So I have a few questions......

These are the 3 finalist..... All various specs and price.

image.jpg7_zpsrxtyarpe.jpg

If I can spend £15k

image.jpg6_zpspelxk9f3.jpg

If I can spend £12k

And this is the curve ball....

image.jpg2_zpsmin9mesa.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsdfucch5d.jpg

image.jpg5_zps1lbmuqhi.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsrbnhenju.jpg

Unusual green SE - 170 4x4 manual. Full history. 97k on the clock - but it does have a nice panoramic sunroof!! And it's just come into the same dealers as the other 4x4 pictured!

Going to look at both of them at the weekend!...

However can someone explain the difference between the SE & Elegance spec - and can the extra parts be retro fitted??

(Elegance) Standard Equipment (over SE)

18” ‘Themisto’ alloys
(7.5J x 18” 225/40 R18 92Y)
4 Spoke leather multi-function steering wheel
(inc controls for radio and telephone)
Bi-Xenon lights with AFS
(Adaptive Front-light System)
‘Columbus’ colour touchscreen satellite navigation system with Voice Control, SD card reader up to 32GB, MP3 and 3.5mm aux in socket (no 6CD autochanger)

Electrically adjustable front seats,
driver’s seat with memory
(no storage box under passenger seat)
Full leather upholstery
Headlight washers
Heated front seats
Hill hold control (3.6 V6 and 1.8 TSI DSG only) Premium GSM III telephone preparation
with Bluetooth
® (UHV and rSAP)

Protective chrome side mouldings Rain sensor
TPM (Tyre Pressure Monitor)
Tyre repair kit (no spare wheel)
†† 

Also being a 10 plate it may not have DRL’s in the fogs (can’t quite tell with the photo), Bluetooth will not be as good as the 60 plate ones, 5 digit postcode search (on Columbus)

I like the green one more than the other two... pity its only a SE though.

SE Standard Equipment (over S)

17” ‘Trifid’ alloys
(7.5J x 17” 225/45 R17 94 W/Y)
4 Spoke leather multi-function
steering wheel (for radio)
Acoustic rear parking sensors
Alcantara upholstery (alcantara inner seat, artificial leather outer seat)
Aluminium floor plates in boot with sliding partition tether system (Estate only) Boarding spots (under door mirrors) Chrome Roof Rails (Estate only)

Chrome trim on lower boot
Chrome window surrounds
Cruise control
Decorative metal inserts on dashboard Dual-zone air conditioning

Electrically folding door mirrors (after locking of car) Front fog lights with cornering function
Height adjustable front armrest
Interior door handle illumination

Lower grille chrome surround

Maxi-dot trip computer
Net on mid console
Pollen and dust filter with sensor
Radio ‘Bolero’ 2 DIN touchscreen with integrated 6CD changer, SD card slot, aux in socket
(can play MP3 recordings)
Small leather pack (steering wheel,
gearknob and gaiter)
Tyre repair kit (no spare wheel)
† 

The green one - the beige ones are too beige... In reality go for the one that drives best :D. The elegance spec is well worth having just so you have all the toys this forum spends its time talking about - auto wipers and lights, cruise control, auto dipping mirrors and bixenon lights make a differences that seems subtle to the driving experience. Losing them however is very noticeable when you drive someone else's car.

Be aware that while the panoramic sunroof is awesome, it does need a bit more minding to stop it creaking on rough roads (Basically gummi pflege on the seals and make sure the garage greased it every service).

I like the green one. All the kit you need...and I think the Panoramic roof is a great addition to the Superb. 

This is what I would do.......

If you drive less than 10,000 miles per year, go for the petrol. If you drive more than 10,000 miles per year consider the diesels. For the diesels, review when the timing belt/water pump change is needed and whether it has been done. For DSG, review when the oil and filter change is required, whether this model was subject to 'the wrong sort of oil' recall and whether it was done.

I am sure yoj will check that the many and various systems and features all work. Don't forget to check for the umbrella in the nearside rear door and if there are rails/channels in the boot, check that the various partitions and moveable tether eyes are all present.

It would be worth trying to pair your phone to the bluetooth assuming all of them have this feature

That L&K is nice, but it won't be around for long as that engine is quite rare.

Plus you get quad exhausts on an estate, and the option to remap (easily) at a later date - as mentioned above.

At the price it's on for, it won't be hanging around on the forecourt for long. It seems like they have priced it more like an Elegance, than a L&K?

You can darken the colour up by choosing the right car wax.

And do you really need 4WD?

Edited by JakeBlade

Plus you get quad exhausts on an estate, and the option to remap (easily) at a later date - as mentioned above.

At the price it's on for, it won't be hanging around on the forecourt for long. It seems like they have priced it more like an Elegance, than a L&K?

You can darken the colour up by choosing the right car wax.

And do you really need 4WD?

If you use "usedcarexpert.co.uk you will find that the L&K is usually priced lower than the Elegance :thumbdown:  but the prices are good. :thumbup:

Edited by Danny 57

I live n north of Scotland - snow has been known to be quite bad, plus my car usually gets used as a tow/chase vehicle for some of the guys in the local club. And we maybe borrowing a caravan next summer, so 4x4 would be useful.

I've also found a 2.0tsi hatch for £13k.

I do approx 7800 miles a year commuting, I do a few thousand miles going on holiday & to car shows.... Plus I use my GTi too.

I've had diesel for the last 4 cars & enjoy the torque. (I ended up towing a car with a trailer on it with the Jetta when it's fuel pump seized )

But I do enjoy petrol cars too, I've had an Audi Quattro, Polo G40 & a TurboTechnics Golf GTi - quick petrols are fine by me.

I toured west coat of Scotland earlier in the year, as I do every year (usually on motorbike) in my twin door 170 4x4 elegance, I loved having the all wheel drive, given it was full of snow over some of the passes and the car coped admirably. If i lived up there 4x4 all the time.

Always had petrol and my Skoda is my first diesel and given that someone else took the hit I am glad to have the extra torque of a diesel, especially now it is cheaper than petrol.

What is is the tsi thats up for 13k?

Edited by simon100gs

If it was me. I would go for the petrol. It's a lot of car for the money. Then spend a grand on an old Suzuki Jimny for the winter. They will go anywhere. I know, I bought one and am amazed that it out performs my Landy in the white stuff.

• Like 1

I thought only the 3.6 came with quad exhausts (any model)? The 2.0 petrol has a dual exhaust on one side (just asking, not being a pedant...just expanding my knowledge :) )

Dave

I thought only the 3.6 came with quad exhausts (any model)? The 2.0 petrol has a dual exhaust on one side (just asking, not being a pedant...just expanding my knowledge :) )

Dave

Yeah, the 2.0TSI comes with the quad system, Dave. Followed one the other day, thinking I was coming up behind a V6!

• Like 1

My choice would be the 2.0TSI. Firstly its a great spec, and has by far the lowest mileage and is the newest. Obviously the thirstiest of the three but as you don't do many miles a year not too much of a problem. And if you do quite a few short journeys no DPF to worry about. Plenty of performance, plus four exhausts poking out the back, and the only one with DSG. Although 4x4 would be nice to have how often do you really need it. For the snow some winters tyres will work wonders. I'm sure you've seen this before but have a watch anyway  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2cMlNRX_A

The second one has a tow bar fitted, useful for you I know but if its done lots of towing in the past it could have a detrimental effect on the mechanics. I once had a bad experience with a Passat that I later found had done a lot of towing in the past.

Personally I don't like green on the Superb, and checking on Autotrader there are only three MK2 Superbs listed for sale throughout the UK, its just not a popular colour, could be difficult come resale time, and won't stay looking clean like the lighter colours during the winter months.

Obviously you need to see them, drive them, and go by how you feel after that. Don't make any snap decisions, weigh up the pros and cons of each, and enjoy the buying experience.  

Funny thing is I only put my Jetta up for sale last week and I've already turned down one swop (mk2 Octavia Vrs 2.0t with 270bhp) and someone else coming to look on Sunday - they already made an offer of £3900 without even seeing it yet!

I budgeted on only getting £2400 for the Jetta as a trade in - more money to spend on a newer car!!