Which hybrid turbo?

DubDub

Like I said in my first post, if he wants a very cheap setup that's easier to fit then go for the hybrid! I have a mate who's original turbo blew a couple of weeks ago and he's bought a Xman 17/52 hybrid that I linked him to because it's a cheap replacement.

It's just good to get a bit of a comparison with them if the OP is really considering a GTB. I majorly regretted spending over a grand on my hybrid! Granted this was before Xman was really as active on the forum so a GTB wasn't an option to me back then (well, not without paying Darkside extortionate amounts!).

As for price... not sure exactly but the 1756 is probably £500 for just the turbo as you say. I think it takes it up to around £700-750 when you factor in it being welded to a standard manifold, the exhaust flange and the braided oil feed. Hence why I would personally go for the 2260 for a little more. A new TIP really isn't needed.

The hybrid would probably work its way up to £550+ when the extras are also added on.

Yeah I agree, if he's considering it and thinking the extra bits of work are good fun then go for it.

For the two GT17/52's I've fitted, they have bolted straight on with zero changed other than the TIP, and for that I mean the silicone reducer part as the standard one is to small. Standard boost pipes can be made to fit if you remove the coupling.

If I get another Vrs, which I think I will, my petrol sport just isn't the same :D which will be my 4th, I wouldn't go down the GTB and engine rebuild I did previously, I'd get the gt17/52, decat downpipe and the updated SMIC I'm currently fitting in another thread below.

Removing the cat - £20?

Turbo - £450 I recon

SMIC and pipes - £130 so far

That should do a nice 210 bhp and keep me happy.

I think people forget everyone that has a 130bhp Fabia and wants abit extra power doesn't need a GTB.

They can make there own mind up and buy whichever turbo they want.

Seems to be abit of contradiction going on as far as saying get a GTB and don't do other upgrades over buying a different turbo.

Is £50 really the only price difference between a GTB and hybrid? For a bare turbo maybe but I'd imagine that will then be plus the things I've already said, oil feed, oil return, boost pipes, TIP, brackets, exhaust flange/ downpipe.

I'm sure you "could" get a GTB fitted for half my estimate.... And get the same figures as the hybrid.

there's no "could" about it, it's a fact. people seem to get suckered in by peak numbers and ignore drivability and the old area under the graph chestnut. in my experience (with a PD160, admittedly) the improvement going from a hybrid to a 2260 is greater than going from standard to hybrid.

the oil feed/return pipes are a "can be reused if undamaged following removal and not blocked" item, you don't need to replace boost pipes or TIP. brackets? the whole point is that the smaller GTB turbos people are selling are a straight swap apart from the downpipe, that's you're whole extra expense for a turbo whose innards have been made by a company that's been making turbos for 60 years

I see, I didn't know you could reuse the standard oil feed and return pipe with the GTB, I've always fitted the braided pipe with them, good to know then I suppose.

If the prices are almost similar now with very little between, get a GTB then I suppose.

I'm only going off my experience and in my opinion what's best for each person.

I don't think anyone's mentioned the GTB1749 yet?

Like a 1756 but will boost sooner and make about 200hp. Also you may get away with retaining the side mount intercooler, a decent Front mount with pipes will cost almost as much as the turbo, so a useful saving!

I have a GTB1756 on mine and I love it!

The only hybrid I've seen match a GTB1756VK in terms of low down boost was a £1200 turbo dynamics. Much more expensive then a GTB1756VK on a cast manifold from XMAN and certainly not under as much stress.

Assume this was mine John? I've got the MDX776 (from memory) from Turbo Dynamics. Mapped expertly by John (Faboka) at 2.1 bar it produced 234bhp on the rollers and drives superbly.

Yes it was more expensive than the GTB variants but for pretty much exact OE fitment it does the job.

Assume this was mine John? I've got the MDX776 (from memory) from Turbo Dynamics. Mapped expertly by John (Faboka) at 2.1 bar it produced 234bhp on the rollers and drives superbly.

Yes it was more expensive than the GTB variants but for pretty much exact OE fitment it does the job.

Yup :)

I see, I didn't know you could reuse the standard oil feed and return pipe with the GTB, I've always fitted the braided pipe with them, good to know then I suppose.

If the prices are almost similar now with very little between, get a GTB then I suppose.

I'm only going off my experience and in my opinion what's best for each person.

what's best for each person depends on the person, for sure

• Like 2

Like Alex mentioned, I drove his with a (£1100!!!) hybrid fitted, then again a few months later with a GTB2260 fitted. I ordered my GTB the next day. As far as I understand a GTB will hold its boost better at the top end than most hybrids will. Only slightly hard part of fitting it is welding the flange on the downpipe, that's all really. A garage fitted my 2nd GTB and charged £250 labour, same as they would for a straight swap. A GTB1756 spools nice and quick and still copes fine at 2.2 bar, in fact it embarrasses a lot of way more expensive, and supposedly faster, cars.

I do also agree on the point made about what your bhp target is, if it's 200 or so then get a hybrid. If it's 230+ then a GTB

I think the smaller GTB and the PD150 hybrids tend to spool the same low down, but I would imagine (or hope) the GTB would flow better, especially at the top end.

This is kind of guesswork on my part.  I have best of both worlds.  2260 and a hybrid.  Has sod all low down spool though :D

The difference between a hybrid and a gtb1756 is a lot in how it produces and holds the power throughout the revs.

The difference between a gtb1756 and gtb2260 is not much at all tbh,quite a lot more lag though with the 2260.

Managed to find my print out. No idea what it really mean lol.21689250262_2ca8936e17_b.jpg

Looks a bit suspect to me the torque line,that's saying it's holding 360lb ft until the red line?

But at the same time it's only showing 150 bhp at the top end.

Looks a bit suspect to me the torque line,that's saying it's holding 360lb ft until the red line?

But at the same time it's only showing 150 bhp at the top end.

The lines cross over at 3250rpm which confused me at first. Power starts as the bottom line on the left before je cross over point then finishes as the top line after. It makes more sense when you read the bottom bit as peak power is at 4200 and torque at 2500.

It's not very clear at all though. I just don't know if the way it males its power is good compared to the gtb's. Feels nice though and can hold 220bhp for the last 1000 revs or so.