Dealer launch pics and first impressions.....

Just been to my local dealer to view the new Superb.  A bit disappointed that they only had a 1.6 tdi ambition (roughly equivalent to an SE).  I didn't get to drive it however.  Anyway first impressions:

Quality of materials is good - overall slightly improved over current model although I though the headlining was of lower quality.  Nice quality finish to the centre armrest and console, even on the more basic model.  Soft touch to the dash and door card plastics.  Feels very well put together but lacks the upmarket feeling (probably more to do with the fact that it was a basic model).

Exterior design is even nicer up close and it certainly has the look of a Audi or premium brand car.  IMO it looks nicer than a Passat in real life.  Only 16" wheels on the model today which don't look good but 17 or 18" should make a big difference.  The design of the lights are very classy.  Overall, I think that even the more basic models will look quite well on the road.

Comfort levels (well to sit in anyway) appear similar or better than the current model but again as there were only cloth seats in the model today it is difficult to judge seat comfort.  The cloth sets feel supportive though and extra support in the front of the seat squab feels good.  The photos I took of the rear when actually with the front seat was at the furthest back position!

A few nice touches like quality padded material in the door bins and soft leather type material used in the armrest.  The electric boot works well but no foot operated system on this model.  I was impressed overall but I think at higher spec levels it may be a close call between it and more premium brands as it might lack some of that sophistication that you get on a  BMW, Audi or even on the newer Passat.  I've attached some photos and apology that the quality is not great - it was quite sunny when I took them

IMG_0404_zpsfchtffw5.jpg

IMG_0402_zpswhsyi0pl.jpg

3_zpsgus5i6zm.jpg

• Like 2

I tried to capture some of the practical aspects......

14_zps7fo6oxwr.jpg

16_zpsyd5j7qhz.jpg

13_zpshst7uvpr.jpg

Front seats are set right back here at the furthest position.  Rear blinds were fitted to this model but it also had sunset glass.  Pity they didn't showcase the model by using leather seats and a brighter interior for the dealer launch model!

• Like 1

Thanks, Superb170....great info.

I agree with the headlining as it looked bit worse than SII from the videos....As you said 18 & 19 inch will suit SIII pretty good considering the exterior design & size of the car. Can't fault with the exterior design of the car though......looks awesome  :clap:

Looks like you don't get sunglass stowage when you option sunroof (not from your image but from other images online). Yes, overall stowage has been improved but we've lost some like row1 passenger side foot-well net, then rear of console stowage (don't get for 3 zone) and also no rear armrest stowage like SII.....hmm...on the positive side - bigger & more usable door bins & much improved centre console armrest stowage. Not sure SIII gets any underseat stowage??

Ventilated seats as an option on L&K...425 quid I guess isn't acceptable in my opinion especially when it's standard on SII L&K  :thumbdown:

Edited by joeboy1980

Where's your dealer?

When I called mine asking if the had one is stock, was told "no, because they haven't been made yet"

Give strength!

My dealer is based in Waterford, Ireland. There is general dealer launch in Ireland starting today AFAIK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ventilated seats as an option on L&K...425 quid I guess isn't acceptable in my opinion especially when it's standard on SII L&K  :thumbdown:

But you do get some options as std now (electric tailgate) that were previously an expensive option.

My dealer is based in Waterford, Ireland. There is general dealer launch in Ireland starting today AFAIK

Now in Ireland.

Next week in Scotland.

What's wrong with England...left behind again!

170. I see you still have to open the ashtray to charge your phone or plug in an aux cable. What fookin monkey designed that,the plugs on the Octavia are much more user friendly.

Spec it without the smokers pack and the phone is intended to live in the draw... so everything is out of sight, this is an improvement IMO... providing you do not smoke in the car.

SuC_16_jpg.jpg

• Like 1

170. I see you still have to open the ashtray to charge your phone or plug in an aux cable. What fookin monkey designed that,the plugs on the Octavia are much more user friendly.

Like I said, bog standard model on display. Why would you not show your most impressive looking model in order attract interest. General feedback from the other guys looking at the car was that it looks well externally but they were very confused about what was actually available as options given that this is only an ambition. Some thought this was the top model. Skoda marketing need to up their game!

A few more final pics to round off.  The release for the rear seats (located in the sides of the boot) works well.  The covered side panels in the rear of the boot (for first aid/storage etc) appeared to be flimsy however and not as solid as the current model.  The glasses holder was also of slightly lower quality and didn't always open and close on first attempt.  You can see where they invested in the quality of some materials but others are of similar or lower quality versus the Mk II.

19_zpsnpbkf4vh.jpg

20_zpsltctgsdg.jpg

23_zps3aqrzxyb.jpg

1_zps5oleeszq.jpg

18_zpszjksp58z.jpg

• Like 1

Like I said, bog standard model on display. Why would you not show your most impressive looking model in order attract interest. General feedback from the other guys looking at the car was that it looks well externally but they were very confused about what was actually available as options given that this is only an ambition. Some thought this was the top model. Skoda marketing need to up their game!

Thanks for posting. Nice one.

Interesting to see one on standard springs, all the L&Ks in most of the press shots have adjustable dampers and a decent ride height, this one seems to be supplied with the usual Skoda stilts, so I'd definitely spec adjustable dampers as I bet all the rave reviews about decent ride quality will be out of the window when the press get their hands on one of these.

I had a drive in a 150 dsg diesel during the week. Was a style which equates to sel in UK. 19 inch wheels which didn't seem to affect the ride, although I am in Germany. My impression was of a smooth quiet car and I am interested in getting one now.However as I currently have a O3 vrs, maybe the 190 would be more fun!

I also sat in another one which had the alcantara seats, these would be my choice instead of leather in the sel. In Germany they are part of a 1400 euro option pack, looks like skoda UK are not offering these on the high spec models, which I think is a pity.

UK "launch" seems to be mid-September at the earliest.

This is what I have been told as well, I am awaiting confirmation tomorrow to see if the saloon is being launched at the same time as the estate or earlier.

This is what I have been told as well, I am awaiting confirmation tomorrow to see if the saloon is being launched at the same time as the estate or earlier.

I'd be very interested in that too.

Please be kind enough to let us know, Gizmo.

Regards

Mike.

• Administrators

The timeline I have is UK presslaunch tomorrow and rest of this week ( see my any questions thread), not sure exactly when order books open. Delivery in September promise is for estate and saloon.

Maybe they opted to go Ireland first to get any niggles out of the process for the RHD :) 120ish dealers, need 120ish cars, one boat 15 transporters.

The dealer saying they are not made yet is 1% right, 99% certain I'd be finding another salesman.

Went to Hogans in Limerick on Friday and they had a 1.6 style in Magnetic brown. Sorry I didn't take any pictures. Ivory leather interior, built in sun blinds at the rear.  It looked well but personally I felt the colour didn't do it any favours. Felt very spacious inside.  I had visited the dealer earlier in the year when I looked at a Superb 2 170 L&K (Capp beige) and even though the new model is a better looking car I didn't feel that the interior felt as opulent as the S2 L&K.  So I think I might be looking out for a low mileage S2 L&K next year!

Went to Hogans in Limerick on Friday and they had a 1.6 style in Magnetic brown. Sorry I didn't take any pictures. Ivory leather interior, built in sun blinds at the rear.  It looked well but personally I felt the colour didn't do it any favours. Felt very spacious inside.  I had visited the dealer earlier in the year when I looked at a Superb 2 170 L&K (Capp beige) and even though the new model is a better looking car I didn't feel that the interior felt as opulent as the S2 L&K.  So I think I might be looking out for a low mileage S2 L&K next year!

I agree with you somewhat on the interior alright!  At least they had a Style model with some extra spec to show customers.  Good luck finding a used L&K though as there are only a handful in Ireland and I think out of the few of us that have one, magnetic brown is probably the most popular colour - classy but I have to admit there are nicer colours!