Breaking VW Emissions Scandal -Mk I

Ryeman

Actually i read they 'will cover the relevant cost of the repairs' 

Let us see what relevant costs are. Relevant cost of the disruption to an Owners day or part of.

?

How much does a VW Board Member charge for 2 hours of their time to attend a meeting?

Maybe the Volkswagen Group should look at doing a 'Fix' and paying for a complimentary Major Service, 

while a vehicle is in being repaired by a Qualified Technician.

That would be a Minimum 2 Hours on the Simplest Fix.

EDIT.

"Volkswagen will cover the cost relating directly to the repair." 

Is the words written in the letter.

My dealer is 70 miles away ! So 140 miles at 40p per mile and my time at least

80 miles for mine, and it is now 45p/mile, plus 2 hours each way.

And I expect SWMBO will want to go shopping in Swansea! Do you think I can charge for that as well?

• Like 1

I was reading Wales Online Scaremongering or 'Speculating' on Polluting Diesels being banned in Wales., or Cardiff, Swansea or where ever.

Pre 2015 Diesels banned by 2020.

Never going to happen!!!    Or will it.?

Not a worry to those that might have had the car stolen by then due to the Key Hack that Wales Online had an article on 2 days ago.

It must be reaching the point now where the weight of all the extra equipment needed to render the exhaust gases compliant with current emission standards is having an impact on M.P.G - probably at least equivalent to carrying a small child around all the time !

Presumably, somebody like Green Peace will already have submitted the FOI requests to HMG to establish what the Cost/Benefit Ratio is.

I'm a bit confused. Have VAG actually admitted that the cars identified in its list are legally non-compliant with European Emission standards ?

If they have, then presumably the Type Approval for each vehicle identified is substantially  invalid from date of publication.   Or does there have to be a DOT deeming statement ?  And if  the TA's are rendered invalid by either VAGs public admission or a DOT statement, then  re-certification will have to be done on an individual vehicle or group basis before they can again be driven on the UK roads - especially if they are newly fitted with all that SCR polava.

Will insurance be invalidated and can you be pulled-over by the Rozzers whilst the TA is invalid ?

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

If the code really was inactive in EU cars, and VW knew they could prove this, they wouldn't have had to 'fess-up' to the cars being affected, would they?

V A G must be worried , very worried or why would they confess  re the number of  vehicles in Europe  being affected. And for someone to say what happens in America has no bearing  to Europe I think  cannot realise lawyers in  the UK are already  weighing up  the situation and waiting to pounce on behalf of " signed  up " clients and I don't think those lawyers will ignore what happens in America. I can see this busting V A G who already admit there will be no profits this year and the cost of recalls etc will go on for 2 years possibly, and next years's  profits  could well be wiped out by that years's  recalls  but out of reduced gross profits  because already corporate customers are backing off from V A G products. From Autocar :-     http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/industry/why-vw-group-might-need-be-broken-survive

Praise be the Lord that it is only the Volkswagen Group that did this and all other manufacturers' (e.g. BMW, Ford, Citroen, Mercedes, Hyundai, Mercedes, Honda, Renault, Nissan, Fiat, Volvo, etc., etc., etc.) diesel engined vehicles produce absolutely no NOx at all - No Siree :no:

Incidentally, didn't the Boy George announce yet more diesel subsidies in this year's Budget? I wonder what will become of that unfortunate initiative?

Edited by vxh26

'The Car Report'

Reports

California has given VW 'till 20 Nov for THEIR declared fix

More than 300K have my non SCR diesel apparently

And

I know the U.S. is not the same as EU OR AU.

Yeti's tow caravans, go offroad, return wonderful economy,

never rust or have faults except when they rust and have faults.

They top Reliability Polls, and Customer Satisfaction polls, or they used to because those that responded either had good ones and experiences, 

or Rose Tinted Glasses and signed the VWG 3 Monkey Pledge.

Hear, See & Speak of nothing bad about our Product.

'It was only 2 rogue IT Engineers', hundreds of Testers, Development & Design Engineers, Heads of Departments, & Motoring Journalists that got us to where we are today'.  

FOUND OUT.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/skoda/yeti/sports-utility-vehicle/owner-reviews

Personally, I'll have my splendid Yeti sorted when it's at my dealer for a service. No manic rush is there?

Confused as to why a non-specified keyless entry vehicle that was 'hacked' in Wales has been highlighted. Or the number of posts people have made on Briskoda - I'm sure that Graham doesn't win that score anyway, so why mention it? And now, if I read it correctly, we're into Yeti bashing. Calm down, dear.....

We are not Speculating either.  

Just waiting for Honesty from the Volkswagen Group, and tell what they know.

No need for holding off until they 'Have Completed Enquiries'.     Announce what they do know as they know it, clearly in English.

It greatly reduces 'Speculative Media Reporting' Or Speculation among owners and others.

'Advancement through technology' / Truth in Engineering'. 

Spend on Fixes not on Lawyers maybe.

http://bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-14/vw-has-spent-two-years-trying-to-hide-a-big-security-flaw

<SNIP>

I read somewhere today one person's trade-in valuation had dropped  £2000 and the professional compilers  of Car Values  expect 5% to be wiped of by the end of the month. I doubt they are engaging in boring  speculation.

OK, let's pursue this a bit further:

Professional compilers of car values expect 5% to be wiped off at some future point. Are there such people as "Amateur" compilers of car values?

An unnamed individual's trade-in valuation had dropped by £2000 according to something you read "somewhere".

It seems reasonable to calculate that he was talking about some unnamed car worth at least £40,000 on trade-in, therefore about £60,000 before he drove it off the forecourt?

Perhaps he should consider looking for a "Keeper" next time round?

;)

• Like 1

There are now 1821 posts in this thread.

About 1800 say approximately the same thing, namely:

"We don't really know what has happened, we don't understand what the relationship between the US emission regulations and the rest of the world's is, we have no idea what is going to happen next as VW haven't told us yet. We'll keep repeating the same old speculations round and round in circles because we can't be bothered to read all 61 pages, but are determined to say something about it"

I'm just going to wait until we actually KNOW something.

• Like 1

I've been reading this thread for some time and so I'm going to put in my two cents.

Any regulator may feel that the cheat mode (the mode that the engines do when only two wheels are moving) is what was certified. So, that VW must live up to that. If not then VW have to deal with a whole lot of cars which are not certified to be on the road. The certified mode presumably gives the advertised acceleration, fuel economy, etc. However, on the road EA 189 equipped cars do something different - probably something that more likeable to drive and clearly more polluting. So, it may be likely that any change will mean that although the car performs differently it will still perform as advertised.

In terms of the pollution aspect, VW might simply have been kind to the drivers purse by making the pollution control measures life longer in real world use. Alternatively, these measures might have been underspecified (and so cheaper to VW) and able to function as certified long enough to get through testing but not for real life driving. That being the case VW could fairly easily switch software of the cars so that they used cheat mode - the certified mode - all of the time. This would mean that the cars were on the road as certified. However, the DPF and other pollution control measures would clog and wear out. So, it sounds like they may need upgraded...

Part of my reason for thinking this is that when we first got our car, a new 2010 1.6 TDI Roomster in August the DPF kept filling up. Most of our driving was short distances up and down hill in traffic. (So not ideal for the car.) Most weeks the DPF light would come on and then we would need either that journey or the next to take it for a much longer drive until the light went off. This lasted until the car went into limp mode (I think that it was actually the second time it went into limp mode) and the chap who came out to sort it told us that there was a software update. I wonder now if we were initially driving in the certified mode. I think that our car was one of the earliest of the 1.6 common rail engines and so the issues that we were having may have been fixed with the cheating version of the software.

• Like 1

VW deserve everything they gonna get. Following the performance I had with my oil gobbling Fabia vrs which had a new bottom end at 8000 miles I moved back to diesels. Read the threads on the Fabia engine faults If you don't know.about it. I was treated like I didn't know what I was on about when I said it had excessive oil consumption.no apology etc when it had a new bottom end fitted so I traded it for a deisel . Now I find out that the car I bought won't be the one I get back regarding mpg and power etc.Its about time they have a kick up,the arse. I for one have registered with Gordon and Slaters regarding any up and coming litigation. I don't care if it's only a half hour fix etc I was lied to and I'm fed up of big business treating people like 3 year olds. Take my car give me my money back and I'll go elsewhere . No more VAG for me ever again. Been bitten once with the Fabia was bad enough so this is just an insult.

• Like 1

<SNIP> I'm fed up of big business treating people like 3 year olds. Take my car give me my money back and I'll go elsewhere . No more VAG for me ever again. Been bitten once with the Fabia was bad enough so this is just an insult.

Ooohhh, goody, keep us posted!

When you have found a car manufacturer that cares more for their customers than for their profits make sure that we all know about it :)

• Like 1

It can wait until a scheduled dealer visit for a service ;)

Which is what I will probably do, but it still means taking SWMBO shopping in Swansea!!

I wonder what they make of this?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/yeti/84691/best-used-car-to-buy-skoda-yeti

• Like 1

^^^^ Excellent as a Used buy.   'Much Cheapness and VFM. As low as £5,000 and dropping rather quickly.

Like many Diesel Skoda, VW, Seat & Audi. & 1.2 TSI & 1.4 TSI (Petrols)

Buyer Beware though,

Check the Service History, check the Warranty Work and Service Campaigns are all done.

Inspect the bodywork very very closely for the known poor Quality Control from the Factory, and check very

closely any remedial work done.

Special attention with Skoda Yeti needed. Previous Corrosion correction and missing Exterior Trim.

Bid low on them, there are lots of lemons out there, Diesel and Petrols.

Be sure you can get a Skoda Extended Warranty on them, as out of Manufacturers Warranty they are a Lottery.

To sum up, do not pay too much for them, or believe they are scarce, there are plenty around used 

and Book Prices are optimistic.

VW deserve everything they gonna get. Following the performance I had with my oil gobbling Fabia vrs which had a new bottom end at 8000 miles I moved back to diesels. Read the threads on the Fabia engine faults If you don't know.about it. I was treated like I didn't know what I was on about when I said it had excessive oil consumption.no apology etc when it had a new bottom end fitted so I traded it for a deisel . Now I find out that the car I bought won't be the one I get back regarding mpg and power etc.Its about time they have a kick up,the arse. I for one have registered with Gordon and Slaters regarding any up and coming litigation. I don't care if it's only a half hour fix etc I was lied to and I'm fed up of big business treating people like 3 year olds. Take my car give me my money back and I'll go elsewhere . No more VAG for me ever again. Been bitten once with the Fabia was bad enough so this is just an insult.

Exactly, to what extent we have been duped remains to be seen and hopefully the lawyers will hammer  until they get satisfaction, on our behalf. But  that we have been duped is not in doubt because of which existing V A G Group vehicle owners have had our confidence shaken to whom must be added would be intending purchasers who will at least think twice now. Values will be affected and Leasing companies will be hit .  Someone here thinks he knows more than  the Autocar  staff, but which I doubt, despite the length of time he has posted on this w/site.  When one reads of the autobox problems, this Fabia expose', the problems with the drive shaft of oil pump of the PD engines, one wonders re VAG's competence. The first diesel I bought was a Passat estate, one lady owner ( genuine! ) with 27k  on the clock. By the time I sold it to a friend, who, had it checked over by a BMW  mechanic relative, it had  done 67k. I have a friend who managed a fleet of vehicles (500 ) who naturally had many friends in the trade and he told me 10 years ago it is well known in the trade 1/3rd of V W engines  "blow -up " at circa 85,000 miles. The one I sold to my friend did get beyond that mileage but it did go bust, and so did the replacement engine. So V W need to watch their P's and Q's, 'cos it ain't all rosy in their  garden. My faith has been pulled back quite a bit and whereas I was intending to change my Superb next year and go petrol, I  may well even go further  and depart the V A G Group's products.

• Like 1

1.4 Twincharger Engines ,

Under 1.4 Engine of the Year 9 times, and 5 years in a row.

VWG never ever admitted to any Fundamental Design or Manufacturing Faults,

Components, or Quality Control from 2009-2014 with the Euro 5 Emission Engines.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Then there is the 1.8 TSI & 2.0 TSI engine issues, high oil consumption and other failures.

It is just the VWG way,  admit nothing.

Source Cheap and Source Cheats if needs must.

Pay the Senior Management Multi Millions in Pay Bonuses and Pension off payments.

Now I find out that the car I bought won't be the one I get back regarding mpg and power etc.

Do you know what the difference will be after the fix?