soundproofing in bonnet

Hi,

Just had my car made dent free due to hailstone damage and the dent removal man noticed that there is no soundproofing under the bonnet.

Should they be,

My car is 1.4 tsi ?.

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/octavia-bonnet-insulation-2014-2017-50884

I have one of these ones for sale, bought it to fit to my VRS but changed my mind, brand new in the unopened packaging complete with all the clips etc.

I paid £35 inc postage.

£30 inc postage.

Good job you are FREEDOM butchvrs before someone popped up and gave you a telling off :)

I know!

I have advertised it in the for sale section but I don't think many Mk3 owners go down there that often  :peek: .

Thanks for info,seems poor that the petrol engines don't get it.

The petrol engines have a sweet sound, diesels are just noisy and therefore desperately needs it to pass the noise regulation limits.

I installed it for the muffled "thump" (not the metallic "plonk") when closing the bonnet. And the outside engine sound is perhaps even more quiet. But be aware: pedestrians are so used to diesel noisy cars, that they don't pay attention when petrol heads approaches.

Edited by fatzy

The petrol engines have a sweet sound, diesels are just noisy and therefore desperately needs it to pass the noise regulation limits.

I installed it for the muffled "thump" (not the metallic "plonk") when closing the bonnet. And the outside engine sound is perhaps even more quiet. But be aware: pedestrians are so used to diesel noisy cars, that they don't pay attention when petrol heads approaches.

A bit off subject but my car seems to make a noise when coming to a halt when braking.Took it to dealer and was told it was the friction noise from the brakes.

Does your car make this noise and would the bonnet soundproofing help?.

Having had ford diesels for ten years i have never noticed this before due to the extra noise,but as you say the petrol is a much quieter car.

I guess that the key issue is more linked to cost savings than any other mechanical or physical question.

In fact, if you have a look under the bonnet of any Audi A3 with petrol engine, you'll find not only soundproofing cover, but also a nice supporting strut.

I guess that the key issue is more linked to cost savings than any other mechanical or physical question.

In fact, if you have a look under the bonnet of any Audi A3 with petrol engine, you'll find not only soundproofing cover, but also a nice supporting strut.

exactly, skoda cars are cheaper than vw  & audi  and one of the reasons is because of cost cutting.

less soundproofing, no hydraulic bonnet lifter, no electronic handbrake, no auto hold etc

if skoda and seat came with all the trimmings, nobody would buy audi

Some Skodas do have all the trimmings, including hydraulic bonnet struts :)

no electronic handbrake or auto hold  :D

dsg, electronic handbrake & auto hold -      some day all cars will be like this  :clap:

out of curiousity, does the l&k have spring loaded levers in both sides of the boot to drop down the back seats.

no electronic handbrake or auto hold :D

dsg, electronic handbrake & auto hold - some day all cars will be like this :clap:

out of curiousity, does the l&k have spring loaded levers in both sides of the boot to drop down the back seats.

I should hope do, they're in the SEL. Presumed they were standard but never really checked

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

no electronic handbrake or auto hold  :D

dsg, electronic handbrake & auto hold -      some day all cars will be like this  :clap:

out of curiousity, does the l&k have spring loaded levers in both sides of the boot to drop down the back seats.

Wouldn't want an electric handbrake, one of the worst inventions ever IMHO - in fact, don't really need a handbrake at all other than for going round corners faster :)

Yes, they do have the levers.

• Like 1

Wouldn't want an electric handbrake, one of the worst inventions ever IMHO - in fact, don't really need a handbrake at all other than for going round corners faster :)

haha, you'd want the auto hold though  :happy:

cant get that with a manual handbrake  :D  :D  :D

My BMW had hill assist with a manual handbrake.

is hill assist not like hill hold, only holds the car for 2 secs or so.

auto hold is different, no need to keep your foot on the brake when you stop, it'll hold you indefinitely  [ dsg gearbox ] 

I believe  you can only have it with an electronic handbrake though

Would'nt wont a electric handbrake either.

A friend of my mom has it on her Passat. She got stuck when the handbrake didnt release when She tried to drive of....

A bit off subject but my car seems to make a noise when coming to a halt when braking.Took it to dealer and was told it was the friction noise from the brakes.

Does your car make this noise and would the bonnet soundproofing help?.

Having had ford diesels for ten years i have never noticed this before due to the extra noise,but as you say the petrol is a much quieter car.

I don't quite understand that there should be a noticeable braking noise when coming to a halt. I can't say that I have noticed any particular "friction noise" on mine (I am the onboard driver though).

Without having experienced the noise "live" it is hard to give advices, but I don't think a bonnet soundproof will have effect down at the wheels.....

Is it inside the car you hear this, or outside? Is it like sand scrubbing between brake disk and pads, a squeeking noise or something else? During hard braking or soft stops? Front and/or rear?

I don't quite understand that there should be a noticeable braking noise when coming to a halt. I can't say that I have noticed any particular "friction noise" on mine (I am the onboard driver though).

Without having experienced the noise "live" it is hard to give advices, but I don't think a bonnet soundproof will have effect down at the wheels.....

Is it inside the car you hear this, or outside? Is it like sand scrubbing between brake disk and pads, a squeeking noise or something else? During hard braking or soft stops? Front and/or rear?

Hi,it's hard to describe it's not a squealing noise i only hear it on the front just before the car stops the last few feet.sorry can't give you anymore info if anything it's a sshhh noise.