Amudsen vs Columbus + canton

Hi guys,

Nearly ordered my new Octavia vrs and one of the upgrades will be the canton speaker upgrade.

The dealer has said it will come with the Amundsen+ unit with sat nav etc.

The question is - will there be any sound quality difference between the Columbus and Amundsen units if I upgraded to the Columbus? I know the Columbus will have a few more features and HDD but I'm more concerned to the get the most out the speakers and sound quality etc

Anyone have any info on this please?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im quite sure it wont a big difference in soundquality, probably none at all.

The signal is sendt digitally from the headunit to the canton amp AFAIK.

Columbus support 5.1.

For me the Columbus upgrade was a no brainer, Im a sucker for the big screen. But now that the mib2 units have arrived, Im not quite sure what I would have done. The mib2 Amundsen has a bigger screen than the mib1 doesnt it (6.5" vs 5.8")?

Larger screen and increased pixelation. Can't think of the correct word, but better clarity. You know what I mean anyway.

Higher resolution :)

The Amundsen cannot play DVD/videos files, in fact the MIB2 version which you will probably get does even have a CD player. If you can afford it I would upgrade to Columbus which can play both CD, DVD, video files (MPEG, WMV, DivX, Xvid) and has 8" screen, smart link and colour maxidot for the dash.

Depends if you think the £1550 increase is worth it. Personally no, but then again I got the "free upgrade" to amudsen, so for me it's a no brainer.

If you are paying for amudsen then is it worth the double cost.....hmmmm.....not sure. Have Columbus in my MK2FL and it's a brilliant piece of kit but I would have never paid the £1500 option at the time (I bought a second hand unit, ran it for 4 years and then sold it for what I paid for it).

If Skoda offered me it for an upgrade cost of £795 over the "free" amudsen then yes I would have taken that option.

Think the Columbus only has 5.1 surround when paired with the Canton setup.....I think!

Thats true, the stock system doesnt have the centerspeaker.