Hutchysrs50 - 8th Fabia... Special edition

hutchysrs50

Hasn't helped me decide lol.. I think I might just need to go for it and see it for myself..

I followed a Fabia home today that had a shark-fin aerial - I've not seen one like it before, but it didn't look good.. looked too big and bulky.. could of been from a BMW actually.

Where did you grab your aerial from?

Fitted my other headlights while I make another set, ended up with a few different pair, standard, genuine xenon, DIY xenon and Angel eye!

Got standard xenons in at the minute, again with depo style satin black inserts. Very disappointed with them compared to the set I made, light output is quite poor so going to try some new D2S bulbs, 5000k to try them insted of 6000k previously.

Also going to polish up a spare set of lenses I've got so they look like new again.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by hutchysrs50

I have the factory xenon's and I'm not sure if it's just me but the lenses don't look quite right. Can't put my finger on why though.

What do you mean?

On mine or all of them?

I don't mind much as I have spare lenses which I'm going to polish up and fit them to the xenons.

Edited by hutchysrs50

Should have made that clearer. On mine at least when you look dead on the lenses look like there not sitting right. Might just be mine or might just be the design of the lights.

I'm tempted to retro fit a set of hids like you've done.

Should have made that clearer. On mine at least when you look dead on the lenses look like there not sitting right. Might just be mine or might just be the design of the lights.

I'm tempted to retro fit a set of hids like you've done.

Ah right, I get you!

I've got to say... Having removed my retro-fitted ones and put OEM ones in, OEM is awful!!

I'm going to buy some new bulbs and try some 5000k bulbs with the standard ballasts and see if they improve, if not the genuine will be up for sale and sticking some DIY ones back again.

Can't believe how disappointed I am, the DIY have a very bright, crisp and clear light with a super clear cut off line, light up the floor nicely and quite far ahead as shown in some of the pictures I took.

I'm back at work tomorrow so going to do a comparison picture from the same place with genuine xenons to the DIY xenons.

Edited by hutchysrs50

Just taken some photos in exactly the same place as before, you can definitely tell the difference in light output. I know the left light needs adjusting up but over all... Not near as bright!

Current Genuine OEM Xenons

image.jpg

Before, retro-fitted xenons

image.jpg

The trouble is getting the lights, since I made the how to guide the wanted section has flooded with people wanting lights so most cheap sets have been snapped up! :D

Basically giving it some time before I buy any more. Will pm you anyway, got 2 other people asking for them! :P

Mine are alright, bracket that sits behind bumper on drivers side has been removed (doesn't look broken). Lenses could do with a polish.

Managed to do both projectors yesterday, lenses came off fairly easy after 7mins at 75 degrees in the oven.

Mine are alright, bracket that sits behind bumper on drivers side has been removed (doesn't look broken). Lenses could do with a polish.

Managed to do both projectors yesterday, lenses came off fairly easy after 7mins at 75 degrees in the oven.

Good to hear, its not a bad job really!

I dont use the oven, just a hair dryer in a box :D

I've split 3 pair this way now and they all work fine, aslong as the glue goes warm they pull apart. Im sure leaving them in some bright sunlight for a while would work just the same!

I've currently got...

standard xenons

standard lights x 2

diy projectors

DRL aftermarket ones

so got plenty of lights to play about with!

Edit: One of the things i havnt done much with is wet sanding the lights to see how they polish up. 

Edited by hutchysrs50

I'm just looking at which clear coat will do the best job, may as well do that whilst the lenses are off. The lacquer on the set I have is cracked on the bottom half of the lens

I'll probably just get a bodyshop to do mine, I get them to do all my painting even though im not bad at it myself...

I bet they will only change me £5 to do them so its the price it would cost me to buy some anyway!

They have painted my grille and headlight inserts in the past and just dropped the headlight washers off yesterday, which i'll post up shorly actually :D

• 2 weeks later...

Another small one, got this deliverd to my work yesterday, didn't have my name on so the full office had a play around with it before it got to me :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

So standard looks like this...

image.jpg

Pull it out and pop the new one in like this...

image.jpg

And folds out like this!

image.jpg

• Like 4

Another small one, got this deliverd to my work yesterday, didn't have my name on so the full office had a play around with it before it got to me :D

Yep, transferred one of these between Fabias back in the day :)

Just make sure you get a decent sized bottle in it, as if it's not big enough it'll tend to go into either footwell when the first corner appears :D

• Like 1

Do you have a part number for that cup holder? I've bought one in the past and it wasn't right, was too square on the opposite side of the hinge. Had a pop out next to radio one on the last Fabia, what a waste of time...

Here is where I bought this exact cup holder from

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/fabia-rear-ashtray-2000-2007-36705

I bought a drink bottle for my little girl that fitted in this, was a god send in the fabia. I always thought it was nice to have these daft little extras ticked off as well as I'm sure Hutchy will agree! :-)

sent from my OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

Well... A poor update if any... I should be ashamed.

- I've never washed it in a few weeks, so it's filthy.

- Every other time I start it, I get a coolant warning light on the dash.

- The throttle pedal is sticking so idle varies from 800rpm to 1800rpm.

- 1st and reverse gear are becoming a pain to select.

- despite sealing the rear door, it seems it's leaking still, looks like it's leaking from the top as the very top seal is hanging down.

Nothing to fancy or expensive but feel like I'd rather just sell up and buy a MK2 Monte.

It's a shame to hear that, those problems bar the gerbox should only cost £50 to sort out.

When I was at unit 18 with my gear box Ali did say that the amount of o2m gearboxes that he's had to send off for rebuilds last year where roughly one a week.

• Like 1