S3 Winter wheel / brake sizes

Gizmo

Not the 2.0 TSI models though for the reasons already covered in Post #1 of this thread.

Thanks, hadn't realised that I'd missed out the Tdi bit for the 16", they do 17" too.

Looking to buy a set of 16-inch steel rims to use with a Superb 190TDI 4X4, and seem to be struggling to find them for the S3. Anyone got any pointers?

Closest I can find are there, from tyreleader.

16-inch diameter, 7-inch width, 5X112 bolt pattern, 45 offset but 57mm (not 57.1) centre bore.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/steel-wheels/skoda/superb-combi/2-0tdi-4x4-20077

hi, try this link

http://www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk/skoda-winter-wheels-tyres/superb-2015-winter-wheels/

I got them delivered yesterday and I will fit them today

Do you think it's time to get the winter set on? I was thinking of doing mine at the weekend. The thing is where I am in Surrey it's been unseasonably warm so I can't decide if I should leave it another week or so.

And they have arrived! :-)

Now all I need is a car... Shouldn't take more than 3 weeks, it's supposed to come out of the factory later this week.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 235/45R18 studless winter tyres

on

Monaco Pole Position Gun Metal Polished rims

Received the car yesterday, and changed to winter tyres since snow is forecast for Oslo tomorrow.

All I need now are Skoda badges for the center hole, since the original badges are too small in diameter.

post-144978-0-96040700-1478180814_thumb.jpg

Do you think it's time to get the winter set on? I was thinking of doing mine at the weekend. The thing is where I am in Surrey it's been unseasonably warm so I can't decide if I should leave it another week or so.

Hi, if your concerned that it's not cold enough yet? don't be. I've run my winters all year and they are absolutely fine.

No noticeable increase in wear over summer tyres and yes the performance is more than adequate too.

Depends on the temperature when you need to use the car, I saw 3° a few journeys this week so mine will be on this weekend,

SWMBO’s may be on also but as she drives later in the morning I may hold off on them (BUT as it’s no fun changing wheels in the freezing cold I tend to fit them earlier than really needed)

Anyone running Dunlop Winter Sport 5? Feedback would be helpful.

Just bought a pair to subs the awful Turkish stones that came with the 2nd hand steel wheels I bought. I'll have them on front wheels to eliminate scary understeer in the wet (maybe I'll get some fun tailsliding as a consequence).

Still have to have them mounted on the wheels but it's a matter of a few days as temperature is now constantly between 3 and 10 degrees C.

About using them throughout the year, my trusted tyre fitter told me that modern winter tyres do not melt away in warm weather as they used to years ago BUT their performances do degrade if you use them above 15°C, as well as summer tyres become hard below 10°C.

Having read reviews about the mediocre all-round performances of 4-seasons tyres, I chose to have two sets and exchange them.

Regarding he summer performance you won't really know until you've tried it but as mentioned before I've driven on very hot tarmac in France this summer with no issues. Tyres have done approx 20000 miles so far, there's 5-6mm tread left all round.

Edited by YvesD

Looked at the forecast for the next few days/weeks and thought that it is time to change. Summer's put away and winter's refitted whilst it's a dry day. Surprised just how much wear there is on the summer set though. Looks to be halfway gone after about 8,000 miles. I would have expected a bit more than that.

I fitted my winter wheels this weekend. I'm running Dunlop Winter Sport 5 tyres on them. I had forgotten how much better they feel when driving than the factory fit summer tyres. Plus they are much quieter. I can't wait until those Pirelli tyres wear out so I can get a decent summer set, or at least much quieter!

Surprised just how much wear there is on the summer set though. Looks to be halfway gone after about 8,000 miles. I would have expected a bit more than that.

Just checked mine before storing them away, the car is currently on 17K miles (so I estimate the Pirelli’s have done around 10K miles) and there is still between 5 ½ - 6 ½ mm on them all.

Hi

Looking for a bit of advice for fitting my winters re spigot rings.

I have new wheels with bore size 70.1mm so was supplied with spigot rings to reduce to fit the hub size on the superb 57.1mm.

So i was looking tonight and put one of the rings in the bore of the wheel and it doesnt sit flush and protrudes a little and from what ive read this would lead to a bad fitting.

i have a couple of pics any advice appreciated whether I Should try to fit tommorrow or order different spigots

cheers

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

Edited by Geestur

How far are they protruding? 1mm or less?

Might just need tapping in a bit more with a rubber mallet or similar.

If they are nearly but not quite flush don't worry, torquing up your bolts will crush the plastic into submission if needed!

You could always have a bespoke perfectly engineered set made, I've done that in the past, find a good engineering workshop to assist.

Cheers Yves

You need 57.1mm not 56.1mm

thanks for the reply gizmo68

Sorry that was a typo 57.1mm is what was supplied to me with the wheels what do you think about the overlap which in theory will create a space between face and hub

Edited by Geestur

Try one on the car and see if it pushes into the wheel fully, if it leaves a gap then I wouldn't risk them.

yeh thats what i thought i would do.

ive ordered ebay ones that pictures look different from ones ive got but the ones that come could be the same.

will try a fit tommorrow

cheers man

Have been through the thread and can't see definite answer one way or the other if the wheels from an Octavia 3 vRS would fit a S3?

I have a set of 7.5 x18 ET51 with 225/40 R18 Pirelli Sottozero tyres from my current O3 that ideally would like to use on a S3. Dealer I am about to order a S3 L&K 280  through is potentially throwing a set of winter wheels/tyres into the deal, but if I can use the perfectly good wheels I already have, I can barter in a different direction.

Set of winters just delivered from Mr Winter wheels, £556 for 16" steel wheels & 215/60 x 16 Goodyear UltraGrip tyres (also get £50 John Lewis voucher for these tyres) :happy:

post-46701-0-75583100-1479207514_thumb.jpg

Edited by Q102