The 280PS Thread

1 hour ago, Bigeater said:

Has anyone got a dtuk pedal box attached to their remapped 272/280?

Some of the parameters on my 'individual' mode are set to sport, some to normal.

I would like a quicker pedal response time, but I don't want sports mode, and I thought a pedal box may be the way to go.

Have you any thoughts on this please.

Thanks

The Audi adaptation definitely helped improve the pedal response. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bigeater said:

Some of the parameters on my 'individual' mode are set to sport, some to normal.

I would like a quicker pedal response time, but I don't want sports mode, and I thought a pedal box may be the way to go.

Thanks

I purchased a pedal box from TDI-Tuning and fitted it last weekend. Unfortunately I’m still waiting to get my car mapped but It definitely improves throttle response on a standard 272. I will say the Sport+ which is the default setting on this particular pedal box does need some getting used to as at first it did feel slightly snatchy but the other modes have been fine. As I say I’ve only had it fitted a week but definite improvement.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bigeater said:

Thanks

I think the remap aspect is irrelevant. The dtuk pedal box only "remaps" the throttle pedal to take out the slack in the initial movement of the pedal. The controller allows you to select a less sporty or more sporty mode, but also allows you to switch the pedal box off. It's like a rheostat for the pedal, but does not affect any other aspect of the engine management.  Make sense?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

EPC light came on today while giving it some welly a few seconds after the speed limit changed from 30 to 70 on the dual carriageway. The gearbox was in eco mode, and I'd only got up to about 60mph.

The engine got a bit rough, and acceleration dropped right off. Sounded and felt fine once I backed off the throttle, but wouldn't really pull properly at anything over a very light throttle

I pulled into the next layby, and the matrix display showed "start/stop fault" with the footbrake applied at a standstill.

Start/stop wasn't working on this journey, as the battery was a bit low anyway.

I checked the "vehicle status" screen, and no faults showing.

I switched off the ignition, then restarted, and all was well on the 5 miles home.

I understand that the car goes into limp mode if the EPC light comes on, but why did the light come on?

I've had the car 18 months, regularly give it some stick on this road, on the same journey (supermarket run).

I filled the tank 2 weeks ago, and have done over 200 miles with no problems, so I doubt it's dodgy fuel. 

I'm wondering if I should mention it to the dealer when it goes in for its 4-year service this week?

1 hour ago, Clockworks said:

EPC light came on today while giving it some welly a few seconds after the speed limit changed from 30 to 70 on the dual carriageway. The gearbox was in eco mode, and I'd only got up to about 60mph.

The engine got a bit rough, and acceleration dropped right off. Sounded and felt fine once I backed off the throttle, but wouldn't really pull properly at anything over a very light throttle

I pulled into the next layby, and the matrix display showed "start/stop fault" with the footbrake applied at a standstill.

Start/stop wasn't working on this journey, as the battery was a bit low anyway.

I checked the "vehicle status" screen, and no faults showing.

I switched off the ignition, then restarted, and all was well on the 5 miles home.

I understand that the car goes into limp mode if the EPC light comes on, but why did the light come on?

I've had the car 18 months, regularly give it some stick on this road, on the same journey (supermarket run).

I filled the tank 2 weeks ago, and have done over 200 miles with no problems, so I doubt it's dodgy fuel. 

I'm wondering if I should mention it to the dealer when it goes in for its 4-year service this week?

Keep us posted I'm just coming up on 5 years and not had  that problem. I have just purchased a year 6 warranty though so have some peace of mind ... Yes I would mention it.

Could it possibly be because I filled up the last time (and the time before) with normal unleaded?

I usually fill up with a quarter of a tank left, and alternate between normal and super, or fill half and half.

Forgot to do that last time, and the tank was nearly empty.

Might seem a bit tight of me, but I ran my Boxster that way for a couple of years with no problems.

I went for a drive this morning, topped up the tank with 30 litres of super, drove a few more miles, then gave it some welly on the same dual carriageway.

No problems at all this time.

1 hour ago, Clockworks said:

Could it possibly be because I filled up the last time (and the time before) with normal unleaded?

I usually fill up with a quarter of a tank left, and alternate between normal and super, or fill half and half.

Forgot to do that last time, and the tank was nearly empty.

Might seem a bit tight of me, but I ran my Boxster that way for a couple of years with no problems.

I went for a drive this morning, topped up the tank with 30 litres of super, drove a few more miles, then gave it some welly on the same dual carriageway.

No problems at all this time.

Unlikely but I would never use 95Ron fuel in my car 97 at a minimum and more often than not 99.

Edited by Nick_H

Nice to see this thread pop up again!

I was called into my dealer last week because my lease is up next May. So they were trying to sell me either a new Superb (iV) or an Enyaq... Unfortunately they have quietly killed the 272 option here in Sweden. Something to do with CO2's... So if anyone is keen to order a new one they might want to check if the same thing will be happening soon where you live!

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, ewlmr said:

Nice to see this thread pop up again!

I was called into my dealer last week because my lease is up next May. So they were trying to sell me either a new Superb (iV) or an Enyaq... Unfortunately they have quietly killed the 272 option here in Sweden. Something to do with CO2's... So if anyone is keen to order a new one they might want to check if the same thing will be happening soon where you live!

In due time the 272 will be gone for sure. 

Co2 regs are steadily pushing manufacturers to go the electrification route.

VAG seems to be enjoying good success with its BEV and PHEV range so hopefully cars like the 272 carries on for a bit. 

My 280 is probably the last full ICE car I will own if things go to plan. 

Yeah - Pity none of the (cheaper) VAG PHEVs are 4x4... Plan A is to buy our car at the end of the lease or maybe a V60 B5 AWD.

Plan B would be going electric but not sure if I should downsize to an ID.3, wait for an ENYAQ RS or save up for a Polestar 2!

PS - I missed this 272 vs V90 - Fifth Gear Shootout on Fith Gear earlier this year:

-

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

People say I’m stupid, but I think the 280 will become collectible, if only because it’s the fastest production Skoda ever produced. I’m still absolutely over the moon with the car; I’m seriously thinking about shoving into a Carcoon and buying a Fabia for everyday use.

As for going green well, I’m holding out hope for Hydrogen powered vehicles, as I think range anxiety will always be an issue with electric vehicles. 

1 hour ago, numskull said:

People say I’m stupid, but I think the 280 will become collectible, if only because it’s the fastest production Skoda ever produced. I’m still absolutely over the moon with the car; I’m seriously thinking about shoving into a Carcoon and buying a Fabia for everyday use.

As for going green well, I’m holding out hope for Hydrogen powered vehicles, as I think range anxiety will always be an issue with electric vehicles. 

I'm with you on the 280 becoming collectable. Well I would say that wouldn't I :inlove: . 280's are in demand & don't hang around very long when they do come up for sale. 

For me it's the fact that it is a bit of "wolf in sheep's clothing" with no obvious go faster frippery adorning it. Even the exhausts are tucked away & muted. It is a very quick car, even more so now mine has a Stg 1 Revo remap. Overtaking is effortless & it will haul huge amounts of stuff. Ideal for my camping & fishing gear & with 4WD it can handle inclement weather with ease & a bit of mild off roading when needed. My 280 will probably be the last car I own. For the money I paid for it at just over 2 years old there is nothing out there that comes close. Electric cars are stupid money for what they are - £25-30k for a supermini size electric car is nuts. I might have a look at a used one for my wife when the prices drop but TBH she doesn't do enough mileage to warrant the running cost saving. 

No, I'm quite happy with what I've got & barring it being nicked or an insurance right off, my 280 will be with me for quite some time to come.    

• Like 1

@Colin170CR I’d say exactly the same.

picked up my feb 2018 (67) 280 in September (so barely 2.5 years old) and plan on keeping it for a long time. Last car I had from 2 years old was a mk1 octy vRS and I kept that from 23k to 112k in 9.5 years (though at £10k it was half the cost of this one!).

the fact there were so few available in budget when I looked and even fewer now tells me I made the right choice, I love driving it and even sitting looking at it out the window gives me a smile :biggrin:

Great cars!

19 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

I'm with you on the 280 becoming collectable. Well I would say that wouldn't I :inlove: . 280's are in demand & don't hang around very long when they do come up for sale. 

I'm not sure that it'll be collectable, but as a daily they certainly shift quickly - either when driving, or on the forecourt. The first one I tried to buy sold before it was even posted on the dealer's website. Most will rightly be used as daily drivers, and rightly so.

More desirable on the second hand market since it probably wasn't a taxi or a rental like many other Skodas in the first place. Only if it wasn't lowered, mapped and pedalboxed to hell. :)

Edited by eurotripwagen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is currently a 280 BS - Bog Standard - but I’m thinking of a JB4 or remap. However, given just how quick the car is compared to most others on the road, I probably won’t bother. 

Edited by numskull

1 hour ago, numskull said:

Mine is currently a 280 BS - Bog Standard - but I’m thinking of a JB4 or remap. However, given just how quick the car is compared to most others on the road, I probably won’t bother. 

Same here (apart from adding a sub in the boot), I’d love the idea of a remap in the future once it’s paid for and out of warranty but it is already a very quick car really like you say and plenty of times when I’ve booted it I’ve had to back off either because I’m doing license losing speeds on a motorway or I’m doing stupid speeds on a country road so in reality I don’t know if I’ll ever remap it. Already had a scare last weekend at 6am on a motorway in the wet after overtaking some traffic and getting lit up like a Christmas tree from behind, luckily I pulled straight over and he chose to keep going :whew:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, SkudMissile21 said:

Same here (apart from adding a sub in the boot), I’d love the idea of a remap in the future once it’s paid for and out of warranty but it is already a very quick car really like you say and plenty of times when I’ve booted it I’ve had to back off either because I’m doing license losing speeds on a motorway or I’m doing stupid speeds on a country road so in reality I don’t know if I’ll ever remap it. Already had a scare last weekend at 6am on a motorway in the wet after overtaking some traffic and getting lit up like a Christmas tree from behind, luckily I pulled straight over and he chose to keep going :whew:

Snap. I got followed by flashing blue lights on a dual carriageway after touching 70-ish overtaking some lorries. I turned off at the next roundabout, boys in blue followed me & stuck religiously to the 30mph limit, blue lights went out behind but they still followed me for another half mile before turning off (enough time I reckon for them to check the number plate & insurance). Phew.

BTW, a stage 1 remap makes a huge difference.  

• Like 2

Car was due to have its stage 2 today, but all I ended up with was the tvs stage 3 dsg upgrade.

Some months ago I had a 3inch centre pipe fitted with a vibrant resonator. The place that did it made such a bodge job of it, that the garage who were doing the upgrade today said that the milltek downpipe wouldn't mount to my new centre section. The guy that fitted my centre section has welded it to my downpipe instead of sleeving and clamping it.

On top of this, someone has placed the new resonator that close to the prop shaft, that it is occasionally touching it. You can see a one inch wide band around the prop where the black paint has been rubbed off. :(

Ive been to a proper exhaust shop this time, and they'll make and fit me a 3inch system from the turbo back to the Y pipe for a grand (no resonator).

Once this is done, I can go back and get the stage 2 remap done. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bigeater said:

Car was due to have its stage 2 today, but all I ended up with was the tvs stage 3 dsg upgrade.

Some months ago I had a 3inch centre pipe fitted with a vibrant resonator. The place that did it made such a bodge job of it, that the garage who were doing the upgrade today said that the milltek downpipe wouldn't mount to my new centre section. The guy that fitted my centre section has welded it to my downpipe instead of sleeving and clamping it.

On top of this, someone has placed the new resonator that close to the prop shaft, that it is occasionally touching it. You can see a one inch wide band around the prop where the black paint has been rubbed off. :(

Ive been to a proper exhaust shop this time, and they'll make and fit me a 3inch system from the turbo back to the Y pipe for a grand (no resonator).

Once this is done, I can go back and get the stage 2 remap done. 

That sounds like a right royal pain. Keep us posted & any pics would be good as well. What numbers will the stg 2 produce?