Real World MPG figures

Very true. I made the assumption that brimmed also meant it was done from nearly empty. It's about the only way those numbers make sense - if it was done with quite a bit left in the tank. I was surprised as when I was test driving the car (I'm buying the ex demo from my dealer - collecting on the 27th) as it was getting similar mileage figures to my 150 Octavia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely you buy the car, fill it to the brim, ignore the qty but record the mileage shown on the odometer.

Do some driving, then refill / brim the tank, note mileage & calculate fuel consumption.

Repeat above, keeping written records until you sell the car.

To obtain a long term average figure, don't average the individual tank to tank figures, just divide the total mileage from the very 1st fill-up by the total fuel used.

Simples, & there's probably an app or computer program to take the grunt out of the calculations.

As for me, I have a couple of multi-car note-books with a lot of data, which I have found quite useful, dating back to the dark ages before smart-phones & "devices"......

• Like 1

Surely you buy the car, fill it to the brim, ignore the qty but record the mileage shown on the odometer.

Do some driving, then refill / brim the tank, note mileage & calculate fuel consumption.

Repeat above, keeping written records until you sell the car.

To obtain a long term average figure, don't average the individual tank to tank figures, just divide the total mileage from the very 1st fill-up by the total fuel used.

Simples, & there's probably an app or computer program to take the grunt out of the calculations.

As for me, I have a couple of multi-car note-books with a lot of data, which I have found quite useful, dating back to the dark ages before smart-phones & "devices"......

Fuelly is what you're looking for. Used it with my Octy. Fantastic :-)

• Like 1

On my previous post I did make a mistake with some figures I have since made up a spreadsheet from my fuel receipts and below is the result.

FUEL READINGS SKODA SUPERB III Hatchback L & K 190PS CR DSG WK65                                                               DATE STATION FUEL TYPE COST LTR. GALLONS TRIP MILES SPEEDO AVG. M.P.G. COMPUTER AVG. MPG COMPUTER DIFF OBC AVG. SPEED PENCE PER LITRE PENCE PER GALLON PENCE PER MILE MPG ERROR 5 Oct 2015 Victoria Ultimate £19.98 16.53 3.64 10.1 10.1                 12 Oct 2015 Victoria Ultimate £27.40 22.48 4.94 245.9 256 49.73       121.9 554.1 11.1 0.00% 23 Oct 2015 Victoria Ultimate £40.28 33.04 7.27 349 605 48.02 49.8 1.78 39 121.9 554.2 11.5 3.71%

This should clear up the matter. 

After a run to Shap in Cumbria in the next week or two should give better figures, I only got the above  sort of figures with my Superb Estate MKII L&K 170PS DSG on runs to Scotland.

FUEL READINGS SKODA SUPERB III Hatchback L & K 190PS CR DSG WK65                                                               DATE STATION FUEL TYPE COST LTR. GALLONS TRIP MILES SPEEDO AVG. M.P.G. COMPUTER AVG. MPG COMPUTER DIFF OBC AVG. SPEED PENCE PER LITRE PENCE PER GALLON PENCE PER MILE MPG ERROR 5 Oct 2015 Victoria Ultimate £19.98 16.53 3.64 10.1 10.1                 12 Oct 2015 Victoria Ultimate £27.40 22.48 4.94 245.9 256 49.73       121.9 554.1 11.1 0.00% 23 Oct 2015 Victoria Ultimate £40.28 33.04 7.27 349 605 48.02 49.8 1.78 39 121.9 554.2 11.5 3.71%

This should clear up the matter. 

Really??   :o

• Like 4

Still at 59mpg with an average speed now of 37mph.

For reference, my previous car was a BMW 1 series 1.6d efficient dynamics that average 62.0mpg with an average speed of 41 mph

Far more efficient at 70-80 mph than the 1 series..

One week and 300 miles since collection and I've only managed 47mpg so far, according to the trip computer, despite being very careful with my right foot. Hoping this will improve sooner rather than later.

190 DSG 4x4 Combi: 1000 miles in on mine now. Average is only 41.7. My 10 year old 3-litre BMW E46 does better and that's heavier too! It had better start improving as so far it is way off what I expect - even after treating 'official' figures with a large dose of scepticism.

Now it has passed the 1,000 mile mark I think I will start using the paddle shift more, or even use manual control to keep the revs up a bit. The car constantly seems to want to select gears and sit at 1100 rpm. Too low IMHO and needs a bit too much right foot to get it to make progress.

• 4 weeks later...

Mixed country roads and dual carriageway.

My 190 DSG (2WD) isn’t much better mind, getting around 44 according to the maxidot, tonight was the best so far @ 49 MPG, but considering they are ‘meant’ to be capable of mid 60’s I am not overly impressed.

This is motorway / dual carriageway for 30 miles and 8 miles of country roads, sticking to the speed limits and the roads are usually pretty quiet when I use them.

Interesting, my MKII (170 Combi) was pretty static from the day I collected it to when I sold it with 35K miles on it.

I don’t expect to get the official figures straight away (I am always pretty close to them) but 20 mpg down is quite something.

My 190 DSG (2WD) isn’t much better mind, getting around 44 according to the maxidot, tonight was the best so far @ 49 MPG, but considering they are ‘meant’ to be capable of mid 60’s I am not overly impressed.

This is motorway / dual carriageway for 30 miles and 8 miles of country roads, sticking to the speed limits and the roads are usually pretty quiet when I use them.

Glad it's not just me. I was coming from the 150 on my octavia and, based on the estimated vs actual consumption I got on that car, I was expecting much better than I'm getting in the 190. Struggling to get anything above 42-45 on anything other than a really good run. I'm hoping t loosens up but it seems like this car holds onto lower gears longer and I'm having to work harder to keep it going.

Just turned 1200 miles in 2 weeks and returning high 50's on average, best was 65 mpg on a 54 mile run. Mostly motorway or A roads (but includes major roadworks and QE2 bridge on  daily basis)

Just turned 1200 miles in 2 weeks and returning high 50's on average, best was 65 mpg on a 54 mile run. Mostly motorway or A roads (but includes major roadworks and QE2 bridge on daily basis)

Which engine so you have?

Manual..  estate version running normal Esso fuel...   Might try the v-power (or equivalent) stuff to see if there is a difference. I think in the 1200 miles so far the DPF has regen'd twice (noticed the fuel consumption drop and higher idle RPM)

• 2 weeks later...
It is not in "MPG" but in liters per 100 km. If someone can calculate how much is it in MPG, please?

It is Superb 3, 150 DSG.

20151219 110904 2

20151219 110855 2

20151219 110830 2

Edited by Human1