks said:

Could it possibly be because I filled up the last time (and the time before) with normal unleaded?

I usually fill up with a quarter of a tank left, and alternate between normal and super, or fill half and half.

Forgot to do that last time, and the tank was nearly empty.

Might seem a bit tight of me, but I ran my Boxster that way for a couple of years with no problems.

I went for a drive this morning, topped up the tank with 30 litres of super, drove a few more miles, then gave it some welly on the same dual carriageway.

No problems at all this time.

EPC light has come back on a couple of times since I last posted. I finally got my code reader back, and it was showing "P00AF". I cleared all the codes, and tried the car. EPC light came on again as soon as I gave it full throttle.

Fault cleared if I left the car switched off for a couple of minutes.

I took it to an independent garage today, and it needs a new turbo. The actuator for the variable vanes is moving erratically, giving over and under boost errors. He says he can hear it making bad noises when he tested it.

He suggested that I contact my local main dealer, as the car is only 4 years old, and has only done 27k miles. Apparently the only fix is a new turbo - only one part is available separately, and that isn't the part that's failed.

I spoke to the service chap at the main dealer, explained I wasn't happy, and he said to bring it in for them to check. Once they have confirmed the diagnosis, they will chase Skoda for a goodwill contribution.

Fortunately the car has a full main dealer history.

Booked in for the end of next week.....

On 08/02/2021 at 16:13, AlVal said:

I went with a bluefin on my last car (mk2 diesel superb) and it was brilliant in that instance, 138 to 171 bhp and properly noticeable increase in power (0-60 went from 9.8 secs to 8 dead in the gps runs I did before selling it)

I took the map off before selling and still have the handset which is actually compatible with both my mk3 280 and my wife’s 1.2 Fabia but I just wouldn’t trust it on an engine of this power especially as the performance figures are well below that of revo and all the others. (330bhp ish vs 360) and the cost to “reset” my handset and use again is still over £300 (I paid £430 initially) so I’d much rather take it for a revo knowing it is better backed up support and research wise.

There’s also the horror story that another 280 owner on here has had using a less well known independent tuner whereas I’ve yet to hear anything bad about the revo maps.

1 hour ago, SkudMissile21 said:

I went with a bluefin on my last car (mk2 diesel superb) and it was brilliant in that instance, 138 to 171 bhp and properly noticeable increase in power (0-60 went from 9.8 secs to 8 dead in the gps runs I did before selling it)

I took the map off before selling and still have the handset which is actually compatible with both my mk3 280 and my wife’s 1.2 Fabia but I just wouldn’t trust it on an engine of this power especially as the performance figures are well below that of revo and all the others. (330bhp ish vs 360) and the cost to “reset” my handset and use again is still over £300 (I paid £430 initially) so I’d much rather take it for a revo knowing it is better backed up support and research wise.

There’s also the horror story that another 280 owner on here has had using a less well known independent tuner whereas I’ve yet to hear anything bad about the revo maps.

I'll tell you what I find funny about this industry is how they all seem to badmouth each other, like it's a basic part of their sales pitch. For instance the superchips lad told me other tuners steal superchips' maps and base theirs off that (neither he nor I named any specific other mapping companies in our discussion). Superchips have been mapping for 40 years though, and it reminded me that the last time I had an ecu remapped was almost 20 years ago... with superchips! And that was a great experience. So I told myself it's only poor branding and a naff outdated logo that's letting them down and booked in for Fri eve. We'll see how it all goes..

Good luck with the super chips, I’d be interested to hear how it goes anyway.

I don’t think it’s a case of badmouthing as such but I’ve noticed the vast majority of 272/280 owners on here seem to have had theirs revo’d with good results whereas I haven’t found anyone who had used the super chips offering for this engine.

Binarysheep had a nightmare with his custom independent map too.

When I had my old mk1 octy vRS and wanted to map it (never did though) everyone seemed to recommend a couple of custom mappers and nobody was using the likes of revo or super chips for those engines.

Horses for courses I suppose.

On 08/02/2021 at 19:53, Bigeater said:

I've spoke to a few tuners who have said they wouldn't remap a car that had a Littco turbo. The main reason seems to be that something like a map from REVO has had hours and hours of testing done on the stock IS38 turbo. The Littco L380X is slightly different and introduces a tiny amount of lag (not noticeable) but gives you more boost/flow at the top end. I think tuners are concerned that their maps won't be as effective on something untested. I had one turner tell me they would tune it, but couldn't guarantee the results.

Like you, Ive had a tuner try to steer me towards a Turbo Technics turbo, but I think that's only because that's what they work with and know. My tuner, and another that's fairly local both work with Littco, so if you go to them that's what they suggest. It all depends on the tuner. I don't think these tuners think there's anything wrong with Littco turbos, it's just that they are not familiar with them. The tuner I used know the guy from Littco and has helped out and done testing for them, so it seems obvious he'd stick with them.

As mentioned, I've had a nightmare with my car. But after a lot of research to speaking to a load of tuners, I'm confident that the map itself wasn't the cause of my turbo failure. It's more likely that my stock IS38 was balanced within manufacturer tolerances, but possible just. Once the turbo has been asked to produce more boost, it's just given up. My problems would have ended there if the recovery guy hadn't have tried over and over again to start the car to get it onto his truck, as we believe this is where the damage to the crank bearings has come from. When he was turning it over, we heard a metal grinding noise (probably a spun bearing).

Cost wise, I think I'm up to around £3k to get the car back on the road. That included replacement turbo, and new crankshaft bearings and seals. If I had only needed a new turbo, then £1200.

I keep seeing posts online saying get a REVO map, don't go independent. But if you do your research, you'll see that turbo failures occur on REVO maps as well, although I think any turbo failure is less likely these days compared to when the Golf R etc first came out as VW have made various changes to the IS38 over the year in an attempt to reduce the number of failures, but I think still the underlying issue is there, just nowhere near as apparent.

The  only advice I can give to anyone remapping the IS38 turbo is, don't floor it until the engine oil is up to speed. There are those that believe that these turbos fail because of a lack of oil supply to the bearings. If you're flooring it when the oil isn't warmed up it won't be flowing as well through the turbo and won't provide the required lubrication. The second bit of advice is, listen out for any sort of whine coming from your turbo as low revs, as this is a clear sign that the bearings are warn. I had this noise, but I just assumed it was something to do with the remap. I could kick myself that I didn't do anything about it and get it looked at sooner.

Edited by TheBinarySheep
  • Thanks 1

On 09/02/2021 at 19:06, Clockworks said:

EPC light has come back on a couple of times since I last posted. I finally got my code reader back, and it was showing "P00AF". I cleared all the codes, and tried the car. EPC light came on again as soon as I gave it full throttle.

Fault cleared if I left the car switched off for a couple of minutes.

I took it to an independent garage today, and it needs a new turbo. The actuator for the variable vanes is moving erratically, giving over and under boost errors. He says he can hear it making bad noises when he tested it.

He suggested that I contact my local main dealer, as the car is only 4 years old, and has only done 27k miles. Apparently the only fix is a new turbo - only one part is available separately, and that isn't the part that's failed.

I spoke to the service chap at the main dealer, explained I wasn't happy, and he said to bring it in for them to check. Once they have confirmed the diagnosis, they will chase Skoda for a goodwill contribution.

Fortunately the car has a full main dealer history.

Booked in for the end of next week.....

I had a call from the main dealer first thing this morning - a courtesy car had become available, could I take my car in straight away?

I got a call this afternoon confirming the independent garage's  diagnosis - faulty turbo actuator, needs a new turbo. Total cost just under £2400.

Skoda have refused any goodwill contribution.

Turbo Technics can rebuild my turbo for just under £800, but I can't find a decent local garage willing to deal with Turbo Technics, or fit any turbo that they don't supply themselves.

The independent is happy to supply a genuine Skoda-boxed turbo for £1300+VAT+consumables+labour - a bit over £2000 in total, or an aftermarket unit for a couple of hundred less.

I'm more than a little disappointed that Skoda UK aren't offering any kind of goodwill contribution - even supplying the parts "at cost" would have been nice, and wouldn't cost them anything at all.

Unless I can find a local garage that deals directly with Turbo Technics, I'll be going for the aftermarket option with the indy garage, and I'll avoid VAG products and services in future.

When the time comes to replace the 280, I'll be looking  at Kia and their 7 year warranty.