Golf Edition 30 v Renaultsport Megane Cup

PastyBoy

Megane for me, I've always liked the look of these and to be honest, most VAG stuff bores me.  I know this probably isn't the best place to admit such a thing. :notme:  

From what I can gather the Megane is the car you buy if you really like driving and the Golf is the safer bet. 

• Like 1

The only stuff from over the channel I've had exposure to have been

a stop gap 1.4 Peugeot 309 when i was about 18 - which in fairness never missed a beat

a Clio 182 i took for a test drive before i bought my first Fabia VRS - it was noisy and seemed slow after TDI torque 

a colleague's 51 plate 1.4 Megane on which i've had to fudge a headlight bulb back into an almost completely melted holder and pull fuses to stop the windows winding down on their own

and a 57 plate Renaultsport Megane DCi i test drove before buying the Ibiza  - which had the loosest gear shift i have ever experienced (including the one I broke the linkage on in a Punto)

but something about them really sits right. 

I love the old version and the new ones get rave reviews but i dunno.

I can't help but think an Edition 30 would be a safer bet.

Or of course this'll all be for pie in the sky (like when i convinced myself i could afford to run an RS4) and i'll just stick with the Ibiza

Renault :p

well if you're still willing to recommend one....

the one in the picture in post 1 is actually only on the other side of Cheltenham from me so i might pop out for a closer look tomorrow

well if you're still willing to recommend one....

the one in the picture in post 1 is actually only on the other side of Cheltenham from me so i might pop out for a closer look tomorrow

If it's anything like my Clio, I actually really like it, it's cost me a couple of grand at least, it's great. It's just not something I'd recommend to a friend :P

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yeah i might have already ended up here via another thread on here earlier tonight.

it's not really the lack of grunt that annoys me with the Seat (although of course more is always welcome) but...

actually the Seat doesn't really annoy me it really is great (except the rattly headlining/light assembly which drives me mental) I just...

i dunno..

my feet are just itchy i guess

yeah i might have already ended up here via another thread on here earlier tonight.

it's not really the lack of grunt that annoys me with the Seat (although of course more is always welcome) but...

actually the Seat doesn't really annoy me it really is great (except the rattly headlining/light assembly which drives me mental) I just...

i dunno..

my feet are just itchy i guess

Just not got the smile factor for you?

Yeah i dunno i was hoping it'd grow on me a bit more.

it was bit limp as standard a bit soft edged and sensible.

The DTUK box has solved that to a degree but that as device is pretty crude (it surges under steady throttle ad is prettyspikey delivery wise) but a proper remap is too expensive.

I never feel its slow and it's a nice place to be and the cruise is great and the MPG is great but etc etc but meh

Renault for me. Same as skinny man says, VAG stuff is really boring me of late. That golf does nothing for me, nothing at all. I would walk past it and not even look twice at it, the Renault would turn my head. Plus it'd drive better, I think in reality there wouldnt be a huge gap in build quality either. The only thing that would swing it for me in the Golfs direction would be the resale value, the fan boys would keep the values solid, the Renault might lose a bit more. I've not looked at how much money either goes for but I cant imagine it's a huge issue at their age. 

• Like 2

Renault for me. Same as skinny man says, VAG stuff is really boring me of late. That golf does nothing for me, nothing at all. I would walk past it and not even look twice at it, the Renault would turn my head. Plus it'd drive better, I think in reality there wouldnt be a huge gap in build quality either. The only thing that would swing it for me in the Golfs direction would be the resale value, the fan boys would keep the values solid, the Renault might lose a bit more. I've not looked at how much money either goes for but I cant imagine it's a huge issue at their age. 

Bonelorry want's £9700 for his Edition 30 which is about the norm

it's a 57 plate with 63k but it's a pretty low spec car without xenons or cruise

where as the Megane in post 1 is up at an independant dealer for £11990 on a 10 plate with 38.000 miles with xenons etc

i dunno

either is a fair chunk of extra money when in all honesty it's only really going to sit in traffic on the daily commute drinking a larger quantity of more expensive fuel than the Ibiza.

1925vqd4u0vj8jpg.jpg

I'm quite impressed with the balanced posts on this topic.  I genuinely thought it'd be a landslide in favour of the Golf with it being the more sensible choice.  I got bored of sensible a while back so anything that brightens up the daily commute is a good thing in my eyes.  As Pasty Boy says, whatever he bought would spend most of its time sitting in traffic, on the drive or at work - so in a completely sane world it makes no sense.  However, working five/six days a week for 40 years, paying the mortgage & bills on time, being a good dad & husband, generally towing the line and adhering to the laws of the land on a daily basis is also to some a ridiculous way to spend the few years we have on this planet. 

If every aspect of life is sensible, economically sound and devoid of fun then what's the point?  If you can afford to run an ever so slightly more exciting car then go for it.  I'd rather do that than be sat in the old folks home, soaked in whatever bodily fluid I can't stop from escaping on that particular day and think, 'Do you know what?  I'm ever so glad I had a car that averaged 46mpg, cost little to tax and never made me smile.'  Nah.  I spend all my working life and 99.9% of my family life being so damned reasonable that it would really upset the 18 year old me.

Mind you, don't listen to a word I say as I bought a crappy repmobile that can't go round corners. :D  

• Like 2

The only stuff from over the channel I've had exposure to have been

a stop gap 1.4 Peugeot 309 when i was about 18 - which in fairness never missed a beat

a Clio 182 i took for a test drive before i bought my first Fabia VRS - it was noisy and seemed slow after TDI torque

a colleague's 51 plate 1.4 Megane on which i've had to fudge a headlight bulb back into an almost completely melted holder and pull fuses to stop the windows winding down on their own

and a 57 plate Renaultsport Megane DCi i test drove before buying the Ibiza - which had the loosest gear shift i have ever experienced (including the one I broke the linkage on in a Punto)

but something about them really sits right.

I love the old version and the new ones get rave reviews but i dunno.

I can't help but think an Edition 30 would be a safer bet.

Or of course this'll all be for pie in the sky (like when i convinced myself i could afford to run an RS4) and i'll just stick with the Ibiza

Were you opening the Clio up down some back roads? I find they're pretty crap otherwise, road noise in mine annoyed me, insulated rear end and so much quieter.

Depends on what you want to use it for:

Track days - Megane

Everything else - Golf

It's that simple really.