Real World MPG figures

Could not wait to get home to post this. My old car was 140 DSG 4x4 hatch bought in 2011 covered 120,000 miles at average of 52mpg. The first 100 hours travel time recorded less than 49 mpg and the last 100 hours drive time using the maxi dot recorded 54mpg.

Then for my daily commute a good day would record 60mpg 40 miles with 90% on m25/m26

My new car received yesterday a 150 DSG hatch and I drove it to work today.

After all the postings here I was really expecting the worse. So here goes

Journey to work , I left a bit late this morning and was stuck in quite a 20 minute delay so journey time 1:20. Recorded mpg per maxi dot 57.8 . Return journey traffic a little lighter but still a hold up for a broken down Lorry. Recorded 60.2 mpg

Very happy with these numbers in fact quite unbelievable as the car has down done only 160 miles.

Sorry I just wonder how other folks drive their cars, but it is very early days and is looking good so far.

• Like 3

May I suggest a smaller engine if they are available for a test drive. I know the 1.8 TSI that we have hear in Sweden is not available in the UK but testing if available a small engine won´t hurt. Who knows you might just be in for a pleasant surprise judging from some of the comments made by those having purchased more economical engines for their S3 here on Briskoda.

As you state, the 1.8 TSi isn't available here, & the 1.4 TSi is just too small an engine for us.

I'm really looking for more power than my remapped current Superb 2, (251 ps power / 361 nm torque) but with reasonable

(30 mpg) economy.

From what I've experienced & read on on this forum, 25 mpg seems to be what I could expect.

If felt that 25 mpg was an acceptable fuel consumption figure, I'd give up on Skoda look for a 6 cylinder petrol engine.

DC

As you state, the 1.8 TSi isn't available here, & the 1.4 TSi is just too small an engine for us.

I'm really looking for more power than my remapped current Superb 2, (251 ps power / 361 nm torque) but with reasonable

(30 mpg) economy.

Are you after petrol or diesel?

The 190 TDi (400 Nm) maps to 220 bhp 505 Nm!... you really need 4x4 to make full use of it though.

My Peugeot 2008 1.6 e-HDI manual (MY2015) shows 3.7L/100km average for its 7500km life so far and at ~ 45p/L is rediculously economical.

The better half's 308 1.2 6A is averaging 5.0L/100km.

Are you after petrol or diesel?

The 190 TDi (400 Nm) maps to 220 bhp 505 Nm!... you really need 4x4 to make full use of it though.

Petrol for us, low annual mileage + we prefer the wider torque & power bands that we get 

from our 2.0 TSi's.

FWIW, I've driven two 190 DSG Superb 3's, 2WD & 4WD, but they both seemed sluggish.

Maybe I needed to push the pedal to the floor to make progress?

We've also driven a 150 diesel DSG & that felt much better, still not quick, but quite

capable. 

Strange but true..............

DC

Petrol for us, low annual mileage + we prefer the wider torque & power bands that we get 

from our 2.0 TSi's.

FWIW, I've driven two 190 DSG Superb 3's, 2WD & 4WD, but they both seemed sluggish.

Maybe I needed to push the pedal to the floor to make progress?

We've also driven a 150 diesel DSG & that felt much better, still not quick, but quite

capable. 

Strange but true..............

DC

You're not alone it seems, as I've read a few reviews where this 190 v 150 difference was mentioned also. I only test drove the 150 DSG and found it rather flat, but to be fair the only comparison I had was the 2.0 TSI (which we ordered).

I agree, obviously though once mapped (with over a 25% increase in torque)  it’s a different ball game completely! 

I get the impression that the emission test dictates throttle sensitivity.

Our cars used to have the 'launch factor' .....to give you the (false) impression that it was more powerful than advertised....and to help with the traffic light GPs (and Swindon roundabout races I seem to recall) of course.

I remember how dull, in comparison, Mercs felt with their much more progressive go pedal.

I drove a 190 4x4 for a few months and now have a 280.

Yes, the 190’s performance does not feel like the rated power; it’s rather dull. And of course, the 280 is much more sprightly, but doesn't feel spectacularly fast to me either ... now that I've done the miles to explore max revs.

However, it’s perhaps worth bearing in mind that these big barges desensitise; they give you very little feel for what's going on. In a way, I suppose, that's the whole point: they cocoon. Furthermore, and to paraphrase what I think Niki Lauda said once upon a time, nothing is 'fast' until things start to go sideways; i.e. when an 'incident’ comes at you at awful hurry or when, say, you get the dreaded rear tyre blow-out at speed and have to cope with the consequent massive oversteer. Before that driving ability is mostly imagined; then you find out. There are plenty of straight-line heroes in powerful cars driving very aggressively on the autobahn in Germany. To some extent I believe they drive that way because they don't feel anything in their cocoons.

I digress…

My experience of the average fuel mileage of the above 2 cars is about the same as the figures old newbie2 gives. Perhaps the 4x4 system does account for rather a lot of extra fuel consumption.

Would I give it up and go back to 2wd? No way, ever. All that wheel-spin gone and proper traction = bliss. And even though I do 20-25k miles per year, I'd rather have the 280 engine, too (until the fuel price doubles, obviously).

• Like 1

Have 190tdi on order what's it like in sports mode is it that bad do you have to keep going down the great box I had mark 140 this think it was could not get into top gear until late it was doing 50 mile an hour was hard work had only 20000 mile on clock when I bought it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Regularly getting 60mpg (maxidot) from my 150 tdi. I don't hang around either with the ACC usually set between 75-85mph depending on the road.

I think 65 would be easily attainable

Agreed. The same here. 60 mpg easy. Have the same engine.

I drove a 190 4x4 for a few months and now have a 280.

Yes, the 190’s performance does not feel like the rated power; it’s rather dull. And of course, the 280 is much more sprightly, but doesn't feel spectacularly fast to me either ... now that I've done the miles to explore max revs.

However, it’s perhaps worth bearing in mind that these big barges desensitise; they give you very little feel for what's going on. In a way, I suppose, that's the whole point: they cocoon. Furthermore, and to paraphrase what I think Niki Lauda said once upon a time, nothing is 'fast' until things start to go sideways; i.e. when an 'incident’ comes at you at awful hurry or when, say, you get the dreaded rear tyre blow-out at speed and have to cope with the consequent massive oversteer. Before that driving ability is mostly imagined; then you find out. There are plenty of straight-line heroes in powerful cars driving very aggressively on the autobahn in Germany. To some extent I believe they drive that way because they don't feel anything in their cocoons.

I digress…

My experience of the average fuel mileage of the above 2 cars is about the same as the figures old newbie2 gives. Perhaps the 4x4 system does account for rather a lot of extra fuel consumption.

Would I give it up and go back to 2wd? No way, ever. All that wheel-spin gone and proper traction = bliss. And even though I do 20-25k miles per year, I'd rather have the 280 engine, too (until the fuel price doubles, obviously).

Very interesting points, thanks.

Maybe it is the "barge" problem,  we've driven other 4wd VW's with s similar powertrain, & there was a feeling of a performance car, especially 

when "departing rapidly".

My current Superb feels like a long-wheelbase Octavia, perhaps 'cos it's not too wide, with some isolation from the real world, but not "cocooned" 

either. 

To be fair, every time I've driven a Superb 3, it's as if I'm driving a slightly larger Octy 3 (not too surprising) with better trim & insulation, but not too isolated from  the real world..

@Tis a good thing too, IMVHO.

DC 

Have 190tdi on order what's it like in sports mode is it that bad do you have to keep going down the great box I had mark 140 this think it was could not get into top gear until late it was doing 50 mile an hour was hard work had only 20000 mile on clock when I bought it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I guess it's all relative. Depends on what you have driven and are driving. I have a 190 DSG and find it pretty rapid. I owned a 140 S2 manual prior to the S3 so for me it's a pretty quick motor. It doesn't climb lamp posts, but it's more than adequate.

I've just got through my first proper full tank of diesel.The car has now done around 1200 miles. I did a brim-to-brim calculation and it came out at 48.4 mpg. That tank of fuel consisted of some London traffic but mostly moderately gentle motorway cruising in Eco mode. There was also the odd bout of driving in Sport mode as well. 

• Like 1

Our cars indicate fabulous economy approaching the driveway but reality tends to strike home the next time out.

Fill to fill is the only test of economy over time.

Now done 3500 miles with a 150 DSG estate. Most mileage is done on country roads. Long term average for the 3500 miles is now down to 48.5 a/c maxidot. That is 81% of the claimed combined figure and 94% of the urban figure. So given that poodling around the lanes is often full of stop starts and slow speed like town driving ( except it's reversing for single lane areas and slow tractors rather than traffic lights and queues ;) ) No point in using ACC/lane assist etc for 95% of the time.

So,  I am pretty happy with the result so far. I know the maxidot has an error variability but it is near enough for me on this sort of check especially over a longer period of time.

However, I have now started to use the eco driving mode during the day. (It switches off the light assist etc so I wont use it at night). Early signs are promising on this tank full. I am currently at 56.8 for 275 miles travelled and that is with speeds of about 40-60 on the A road sections and 20-30 down the smaller lanes. I have now learnt how to use the throttle and brake to maximise the coasting function and it really seems to make a difference with my style of driving and the local road systems.

• Like 1

Let natural engine braking be your friend rather than the brakes......traffic permitting of course because few anticipate it seems to me......."I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date" generally applies .

Err. I was talking about the coasting function in the S3. If you touch the brake it re-engages a gear. Just touch the throttle, no need to depress it really, and the coasting function is restarted. It is sort of counter intuitive but it makes the system work to advantage.

^^^^ hmmm

I'm not sure if there is enough to be saved by coasting mode .....I'm thinking it's more to do with advertised emission claims.....just feathering will achieve idle consumption rate which is what coasting gives.......more complexity

It does give salespersons another talking point though.