Smart link / carplay

Plenty have tested in Octavia if you head over to there for impressions, videos and pictures. Seems to work very well.

Look forward to using Android Auto myself in about 3-4 weeks now. It's still a new technology and will only improve which is what's great about it, it makes the in car entertainment future proof

I thought the Octavia 3 only had smartlink. I am pretty sure it does not have Android Auto & Apple Carplay. I think the Superb 3 will be one of the first VAG cars to get Android Auto.

No the systems in Octavia from build week 22 are exactly the same as what's in the Superb and you can see video evidence to confirm that over in Octavia section.

It's a chargeable extra for Octavia where as in the superb it is standard that's the only difference

I thought the Octavia 3 only had smartlink. I am pretty sure it does not have Android Auto & Apple Carplay. I think the Superb 3 will be one of the first VAG cars to get Android Auto.

smart link is mirrorlink + android auto + apple car play

I have it in my car, not tried car play as I don't have any apple devices but android auto works well, mirrorlink works too but has the limitations of that system

• 6 months later...

Anyone have issues with Apple car play cutting out / losing connection to the iPhone at random intervals? Can't work why but have at least established to het the connection back need to remove and add back the usb cable.

As mentioned Siri not great for texting if car moving.

the only issue i have had with carplay was from a short lead I bought off eBay.

once I replaced it with the original it worked fine ( apparently some leads don't register as compatible with the apple device being used)

My car play breaks at least once a day, whether using an official lead or not and the stereo needs a soft reset.

I abondoned it today and reverted to Bluetooth. That lasted one journey and wouldn't connect again either so had to reset the stereo again.

It's definitely the flakiest stereo software I've ever had in a car

Edited by Bugginbob

Hi, can anyone post link for original/certified usb cable for android phones.. I started another topic. I bought bandridge cable (one of best producers...) wich works fine if i connect phone to REAR usb connector! If i connect it to the front - it only charges (fast, good), but i cannot use android auto, or mirror link... Its like wtf??

I'm using a £1.50 one off eBay.. It's a so called genuine blackberry one with my LG g3.

I'm not happy with my android auto at the moment as I need to press the phone 3 times be for it connects.

Edited by RickTT

No need to worry about genuine certified cable apart from iPhones. MicroUSB as used by android is just a dumb cable and any ought to be fine.

Apple cables need a chip with some intelligence to get full compatibility.

No need to worry about genuine certified cable apart from iPhones. MicroUSB as used by android is just a dumb cable and any ought to be fine.

Apple cables need a chip with some intelligence to get full compatibility.

Sadly not true. Lots of us have had issues with micro USB cables of variable quality.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Well my smart link sometimes takes 3 or 4 trys to connect.. I need to press allo on the phone .. Then the system trys via android auto.... Then via mirror link (which is not supported)

Then to retry connection, disconnect phone and try again... By which time I will of wanted to get driving and therefore just leave it .

Is there an official cable for android ? The only thing I can see myself using it for (and only used it for so far) is Amazon music.

It's Amazon Music I'd like to use also. I can get it to connect but it's yet to play a full song without cutting out. Really poor. I bought an SD card so I could use the USB port for the phone and Amazon. What a waste of time that's proved!

It's Amazon Music I'd like to use also. I can get it to connect but it's yet to play a full song without cutting out. Really poor. I bought an SD card so I could use the USB port for the phone and Amazon. What a waste of time that's proved!

Once it's connects.. Amazon music is good for me, (signal depending of course) with good sound quality.

I too have a sd card class 10 32gb at the moment which was always the plan.. Also had a 16gb usb one of needed..

there are so many variables here (phone, OS version, cable) etc that the problems are hard to diagnose. I have a work LG G4 and a personal Moto X Play. The G4 used to be a bit flaky connection wise but the Moto was reliable. Now both are upgraded to Marshmallow the Moto seems temperamental connection wise. I find that if there's a connection problem then resetting bluetooth and then telling android auto to forget all cars works every time. Last night I had an hour and a half drive to Glasgow and then half an hour back - listened to podcasts all the way while avoiding traffic jams using google maps and it held the connection the whole way. 

• 11 months later...