Buyers Guide

Hello All, 

I am currently looking to purchase a Mkll Superb Estate 2.0tdi either 140bhp or 170bhp but not 100% sure on the engine size yet. 

Which Engine do you fellow Superb owners recommend when it comes to MPG, motorway driving etc.... 

Also, any advice on what to look out for when going to view any cars? 

Thanks in advance 

Josh

I found the 140 too lazy so chipped it to approx 170 ish.  I wish I had the 170 and chipped that as during overtake maneuvers, the chipped 140 gets a bit sluggish after you get over about 140km/hr.  Unfortunately they didn't offer the 170 with haldex and DSG in my area.

I get mid-high 5 l/100km on flat motorways (110km/hr) and mid-high 6's in urban driving.  Remember though mine is the haldex 4wd so there is a weight and friction penalty from this.  Now at 55,000km so the engine can be considered to be run in.

All of the above is from the display in the dash cluster which can tend to be a bit optimistic at times (apparently) so you may take off a few % if you wish.

For those of you not on the French system:

- 5.5 l/100km = approx 55MPG (Imperial Gallon)

- 6.5 l/100km = approx 45MPG (Imperial Gallon)

- 140km/hr = approx 87MPH

- 55,000km = 34,000 miles

Mpg won't vary very much between the two engines. The only time you will notice the difference between 140 and 170 is during overtaking manoeuvres. Buying secondhand I'd imagine the difference in values between both engines to be minimal so the 170 would be the Best Buy IMO.

Depending on how old a model you are buying, remember that the 140 came in older PD guise up to around 2010 and then in common rail after that. The 170 was always common rail since 2008. CR obviously being the more refined engine with a more progressive power distribution and the one I would recommend although others may have something to say in terms of remapping a PD versus a CR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello All, 

I am currently looking to purchase a Mkll Superb Estate 2.0tdi either 140bhp or 170bhp but not 100% sure on the engine size yet. 

Which Engine do you fellow Superb owners recommend when it comes to MPG, motorway driving etc.... 

Also, any advice on what to look out for when going to view any cars? 

Thanks in advance 

Josh

Josh

I had a 170bhp for 6 years, great car, love every minute of it the pulling power was good and a quiet engine. 

I did a trip to Venice and most of Europe over the years and it never missed a beat. Just make sure that you can get the ERG valve cleaned before you buy and the the Cam-belt has been changed in line with Skoda recommendations.

if you can help it dont use the cheaper fuel. and everything 3 or 4 fill ups I used a premium fuel, based on advice from a Neoman (they were the leaders) engineer and a BP worker.

• Like 1

Josh

I had a 170bhp for 6 years, great car, love every minute of it the pulling power was good and a quiet engine. 

I did a trip to Venice and most of Europe over the years and it never missed a beat. Just make sure that you can get the ERG valve cleaned before you buy and the the Cam-belt has been changed in line with Skoda recommendations.

if you can help it dont use the cheaper fuel. and everything 3 or 4 fill ups I used a premium fuel, based on advice from a Neoman (they were the leaders) engineer and a BP worker.

Thanks for the advice,

I'm looking at a 2011 (61) Reg on Saturday, its the 170bhp Elegance with 66000 miles, 

Do you know what Skoda recommend for changing the Cambelt?  

Josh

Edited by Joshua123

T

Do you know what Skoda recommend for changing the Cambelt?  

Josh

140,000 miles / 5 years, whichever is the earlier

140,000 miles / 5 years, whichever is the earlier

it was is 4 years in my handbook. The car was a 2009, 1.9ltr CR 170bhp elegance. I got it changed at 4 1/2 years. I got the water pump changed at the same time.

Josh take the car for a run and floor it. you will soon tell it the EGR is ok. the CR engine is a great engine

I queried this with SUK as there seemed to be various versions floating about depending on which dealer you talked to, which handbook version you had and which country you were based in.

My car is a 2.0l CR 170, and according to an e-mail received from SUK as follows, it is 140,000 / 5miles.

(Did VAG ever make a 1.9l CR engine - I thought all of the 1.9l were PD not CR?)

Subject:    SD-2014/10-012003

Dear Mr XXXX,

Thank you for your email dated 27 October 2014 regarding the cam belt on your ŠKODA Superb.

I can confirm that I have checked with our Technical Department and they have informed me that the recommendation for changing
the cam belt on your vehicle is at 140,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.

I trust this information has been of help to you, however, should you require any further assistance then please feel free to
contact me on the telephone number listed below.

Thank you once again for contacting ŠKODA UK Customer Services.

Kind regards

John Good, Customer Relations Manager
ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA
Tel: +44 (0)333 0037504 | fax: +44 (0)844 8267855

I'd definitely go for the 170 if you possibly can, Josh. When we were looking for a Superb, we test drove both the 140 and 170 and the mid-range torque on the 170 is so much better. Apparently, so is the fuel consumption, I guess because the engine is slightly more relaxed. 

I used to have a 2.0D Volvo V50 which had 136bhp and was good fun. Now have a Superb with the 170bhp and DSG box and love it. Just love the "growl" when you floor it. Get the 170, you will love it.

Thanks for the replies,

I think i am edging towards the 170 BHP. with the DSG. 

Having had a look online I've found a garage called TVS cars in Bridgnorth, they seem to have a good selection of Superb Estates. 

Has anybody experienced this garage? 

Thanks

Josh

Be careful with the DSG box, from other owners of Audi, Skoda and Seat it seams to be a great box to drive with, but there are 2 models. a 6 speed and a 7 speed. One has a dry clutch and one a a wet clutch, I cant mind which had which. Anyway there was early issues with 1 of them, which would be around 2008 / 09, so you should do a search on here to find out which one. 

Josh

Be careful with the DSG box, from other owners of Audi, Skoda and Seat it seams to be a great box to drive with, but there are 2 models. a 6 speed and a 7 speed. One has a dry clutch and one a a wet clutch, I cant mind which had which. Anyway there was early issues with 1 of them, which would be around 2008 / 09, so you should do a search on here to find out which one. 

Thanks, 

I'm looking at a 2010/2011 models. i prefer the DSG box to any manual, ive previously owned a SEAT Ibiza Bocanegra and a VRS 1.4tsi and loved the DSG. hopefully after a good test drive at the weekend ill be the new owner of a Superb :) 

The diesels put out too much torque for the 7 speed DSG (Dry clutch), they're all on the 6 speed wet clutch box. DSGs aren't particularly unreliable, the reason people worry about them is that when they do go it's usually heading for £2000 to repair them even though only a small percentage of them have issues.

Take it for a long test drive (Watch for misbehaviour while it's cold particularly - if the engine has already been warmed before you sit in get suspicious) and put the car in every gear watching for hesitation or snatchy shifting, let it roll forward at idle and try pulling away slowly and quickly. It should take it all in its stride, if not, especially if there is a lot of vibration or jerkiness, don't bother with it. Check service history too - if anything goes wrong later a full dealer service history will often help.

The diesels put out too much torque for the 7 speed DSG (Dry clutch), they're all on the 6 speed wet clutch box. DSGs aren't particularly unreliable, the reason people worry about them is that when they do go it's usually heading for £2000 to repair them even though only a small percentage of them have issues.

Take it for a long test drive (Watch for misbehaviour while it's cold particularly - if the engine has already been warmed before you sit in get suspicious) and put the car in every gear watching for hesitation or snatchy shifting, let it roll forward at idle and try pulling away slowly and quickly. It should take it all in its stride, if not, especially if there is a lot of vibration or jerkiness, don't bother with it. Check service history too - if anything goes wrong later a full dealer service history will often help.

Thanks for the advice, as the garage is only 2 minutes away from me i'm not going to ring them before, and just turn up then the engine will be cold. i have had experience with DSG boxes before so have a good understanding of them. Are the Superbs 'Loud' when at idle?

The car has main dealer service history from new and 1 owner. I have been in touch with the Skoda Dealer and they have conformed that the Cam belt and water pump have been changed last year. car is currently at around 88000 miles. with no advisories on previous MOT's

Josh

Sounds like it's a successful test drive away from being bought :).

My CR170 certainly isn't loud at idle. It's quieter than a lot of common rail diesels from other manufacturers both outside and especially inside. If you want to keep things quiet have a good look at the noise ratings of any tyres you get for it. Unless you're pushing it on tyres are the only thing you can hear above 40 ish MPH. I have the manual gearbox though - not that it should make a difference to the engine sound.

Sorry for the late post. Be aware that the Superb has many many options available and you should check which ones you need and would like in the car. I got caught out by test driving 2 cars which I thought were the same (both 2010 Elegance combis). Although both had the Bolero stereo only one had bluetooth audio streaming. Not a big deal as we can still plug in an iPod/iPhone but it would be an expensive thing to change if you 'needed' it. I wish we had the panoramic roof too. Good luck

Buying the elegance spec gets you most of the toys automatically, L&K gets pretty much everything, but the only way to be sure you're comparing like with like is to check the car build codes on the sticker by the spare wheel well. Elegance spec in the UK is slightly different to Irish elegance spec too, considering they're the only EU based right hand drive market, you'd think they'd be the same. Spec also varies from year to year in some cases. The panoramic roof is gorgeous, though rear seat passengers get to appreciate it more than those in the front. It's the only extra above the elegance spec on my car.

FWIW, my current company car, a 1.6 CR Greenline SE Combi has just passed the 140,000 mile mark (4 years old last month) and apart from a coolant leak which resulted in a. New water pump, tensioner and timing belt, has been completely reliable.

My only regret is not taking the plunge and remapping the engine; the extra 40bhp would have been most welcome.

That said, an average 64.20mpg from new is not to be sniffed at!

Just an update for you all.... After lots of searching and few test drives i have finally bought a Superb estate! So far i love it, comfort and drive is great! I will upload some pictures when we've got some nicer weather!

I have got a few little things that id like to do to the car after christmas which I've no doubt ill be asking you guys fir some help!

Thanks to all those who have replied on this thread, your help has been great!

Josh

• Like 1

Just an update for you all.... After lots of searching and few test drives i have finally bought a Superb estate! So far i love it, comfort and drive is great! I will upload some pictures when we've got some nicer weather!

I have got a few little things that id like to do to the car after christmas which I've no doubt ill be asking you guys fir some help!

Thanks to all those who have replied on this thread, your help has been great!

Josh

Well done Josh. What model/engine size etc.?

Well done Josh. What model/engine size etc.?

Its a 2012 SE 170 DSG with a few extras. Sat Nav, automatic boot release, park assist and half leather, I'm assuming that these are extras on this spec. Only done 49000. Miles full main dealer history very happy with it up to now!