Amundsen Sat Nav

Is there any way with this sat Nav I can set it too stop it trying to save 1/2 a mile all the time

By sending me down lanes etc?

The other day I found I was going down a lane with grass growing in the middle .

It may have saved 1/2 a foot but it did nothing for my nerves and increased the overall travel time alarmingly.

I've tried various setting from fast too eco but it appears to make no difference. If there's a foot to be saved off we go down a lane again.

Other sat navs I've had and a built in one in a Note were never this bad.

2015 Octavia with latest Sat Nav update.

If this keeps on it will be sat Nav for sale with free Skoda Octavia.

• Like 1

I share your frustration & I too have tried options to eliminate illogical routes but now just go with it. I still have a TomTom and have used that, but it also can suggest back roads. Sometimes it can be amusing when in a queue of traffic down a lane thinking everybody else is following info from their satnavs.

A friend has a satnav that doesn't give miles to go but just says "stay on this road for a long time". Whoever dreamt that instruction up is seriously lacking in the brain department.

A friend has a satnav that doesn't give miles to go but just says "stay on this road for a long time". Whoever dreamt that instruction up is seriously lacking in the brain department.

That's exactly what the one in my Passat says..  Makes the wife giggle.

I don't usually have a problem during the summer months (when using "fastest" travel for the settings) but it would be nice to have another option which is "use only major roads".

Particularly in winter when trying to navigate to a ski station the minor roads (whilst perhaps faster in the summer) can be unpassable in the winter.

I'm yet to see a navigation which can account for these kinds of conditions in the winter.

Interesting that you say that because I almost feel the car's doing the opposite on mine, sometimes seemingly going miles off course just to stick to faster roads. Often, I ignore it but as always, it's pretty much impossible to tell whether it's actually quicker or not. Generally, although I find the sat nav pretty annoying (in particular its ridiculous how long it takes to load before you can put a destination in) but I've found the actual routefinding quite good.

Edited by Dr_Pepper
  • Like 1

Even fastest still sends you down poxy little lanes if they're the same speed limit as the road you're on and it's 1m shorter. Found that last night... only thing you can do is look at the map or zoom it out and make a snap decision if you think it's wrong.

999rigger how can this be done? My MY16 Amundsen almost seems to have an aversion to motorways, taking me off through village after village instead of sticking to major roads. The "three" options are almost always generally the same route save for a squiggly bit at the end. I've spent time trying to find suitable preferences in the settings, but to no avail.

• Like 2

I turned off the dynamic route change

in the setting as it was doing odd things for slight traffic issues. Seems to have sorted it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting that you say that because I almost feel the car's doing the opposite on mine, sometimes seemingly going miles off course just to stick to faster roads. Often, I ignore it but as always, it's pretty much impossible to tell whether it's actually quicker or not. Generally, although I find the sat nav pretty annoying (in particular its ridiculous how long it takes to load before you can put a destination in) but I've found the actual routefinding quite good.

As CWK says, the navigation has automatic traffic updates & it will calculate the route based on current traffic conditions so may avoid motorways if it thinks that there is slow traffic, queues or an accident. 

I've found that this information sometimes takes a long time to be updated (so alerts you to stationary traffic 30minutes after you are stuck in it or sends you down the side-roads when you can see the motorway is clear).

But as this information is provided as a public service (nothing to do with VAG or Skoda) theres not much you can do except turn it off or try to make an educated choice.

My favourite thing the Amundsen does is "turn half left"! Never heard anything so ridiculous in my life!

A half left or right is a relative direction relating to turns that are not strictly 90 degrees to the direction of travel. There are road signs that exhibit half turn directions (see attached).

Normally the instruction may be considered superfluous but can be relevant in a few cases (eg five way cross roads). They can also be used to indicate slip roads but that use is deprecated.

post-7909-0-56510900-1441309297.jpg

Is there a "unpaved roads" option that can be deselected? My new Tom Tom had this selected when I drove my 3 day old VRS to Shropshire, in January, directing me through a farmyard covered in cow dung and skirted the edge of a wood with a good dusting of snow to keep me on my toes. Was not a happy bunny. Finally sat down with the Tom Tom and sorted it out and it is a good piece of kit. Moral of the story is read instructions prior to use!

A while ago (before my Amundsen) my TomTom directed me to turn left. The left turn was a locked farm gate with a large sign (no doubt put up by the farmer)

"Private Road - ignore your sat nav."

I drove on a mile or so only for the TomTom to tell me to turn around when possible - no doubt to return to the same farm gate!!

• Like 2