Tyre Choice for MY2015 vRS Estate

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to garner some opinions on what the best tyre choice is for the vRS Estate (18' alloys).

The current Bridgestones have worn very well and have good grip, but I have heard good reports about the Goodyear F1's.

What is everyone's opinions?

Used GY Eagle F1 on previous vRS and was happy with them. Swayed by the AutoExpress tyre test where the F1 didn't rate as highly as it once did and have just swapped 2 of the OEM Bridgestones with Continental SportContact5 at £95 per corner from TyreShopper (National Tyres).

For me I have used and reccommend GY F1 symmetric 2 and Michelin Pilot Sport 3, they are both good all weather tyres

I've gone fro the GY F1 symmetric 2's from Black Circles, they're 186GBP fitted at a local garage.

• Like 2

Let us know what you think of them, as I am thinking of changing the CS2s on mine due to the amount of noise they produce. I am torn between the GY F1s and Michelin Pilot Super Sports, as they get even better reviews than the F1s.

• Like 1

My next set will be Michelin Pilot Super Sports, although I lhave iked both the Goodyear F1's & Efficient Grip's on previous cars. The Michelin's are soft compound so will not last long, but their grip levels within wet and dry conditions are highgly regarded. In the winter I use Nokian WR D3's.

The stock Conti SC2's on my VRS have been rubbish. They have poor dry grip and are terrible in the wet. I thought that I had alignment issues due to so little front-end grip, but Hunter alignment required just the merest of changes and made no noticeable difference (£55 down the drain). Unfortunately SC2's seem to last forever.

Let us know what you think of them, as I am thinking of changing the CS2s on mine due to the amount of noise they produce. I am torn between the GY F1s and Michelin Pilot Super Sports, as they get even better reviews than the F1s.

Will do!  :thumbup:

Does anyone know if the 15" steels  I use in the winter on my 2006 Octavia will fit the 2013 VRS that I am just about to buy? I think that the pcd is the same but I am not sure if they will go over the calipers.

they wont fit I think they have to be 17" and above for the VRS

Does anyone know if the 15" steels  I use in the winter on my 2006 Octavia will fit the 2013 VRS that I am just about to buy? I think that the pcd is the same but I am not sure if they will go over the calipers.

The front brakes of the mk3 VRS require minimum 17" wheels, otherwise they will not clear the calipers.

• Like 1

I've gone fro the GY F1 symmetric 2's from Black Circles, they're 186GBP fitted at a local garage.

Thats quite expensive I only paid £154 per tyre for 19" assymetric 2's supply and fit

Edit unless that price is for 2?

anyone using the new Michelin crossclimate tyres,

no need for 2 sets of tyres for summer & winter, reviews seem to be good

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2015-02/michelin-crossclimate-tyres/

These are really new (May 2015) to the market hence, not many have car have them yet however, with winter coming and not being very happy with the road/rear suspension noise in my car, I'm gonna give them a go also, Costco can do them at £100 a corner.

BTW. currently they only go upto 17" so their not yet available for the vRS

These are really new (May 2015) to the market hence, not many have car have them yet however, with winter coming and not being very happy with the road/rear suspension noise in my car, I'm gonna give them a go also, Costco can do them at £100 a corner.

BTW. currently they only go upto 17" so their not yet available for the vRS

yea, i was in Costco at the weekend and was pricing them up,

I've a spare set of 16 inch steelies in the garage without tyres and was gonna give them a try.

205/55 x 16  -  £68

every know and then, they do  £60 off if you buy 4, so gonna wait

hopefully get 4 fitted & balanced for just over £200   :clap:

not sure how much the 17 inch tyres where, maybe not much more, but you'd obviously have to downsize and buy new wheels to fit the vrs  :thumbdown:

225/45/17's on mine currently, the largest tyre made in these Crossclimate

I reckon if the Marketting BS is half right they'll be not noticible different in the summer but, noticible better spring, autumn and especially through the winter

You probably wont notice any difference untill you have to do an emergency braking....

Crossclimate tyres are the Jack of all trade, master of none.

225/45/17's on mine currently, the largest tyre made in these Crossclimate

I reckon if the Marketting BS is half right they'll be not noticible different in the summer but, noticible better spring, autumn and especially through the winter

just realised you've got an elegance so on 17 inch wheels.

quite a difference in price between the 16 & 17 inch tyres

I suppose even at £100 x 4 = £400 , then wait for £60 off and get them for  £340, so not to bad.

it'll probably only be a matter of time before they do them in 18's and bigger.

I had Michelin Eagles on the front for the last 15K and the supplied Conti 2's on the back (25K). I have just replaced all four with Conti 5s and the difference to internal noise is substantial as is the loss of front wheel spin in first gear. I am lucky that a local independent tyre fitter will supply the Contis at £96 fitted which is the same price as the Eagles. I have tried Toyo Proxies and Verdestines on my Mark 2 VRS but the new Contis really are the dogs B*****s. Regards the internal noise, I know the Eagles have a lower noise Dcb rating but that is on external noise and doesn't always correlate to what it sounds like in the cabin

You probably wont notice any difference untill you have to do an emergency braking....

Crossclimate tyres are the Jack of all trade, master of none.

check out the link above, they performed equally to Michelin's summer tyre [ energy saver ] on dry roads

and the same on wet against the alpin winter tyre

check out the link above, they performed equally to Michelin's summer tyre [ energy saver ] on dry roads

and the same on wet against the alpin winter tyre

Oh. Then I stand corrected.

Im used to the all season tyres beeing really crappy in all seasons.

But it might be that you get another kind of rubbercompound who is more suited to tarmac than snow.