Emissions Scandal fabia Greenline

If I understand the problem correctly, then fixing it would mean making the engine burn fuel at a lower temperature. This avoids creating some of the NOx. BUT with an existing engine (as opposed to a new design) this means reducing the power output and according to Dr Diesel (him who invented the diesel engine) this also means reducing both power and efficiency. This would increase fuel consumption and CO2. Not nice.

I got the dreaded letter yesterday. I am tempted to wait and see how the 'improvements' actually impact the car's performance. I hope to see reports from 'fixed' owners here before going ahead with my car.

If the fixing is done on a limited time basis (bring your car next week, or else). I would then be tempted to get it done then get the ECU re-mapped or fit a piggyback ECU which I can remove at MOT time. Not what I expected but I am learning to cope with disappointments with the car.

so question is,

IF they switch to a lower power / emission mode for testing / certification does this mean

• real world emmissions may not be affected?
  • VW will suddenly have a fall in "official" mpg figures so they suddenly become achievable in the real world
or will vw have to alter the normal driving map as well leading to

• lower mpg
  • less power
  • lots of court cases

I do wonder about the EU6 vehicles with ad blue, as when you look at the size of the ad blue tank on a lorry compared to the fuel tank, but on a car it is only a few litres and not topped up except I believe major services

that could possibly indicate it is not using the ad blue as often as it should?

Yes but lorrys/buses have big engines so use more to control emissions, our 9liter straight 6cylinder buses, only have a 15liter ad blue tank and can go a month without being topped up and doing 140 odd miles a day, so a 2.0diesel in a car should last ages

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found out today that my 2012 Greenline II is also affected. Although I'm generally quite happy with the car itself, the fuel consumption has been consistently disappointing - worse in fact than the last 3 similar diesel-engined cars I have owned and driven in a similar way.

It is unlikely Skoda will compensate us for:

• Extra fuel costs over life of vehicle
  • Performance/fuel consumption lost by the the fix
  • Decreased resale value as a result of this scandal
  • The premium I paid for a "Greenline" vehicle as a direct result of being lied to
  • Not to mention the extra deaths/years of lost productivity caused by all these vehicles pumping out extra tonnes of NOx

So I would like Skoda to buy our cars back from us at the original cost price.

What are the chances of that happening?

Still a good opening stance for a class action.  :devil:

I thought VW were making out they would do all those things in the Home Market were everyone loves them, 

surely Skoda owners would accept no less.

Only today the UK Transport Minister spoke about 'Making VW consider compensating for losses etc....'

Time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, maybe not at original cost price, but according to the Spiegel International

Legal experts say that the owners of the 800,000 vehicles with manipulated fuel efficiency values could now demand a conversion. In other words, they would be within their rights to return their vehicles and demand the reimbursement of the purchase price, minus a use fee for the period of ownership.

Well, maybe not at original cost price, but according to the Spiegel International

Legal experts say that the owners of the 800,000 vehicles with manipulated fuel efficiency values could now demand a conversion. In other words, they would be within their rights to return their vehicles and demand the reimbursement of the purchase price, minus a use fee for the period of ownership.

Except the issue is not about manipulated fuel efficiency it is about manipulated NOx emissions...

Except the issue is not about manipulated fuel efficiency it is about manipulated NOx emissions...

Except that the referenced Spiegel Online article also relates to petrol engined cars, MPG and CO2 figures - why not read it before commenting?

• 5 weeks later...

Got our letters today.

Will be interesting to see what VW has to say with regard to MPG - the German Govt. having given them until the end of this month to produe the figures.

So on the basis of personal experience - the VW Polo 1.4 TDI averaging 70mpg on the same journey, with the same driver, that the Fabia GLII only manages 60mpg - it looks like the Eco-Friendly and fuel-efficient Fabia, for which I paid a premium over the basic model, will prove to be neither Eco-Friendly with regard to CO2 and NO2 emissions and will be far from the fuel-efficient mpg it was sold to me as being capable of.

Already signed up, along with +150 others, with a firm of solicitors for class-action. A move prompted it must be said by the prompt greasing of American palms by VW, with sod-all on offer here...

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/nov/09/volkswagen-gift-cards-vw-emissions-scandal

• 1 year later...

Had my letter a couple of weeks ago, end of June. The fix is ready for mine (GL2) and I've got a list of my nearest Skoda retailers to take it to.

Anyone had the fix applied and or knows what it consists of? Plenty of info online regarding the 2.0 and 1.6 engines but little about the 1.2.

It consists of new Engine Management Software on your ECU.

Why risk it if your car runs OK since the VW Group will not put your car back as it is now if there is poorer economy or efficiency of your engine post fix?

There are 1.2 TDI's from VW that have been done if you read 'Honest John' forum posts or others online.

Edited by Awayoffski

Seeing as this is such an old post to start with, I assume many vehicles have been "Rectified", (Hopefully not wreaked). So what is or was, the outcome? Is fuel efficiency better, worse or too close to compare? Also, the emissions... Clean as filtered snow or dirtier then an Essex girl? Then, the real seller, Does the car now pull as well/go as fast or is it a snail, in tortoises clothing?

What makes you assume that many 1.2's have had 'the fix', there does not seem to be many members of Briskoda with a Skoda, VW, Seat or Audi 1.2 euro 5 diesel that have said if or if they have not, and i posted a thread in General Car Chat asking anyone if they had.

Silence on that one about 1.2's.

Hi,

My wife has the 1.2 greenline 2, and signed the consent form not realising what it was for (Recall Engine Controller)

Now let's be honest, the car was always a bit gutless, but now it's got asthma too.

We tried getting it looked at by Skoda, but as it's "working fine"... I.e. the remapped engine is meant to be slower, then they don't want to know.

I'd avoid at all costs.

• 3 weeks later...