buying a yeti - should I hold off?

boemher

I don't have anything against leasing but my wife and her father come from the school of buying things preferably with no lending involve so it wouldn't fly with her. There would be a loan involved to buy this but I'd be putting down a lump and probably borrowing 8k or similar and paying it off after 3 years so still having that feeling like you own it and keeping it until it's worth nothing.

I don't like the look of the concepts for the new yeti if they go down that road you may as well buy a qashqai or tuscan or sportage or any other generic looking crossover so I want the current yeti before they ruin it :)

I know exactly what you mean about leasing. You've seen the remark I made about my own feelings. I'd just urge you to do the sums and be aware that buying the car in the way you mention is going to cost you. Think of it this way: The 1.4 Yeti L&K with metallic paint lists at around the £25-25.5k mark. I'm spending £5.5k over 2 years to lease it (road tax included). Show me a car that, at 2years old / 16k miles, will be worth c.80% of its new price. Leasing the Yeti is going to cost me around £100/month less than the monthlies on the Fabia Monte Carlo estate + options that I very nearly committed to buying on a PCP, and that would have tied me in for 42 months instead of 24 and I still wouldn't own the car at the end and it would have given me a car with a lower spec on all fronts. The whole process I've been through recently has forced me to change my beliefs when it comes to purchasing a car and it very much goes against the grain.

I fully agree with what you say about the rumoured Yeti replacement. Another "me too" SUV that misses the point of the Yeti. However, Europe is becoming the tail wagged by the Chinese dog. We'd better all get used to that....

Edited by Citigopher
  • Like 2

The popularity of diesel was understandable but may have passed (never mind VAG being caught gaming an artificial test routine).several cities have started to charge/ban them and they have always had a niche appeal but only recently mass acceptance. This will blow over in time but the rattly smelliness will always exist as will the economics which only make sense for those who drag heavy loads or do rep style mileage.

Mmmm, must be something wrong with my hearing and sense of smell! :clap:

And as regards the economics it's not as clear cut as you make out as residuals are also a factor, dependant on the car bought. Well they were! :D

Returning to the question. I wouldn't rush into buying anything at the moment, as has been said by many others it's very early days yet and we need more information and to see how things pan out. 

Hopefully it will be the case that the Euro6 engines are found to be OK and if so you can go with your original thoughts if you still want to and there may be some good deals, better than now, around?

Edited by VAGCF

Hmmm.... lots of Diesel heads on here I see ;) Well they used to tell us smoking was good for us too... Maybe I will be wrong, but I think Diesel is going to die a death for passenger cars. Even if it doesn't, the internal combustion engine will be laughed at and unwanted within the next 15 years as long range, rapid charge electrics become ever more available with battery storage density increases. 

Edited by favguy

Hmmm.... lots of Diesel heads on here I see ;)Well they used to tell us smoking was good for us too... Maybe I will be wrong, but I think Diesel is going to die a death for passenger cars. Even if it doesn't, the internal combustion engine will be laughed at and unwanted within the next 15 years as long range, rapid charge electrics become ever more available as battery storage density increases. 

Take a look at my signature! :D

Even before the scandal it's been said by myself and many others that the writing is on the wall for diesel cars. They have needed so much technology on them to meet the emissions (!!!!) that they have become too complicated and the engine's characteristics increasingly compromised. And now that they have had to cheat to pass the tests the death will be sooner. 

I could have gone with petrol or diesel when I bought mine a few weeks ago for my mileage/use but like diesels for cars like the Yeti and thought it would probably be my last one!

Hmmm.... lots of Diesel heads on here I see ;) Well they used to tell us smoking was good for us too... Maybe I will be wrong, but I think Diesel is going to die a death for passenger cars. Even if it doesn't, the internal combustion engine will be laughed at and unwanted within the next 15 years as long range, rapid charge electrics become ever more available with battery storage density increases. 

And who will be producing an electric vehicle that will tow my 1150kg caravan from here to Southern Brittany without a recharge?

Whilst I might agree that electric cars might have a place in the urban world I am very doubtful they will work elsewhere. At the moment no-one even produces and economical one that could cope with my old commute of 48 miles each way.

And how environmentally friendly are the power stations to be, as we are already heading towards a situation where power outages due to demand are being envisaged?

• Like 1

Have a look at what Tesla are doing, and the Model X just launched that can tow 5000lbs and has a range in excess of 250 miles with supercharging in 30 minutes, (whilst you toilet break!) and 4x4 performance to blow your mind...Maybe not mainstream affordable, but new tech never is, in 15 years, this will be minimum spec, affordable stuff.

As for your old commute, you're not keeping up, there are several affordable EV's that can do this right now, the Kia Soul to name but one, if you want a Yeti sized car ;) Hell, I could do that in my home built Favorit EV if I drove carefully lol!!

Have a look at what Tesla are doing, and the Model X just launched that can tow 5000lbs and has a range in excess of 250 miles with supercharging in 30 minutes, (whilst you toilet break!) and 4x4 performance to blow your mind...Maybe not mainstream affordable, but new tech never is, in 15 years, this will be minimum spec, affordable stuff.

As for your old commute, you're not keeping up, there are several affordable EV's that can do this right now, the Kia Soul to name but one, if you want a Yeti sized car ;) Hell, I could do that in my home built Favorit EV if I drove carefully lol!!

And how much is the Tesla? I somehow doubt in the price bracket I am looking at!

Problem with my commute is that there is nowhere for me to recharge at work! And I couldn't see Network Rail providing an external power socket just for my use. As said, might be fine in an urban setting, but not all of us live or work there.

I love diesel cars but they are beginning to be portraid as dirty polluters and manufacturers seem to be struggling to meat the NOX requirements which are being imposed on them. Electric cars have to be the future because it is a technology which works now it's just the price which is wrong but it is constantly dropping. As for the power stations being able to cope the amount of electricity used to make the fuel required to drive a car a mile is similar to the amount of electricity to drive an electric car a mile.

Spaldi01, 

As for the power stations being able to cope the amount of electricity used to make the fuel required to drive a car a mile is similar to the amount of electricity to drive an electric car a mile.

When I tell people this, they usually, at first, don't believe it! When you run them through the whole thing from drilling for oil, refining it and transport to the pump, they get it, and it just blows their minds when it finally clicks ;) It also, utterly blows the already invalid argument of "well it's just as polluting, you've just moved the emissions to the power station" out of the water!

Another silly question from moi!!

How do I know whether I have a Euro6 engine?  First registered May 2015. 

If it is a Euro6 engine, does that mean that it won't have a recall?

If I 'phone the dealer, will they know?

Don't really mind toooooo much, as I do like the car.  Just the job as I hope to tow a horse trailer and its extremely smart.  Not sure why the white and black is so smart, but it does rather stand out.  Stood next to my friend's shark blue, it doesn't even look the same car!!

Another silly question from moi!!

How do I know whether I have a Euro6 engine?  First registered May 2015. 

If it is a Euro6 engine, does that mean that it won't have a recall?

If I 'phone the dealer, will they know?

Don't really mind toooooo much, as I do like the car.  Just the job as I hope to tow a horse trailer and its extremely smart.  Not sure why the white and black is so smart, but it does rather stand out.  Stood next to my friend's shark blue, it doesn't even look the same car!!

You should be able to tell from your V5 registration document. Either that or look at the sticker in the boot by the spare wheel and service book if you have one. It will show a 4 letter code for the engine, the same should be shown in the V5 next to the engine number, you can then google it or tell us what it is on here and someone will tell you for sure what spec your engine is. The situation only affects cars with the Euro 5 engine which is part of the  EA 189 family, the later Euro 6 EA 288 family engines will not be affected. I would doubt your dealer will know for sure if yours is one of the engines, until head office sends through the details, though they will tell you if it is in the group.

Ian

• Like 1

Spaldi01, 

When I tell people this, they usually, at first, don't believe it! When you run them through the whole thing from drilling for oil, refining it and transport to the pump, they get it, and it just blows their minds when it finally clicks ;) It also, utterly blows the already invalid argument of "well it's just as polluting, you've just moved the emissions to the power station" out of the water!

But you also have to drill for the oil, refine it and transport it to the power station, or dig far into the ground to get to the coal to provide fuel for a power station, then there is the infrastructure to get the electricity from the power station to your socket, so it is swings and roundabouts so far as I can see. Maybe electricity will provide a short term solution but I think the only viable solution is alternative fuels like hydrogen.

Ian

• Like 1

I really don't know why so many people are trying to find out at this stage whether their engine is affected by this issue. Frankly, as far as I am concerned, as we have been informed it is not a safety problem and if it is affected will be recalled and sorted out, end of! I have been totally satisfied with my Yeti and remain so.

You should be able to tell from your V5 registration document. Either that or look at the sticker in the boot by the spare wheel and service book if you have none. It will show a 4 letter code for the engine, the same should be shown in the V5 next to the engine number, you can then google it or tell us what it is on here and someone will tell you for sure what spec your engine is. The situation only affects cars with the Euro 5 engine which is part of the  EA 189 family, the later Euro 6 EA 288 family engines will not be affected. I would doubt your dealer will know for sure if yours is one of the engines, until head office sends through the details, though they will tell you if it is in the group.

Ian

Thank you Ian. 

Engine No. CFJAO11077

Max permissible mass 2135

Mass in service 1565

What do you think?  Not hugely important, but always nice to know.  And nice to communicate on here with such helpful people. 

I really don't know why so many people are trying to find out at this stage whether their engine is affected by this issue. Frankly, as far as I am concerned, as we have been informed it is not a safety problem and if it is affected will be recalled and sorted out, end of! I have been totally satisfied with my Yeti and remain so.

VW have said they will not rush into finding a solution to their dubious book keeping. There is no safety issue as Fairyvan has said, the cars have no driveability issues and no performance issues. Well nothing that's changed by this news item. 

My real concern is that the 'fix' will deliver the certified emission results but the cars will suffer in terms of performance, driveabilty and potentially real world fuel economy. Clearly they will want the fix to be as cheap as possible so they will try to avoid part swapping and will be paying dealers peanuts to effect the changes. That will put financially pressure on dealers who will be looking to recover those lost margins through sales and servicing.

Personally I'm not rushing to get my EA189 2.0TDI 'fixed' in a hurry. As far as I'm concerned it's not broken.....to me it's just the same as the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion. Emission (Tax) is the same but one is legal and one is not.

I'm thinking of waiting....having the 'fix' and then getting my car remapped............. 

Edited by 33q
  • Like 1

Thank you Ian. 

Engine No. CFJAO11077

Max permissible mass 2135

Mass in service 1565

What do you think?  Not hugely important, but always nice to know.  And nice to communicate on here with such helpful people. 

So Twoladies, you have the 170 bhp engine in your Yeti, CFJA is the same engine code as mine and I'm sure mine is one of the potentially affected cars, it being built in 2011, registered in 2012. I'm not going to worry, there have been statements released from VW saying that they will let all the manufacturers using that engine know which cars are included in the campaign and then the information will be passed down the chain to dealers and then owners. Nothing will be done for a while but the only thing  that concerns me is the taxation class as I am already baulking at paying £180 a year for tax, though luckily I have just re-taxed my car. Taken from Wikipedia:-

2.0 TDI CR 125 kW 2010–2015 CFJA (EA189)) 1968 ccm, I4, 16V DOHC, common-rail, turbocharged 125 kW (170 PS; 168 hp) at 4200 rpm 350 Nm. (258 lb•ft) at 1750–2500 6-speed manual (MQ350) AWD 201 8.4 5.7 / 49.6 / 41.3 149 125

• Like 1

Hi twoladies,  do you have an 'Adblue' tank in your boot? 

If you do then you have a Euro6 engine.

I could be wrong thingy but I doubt twoladies will have an adblue tank in the boot as that has not long come in, it being introduced with the 150 bhp (110kW) engine that started production with the 2016 model year. Unless I am very much mistaken ( which has happened before) it is the older Euro 5 engine which potentially has the dodgy software which twoladies has in their car because, like I said in my earlier post, it has the code which matches what I have in my car (CFJA) and I know that is the Euro 5 engine.

Ian

Off topic but just checked against my vin and it's NOT on recall,feel a bit let down now.

Do you think that's not on there 'yet' or never will be? According to Wikipedia the engine in our L&K Yetis is an EA189...

Creepster,hope your enjoying your L&K looks good in white,regarding my last post it could be any of the above and more as some have reported entering the vin and being on/off the list one day and off/on the next so it looks like a wait and see situation,I was hoping/dreaming in a way that Skoda might have to come up with some fantastic offer to appease effected customers,but I think it's going to be some time before we all know what's happening.