Vag Com Pro or VCDS

26DIPP

I am looking at new and 2. hand leads. I hope I can get some answers and either a Vag Can Professional lead and I was also offered a proper Ross VCDS lead where the guy has lost the license key.

Do the Vag Can Pro leads use similar / the same kind of coding as VCDS leads?

Can I upgrade software on a gen. VCDS lead if I do not have the license key?

I am looking at new and 2. hand leads. I hope I can get some answers and either a Vag Can Professional lead and I was also offered a proper Ross VCDS lead where the guy has lost the license key.

Do the Vag Can Pro leads use similar / the same kind of coding as VCDS leads?

Can I upgrade software on a gen. VCDS lead if I do not have the license key?

Someone is selling you a clone lead and trying it on.

Agreed about the VCDS lead you've been offered, there in no licence key that you need to use so it sounds dodgy. As for which one to choose, that's a more difficult question.

VCP is more powerful that VCDS and has better support for the latest cars (MQB platform).

VCDS has much better customer support forums, simpler to use and appears to be a more genuine company with multiple employees.

For standard coding changes and diagnostics I'd choose VCDS as it's well understood and most guides are written with it in mind.

If you want to flash firmware files, activate VIM (paid upgrade) and access the eeprom of various modules directly then I'd use VCP.

So overall, it depends what you want to use it for and how computer literate you are.

I'd agree with the above - VCP is dangerous in the wrong hands and you can brick an ECU if you don't understand what you are doing. It is for advanced users really.

VCDS is a lot more user friendly, but less powerful.

If you are new to this, VCDS.

If you are knowledgeable about VAG cars and vehicle diagnostics, retrofits and ECU flashing then VCP.

There are some functions that VCP does with guided wizards that VCDS can't do, such as Byte 18 changes on A5 platform cars. If you don't understand this statement, get VCDS.