USB and aux Socket

Good Morning all,

On my Octavia III when I got it last year I tried charging my phone from the USB port under the heating controls. However nothing. I was told its a low voltage USB and that it only reads flash cards etc. I have my 16 Gb flash connected and works fine. 

Still this seemed odd. Asked my dealer and he said the same. My father bought a new Fabia III and I tried charging my phone yesterday (same phone as what I tried on my car) in there and it charged. 

This is bringing me to the conclusion that my Octavia socket is not working correctly. To add to the mystery, I bought an USB to lighter adapter and that does not work in the front 12V socket but only in the boot. Again approached my Skoda dealer with this and they said my car was fine!

Bought a different make cigarette adapter and same again, only worked in the boot.

Being I have been to my dealer twice and not interested in going a third time, be nice to get some ideas please.

Thanks

Del

Mines a May 14 plate. Not tried USB charging but, from 12v is a permanent live. I have a 12v-USB plug in with an illuminated suround, this shows its on even when the car is locked. Charges my phone fine. However sometimes when I use Co-pilot sat nav it struggles to keep charged. I think front and rear sockets are on the same circuit.

My March 14 registered car will charge my phone (Xperia Z2) just fine from the USB socket under the heater controls.  I've never tried the cigarette lighter / USB plug-in on my phone, but that charges my son's iPod no problem, so there's no reason it shouldn't charge a phone...

I have an old iPhone 4 and when I first got my MY16 Scout, it wouldn't charge the 'phone. After a bit of playing around, I took it back to the dealer who very kindly pointed out my £1.50 eBay lead wasn't a genuine Apple lead.  I swapped it for my genuine a Apple lead and that works fine.  

If you're not using the original lead and you have that to hand, try it.  Even a low power USB port should top up a 'phone's charge, albeit slowly - I have a spare mains charger I sometimes use away from home - it takes over 12 hours to charge my iPad, but it does charge it. 

I have a 64 plate and can charge my phone and iPod from the usb socket as well as using a twin USB/cigarette adapter in the front, no issues. Might be worth visiting a different dealership.

Different dealer is really the only choice and they should cover it on the warranty. I also got my Octavia in March 2014. Don't want them looking for an electrical fault for hours and paying a whopping bill.

Mines a May 14 plate. Not tried USB charging but, from 12v is a permanent live. I have a 12v-USB plug in with an illuminated suround, this shows its on even when the car is locked. Charges my phone fine. However sometimes when I use Co-pilot sat nav it struggles to keep charged. I think front and rear sockets are on the same circuit.

My 12V USB also has a light. Thats how I knew the boot was working and not the one up front.

I have an old iPhone 4 and when I first got my MY16 Scout, it wouldn't charge the 'phone. After a bit of playing around, I took it back to the dealer who very kindly pointed out my £1.50 eBay lead wasn't a genuine Apple lead.  I swapped it for my genuine a Apple lead and that works fine.  

If you're not using the original lead and you have that to hand, try it.  Even a low power USB port should top up a 'phone's charge, albeit slowly - I have a spare mains charger I sometimes use away from home - it takes over 12 hours to charge my iPad, but it does charge it. 

Thanks for that. I am using the originally cable from the box. Tried it with the same cable in the Octavia and the Fabia. Fabia works Octavia does not.

I have a 64 plate Octavia and my USB port charges my iPhone 5/4 and Kindle Paperwhite and I use none genuine cables.

You could also print this thread and show the dealer.

My usb port sometimes loses the memory stick and wont play the music, reverting to aux input... Pull it out and put it in again solves it, or the off.... Wait a while....on again trick too. Just sharing my usb niggle..

I also have a USB stick full of music which sometimes fails to get recognised.complete albums on this, and an SD card full of individual favourite tracks,so its like a radio but no annoying dj telling me what they did last night, and no adverts......

When playing music from my iPhone5s via the usb connection, the music often interrupts for a fraction of a second, then resumes - very annoying. Haven't tried an SD card yet.  

Any ideas?

Thanks

I have to plug my HTC One M9 into the 12v socket via a usb adaptor when using GPS. 

The usb socket cannot provide enough power to keep the battery level let alone charge it up.

I'm hoping that 500mA will be enough to keep my phone charged while it's running Android Auto (screen off and no bluetooth so it should be ok) otherwise I'll be using my QuickCharge 2 compatible 12v adapter.

Android auto still uses Bluetooth for the phone. I've had no issues with it so far.
  • Like 1

I just wish they would put the USB and Aux socket in the armrest like a lot of other cars or in the compartment in front of the gear lever like the MK7 Golf. That way the cable is hidden and doesn't shout "steal me" if you forget and leave the charging lead in.

Old ford runabout works well with an ipod constantly plugged into the USB in the armrest always hidden. Phone via bluetooth for everything else. Nothing on show and nothing to constantly plug and unplug. Plugging in a USB cable twice a day can't do it any good.