How many advanced drivers?

I'd say go and see the groups before you spend the money.

The difference on paper is a RoSPA test is a graded pass (bronze, silver, gold), or fail, whereas IAM is just pass or fail. RoSPA qualifications last 3 years, IAM is a lifetime pass.

The guy who did my test tests for both and he said there's no real difference in what you have to do to pass one versus the other.

My experience though is some groups in either organisation can be a bit up themselves. I've found this with one IAM group and one RoSPA group, so that's why I say go see them first. I qualified the first time in a 20 year old 1 litre polo. No issues apart from I had to explain I was doing what I could to "make progress", a few years later I took a similar car to another group where I didn't fit in as I wasn't driving a brand new audi or BMW.

• Like 3

Not quite. IAM can either be a recommendation to membership, in effect, a pass or a non recommendation ie the candidate has not reached the required standard. If the candidate shows exceptional ability, they may be awarded a first. 

http://www.iam.org.uk/drivers/f1rst

Membership is renewed annually and candidates should be re-tested every three years to ensure they maintain the standard. Observers are also subject to re-test. Of course, you can't force people to retake it, but the free refresher usually tempts people back and then they take it again.

• 1 month later...

This has come to a head with me this week.  I have been asked to consider becoming a blood bike volunteer for Lincolnshire blood bikes and also to join the local IAM group.  For both of those I have needed to prove my qualification on the bike.  I have long since lost my certificates but the Police sent me a copy of my course reports which are apparently sufficient.

So I may well may have a solution to bing bored now I have retired.

• Like 1

I'd say go and see the groups before you spend the money.

The difference on paper is a RoSPA test is a graded pass (bronze, silver, gold), or fail, whereas IAM is just pass or fail. RoSPA qualifications last 3 years, IAM is a lifetime pass.

The guy who did my test tests for both and he said there's no real difference in what you have to do to pass one versus the other.

My experience though is some groups in either organisation can be a bit up themselves. I've found this with one IAM group and one RoSPA group, so that's why I say go see them first. I qualified the first time in a 20 year old 1 litre polo. No issues apart from I had to explain I was doing what I could to "make progress", a few years later I took a similar car to another group where I didn't fit in as I wasn't driving a brand new audi or BMW.

Not quite - if you are able to pass IAM with no marks then you are capable of earning a first which is the equivalent of a ROSPA gold.

I've got ROSPA gold in car and a First on the bike.

After doing both types the only difference is the group and what they offer. For me with the bike at this time I got more from being a member of the local IAM bike group than the ROSPA group - they seemed more friendly and more "human"

At the end of the day if you want to do this go and visit your local groups both IAM and ROSPA and decide which best suits you and gives you what you want out of advanced riding/driving.

• Like 3

Advanced driver (emergency services) but I have never bothered to transfer it to IAM etc. I appreciate the skills been haven't seen the benefit in getting the IAM sticker.

This has come to a head with me this week.  I have been asked to consider becoming a blood bike volunteer for Lincolnshire blood bikes and also to join the local IAM group.  For both of those I have needed to prove my qualification on the bike.  I have long since lost my certificates but the Police sent me a copy of my course reports which are apparently sufficient.

So I may well may have a solution to bing bored now I have retired.

Never realised there was a service in Lincs. Definitely a great cause.

Advanced driver (emergency services) but I have never bothered to transfer it to IAM etc. I appreciate the skills been haven't seen the benefit in getting the IAM sticker.

Why not take up the challenge?

Never realised there was a service in Lincs. Definitely a great cause.

It would seem it is limited to Lincoln, Grantham and Boston at the moment so us poor souls at Louth are left out for some reason.  I think they are trying to expand further North so whether than would just cover Gainsborough and Louth I don't know.

http://www.lebbs.org/

As I have found out you would be eligible to join without a test but obviously have to pay the membership fee.  As far as I am concerned having joined many many years ago the benefits were not worth it and the only reason I will join this time is if I decide to take up Instructing again.

Why not take up the challenge?

No challenge involved, I get s free pass as the emergency services train beyond what IAM and ROSPA can due to speeds etc, I just have to pay the fee. But to be honest I can't see the benefit in me being a member, I can understand the benefits in someone being trained and becoming a better driver and would actively encourage anyone to do it.

• Like 2

Only challenge is should yo decide to be a trainer/assessor but I doubt you will have the time for that.  I will only join if I decide to train people again as the benefits are negligible to me otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

Qualified as an ADI January 1991. Passed I.A.M. test the same year. Passed Rospa with a Gold same year again. Continued to get Gold with Rospa over the next 6 years. Dropped Rospa and kept the I.A.M membership. Worked in the learner industry up till 1996 and then thank goodness moved away from the learner market. I have been working full time as a fleet trainer on cars and LGV for the last 20years. One of the Fleet companys I do a lot of work for is the I.A.M. 

• 1 month later...

I passed IAM about 10 years ago and am a paid up member.  My family still maintain that it was the making of me as a driver.  It changed the way I viewed the road.  I was once assessed when it looked like I might take an ambulance test for St. John's and the examiner said it would probably only take 2-3 sessions to bring me up to the standard needed to drive under blues and two's.  Unfortunately time got the better of me and I never did get to go and become qualified.  I have gently peeled off my IAM sticker to go into my new car as I am quite proud of it.  I would recommend anyone to go and get some form of advanced drivers training - it probably doesn't matter who it's with as I bet they are all based on a similar approach.  I was always a bit disappointed that not more insurance companies recognise that you have had advanced training and offer a small discount though - for all the years I've been qualified the only way I've benefitted was in my own driving - I've never found any financial reward to having the qualification which is rather a shame when you think about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Emergency services qualified so joined IAM through exemption - thought it may make a bit of difference to insurance but apparently not. Won't be renewing my membership but certainly do appreciate the difference it's made to me as a driver both at work on blues and in my own car.

Have you had a quote from IAM Surety?

Emailed for a quote last week - will phone Monday as I'm due at the end of the month. Be interesting to see what they can offer, might make be renew at the end of the year. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...