Should Aircon be left on Permanently?

fellside17

I am a bit confused as to when to use aircon . 

I know that if in use it increases fuel consumption so it is logical to only switch it on when you need it. 

BUT

reading "Honest John" about aircon - he says 

"With a standard manually controlled a/c system you should leave the a/c on all the time, even if not using it to cool the car. You should also turn the system to full cold for ten minutes once a week – even through the winter if you can – in order to circulate refrigerant which contains lubricants for the system and its seals. Then switch to full heat through the same pipes to thoroughly dry them out. This gets rid of any moisture in the ventilation trunking where mould and bacteria might be accumulating. "

What do others think? and when do you have your aircon button pressed? 

My air con/climate has been switched on since day one and, only on the odd occasion has it been switched off.

Even in ambient temperatures I leave it on with it set to around 22c. Never had any problems with it, had it regased about 12 months ago.

With the note that I have Climate Control, not manual aircon, yes I leave it on full time. I've also experimented with putting the trip computer into instantaneous mpg mode, settling down at about 1300rpm on a flat road, and switching into "Econ" mode (heating on, AC off) and get no detectable move in fuel consumption over 0.5 miles.

no, as I understand modern air con units pass gas through the system all the time to prevent the seals going and gas escaping. Just turn it on when you need it. Saying that it is worth while using it during the winter to demist windows and to get the compressor moving.

And it definitely effects MPG and performance having it on

• Like 1

Two opposing views always on this ....my manual A/C is on when it's hot, on to demist occasionally ...the rest of the time it's "off". And, I've never had A/C "serviced" or re-gassed...never needed either, even in 8 and 9 year old Fabias. 

I'd used mine on cold for the really hit period we had then not used it for a few weeks and it stuck like my toddlers full nappy.

I then ran it on full heat with a/c on for 15 minutes with windows down and that got rid of smell.

Think I'll be blasting it at least once a week moving forward, never has this issue with previous cars though.

Mine's on all the while on Auto. Yes, it may use a tad more fuel, but that is easily canceled out by not taking part in any traffic light grands prix, ie a heavy right foot does more damage to mpg figures.

I'd rather be comfortable.....

Always on. When its hot/warm it cools the car. When its cool it dehumidifies. The climate here is sufficiently damp that its worth it. Modern systems use very little fuel unless they're working hard. Which is exactly when you want them on anyway.

Always leave the AC on, it does a lot more than just cool air.

Take the current wet weather for example, with the AC off the car will steam up with all the moisture entering the cabin however with the AC on the moisture is removed from the air before it gets into the cabin to mist up the windows. If you want heat then you can heat the cooled AC air to get heat.

• Like 3

Always leave the AC on, it does a lot more than just cool air.

Take the current wet weather for example, with the AC off the car will steam up with all the moisture entering the cabin however with the AC on the moisture is removed from the air before it gets into the cabin to mist up the windows. If you want heat then you can heat the cooled AC air to get heat.

current wet weather? this is the first week this year round here where it's been hot enough to warrant air con   :nerd:

• Like 1

There are lots of schools of thoughts. Personally Id just leave it on - Ive done this in all my previous cars and never had a problem(last one 7 years and didnt need a re gas)

Unless you are ultra ultra going for it on mpg and even then its a small amount, your driving style would probably counter that more.