Hill Hold/Auto Hold

Firstly, it looks like I'm coming back to the fold. I signed up to this site in 2003 and since then I've had a mk1 Superb, a 56 plate petrol Octavia vRS and a mk2 Superb. My current company 5 series is due for replacement so I thought I'd come back to a quality marque!

I'm ordering a SE L Executive 150 6 speed manual, and I'm getting a little confused between the standard Auto Hold and the £100 option of Hill Hold.

In my current manual 5 series, I stop on an incline, handbrake off, holding on the foot brake, 1st gear engaged. As my right foot leaves the brake and transfers to the accelerator the car "holds" whilst I make the transition.....this is all I want my Superb to do.......will Auto-Hold do this or do I need Hill-Hold?

I did do a search and found a thread talking about the 2 systems but I couldn't understand it! As I say I just want the car to behave the way my current BMW does.

Cheers in advance for any info.

Dan

Also, I forgot to ask, does the electric hand brake release itself as you pull away like Renaults do (I'm guessing not because then you wouldn't need hill hold) or is it like BMW where you have to release the handbrake using the switch?

Dan

Hi Dan, I've not got hill hold but the auto hold seems to do what you're describing, it holds the brake until you start to lift the clutch. I come out of work on a ramp and there's no roll back. The parking brake also automatically releases in the same way. Never have to touch the buttons, very clever actually.

That was only on the first F60's. The newer ones now auto release.

I didn't know that, when I first drove it I thought it was broken as the hand brake didn't release when you lifted the clutch. My wife's 2004 Scenic auto released so I just expected it.

I'm pretty clear where I stand now; if the handbrake releases itself as you pull away (this is the manual I'm talking about) I can't see what hill hold would add.

Dan

I'm confused why I ordered hill hold control for £100 on a manual 150PS L&K when autohold is supplied as standard.

So: turn OFF autohold; brake on an incline, without having put the parking brake on. You get a couple of seconds of brakes held on so you can remove foot from brake pedal, engage gear and accelerate forward.

But with autohold turned on, you can come to a stop on an incline, release the brake pedal, the car is held with the brakes on, and when you engage forward gears and move off, the brakes are released.

I'm curious what difference / benefit one is over the other. Autohold seems to be the better option?

I'm confused why I ordered hill hold control for £100 on a manual 150PS L&K when autohold is supplied as standard.

I'm curious what difference / benefit one is over the other. Autohold seems to be the better option?

£100 to Skoda? From what I'm reading they seem to be the only ones who benefit from it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

my SE business estate has auto hold but no hill hold assist. The auto hold works almost exactly like hill hold assist though, certainly no roll back on the huge hill I live on.

• Like 1

I think the auto hold is great. Dab the brakes till the green light comes on then it just releases when your ready to go. I'd say save your money.

Also when you park up autohold comes on. Cars goes into start stop and turns off. Take the key out and the light goes from green to red as the hand brake is applied.

The car literally does everything for you.

• Like 1

My current Fabia Mk3 Manual with Hill Assist (that I paid for) essentially does the following: come to a standstill... At an incline (upwards or downwards), press on the brake firmly, then when you release the break for whatever reason the car holds onto the footbrake for a few seconds before letting go to make the car roll forward/backwards.

Now of course with my manual handbrake (and therefore no "Auto-hold"), this proves very useful in any circumstances with an incline. But where I feel it is exceptionally useful is doing a 3 point turn on a narrow country/suburban Road with noticeable cambers... Using the Hill Assist it stops the car from rolling forward or backwards as you make quick changes in direction forward and backwards to complete a turn in road.

Is it worth the additional £100 on a manual Superb Mk3 with Auto Hold as standard across the board? I think not. But at times when you're not stationary long enough to enable the Auto-hold system to engage... Then I can see where it can come in handy... Such as slowly crawling up a ramp in a busy queue for a multistorey car park.

Edited by Dilz

On the Skoda Uk config site for a SE business Hill hold control is £100 option, but then on the PDF it shows it as standard.

Then no mention of Autohold.

So, does a SE Business have the auto Hill hold control which holds the brakes for a couple of seconds ?

On the Passat with manual gearbox, when you brake to a stop it automatically applies a temporary handbrake. If you pull off it disengages, and if you turn the engine off it engages the permanent handbrake - it sounds like the superb has a similar system as standard?

My SE Business has the hold on it if you press the foot break when you come to a stop you get a green 'P' light on the dash. As you move again it disengages. When you stop and turn the engine off the hand break (EPB) engages and you get a red 'P'. All of this is enabled or disabled with the button near the gear stick.

I think the auto hold is great. Dab the brakes till the green light comes on then it just releases when your ready to go. I'd say save your money.

Also when you park up autohold comes on. Cars goes into start stop and turns off. Take the key out and the light goes from green to red as the hand brake is applied.

The car literally does everything for you.

Auto hold is quality bit of kit

My SE Business has the hold on it if you press the foot break when you come to a stop you get a green 'P' light on the dash. As you move again it disengages. When you stop and turn the engine off the hand break (EPB) engages and you get a red 'P'. All of this is enabled or disabled with the button near the gear stick.

Is that with the optional hil hold. Or the standard auto hold.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody had issue with the electronic hand brake not releasing?

Over the last 50 miles or so mine has failed to release 3-4 times. I think only the green (P) is on at the time since it has always been when pulling away from a junction. You can give it loads of revs but nothing happens other than the clutch smelling a bit warm.

Obviously isn't right but I want to go to Skoda with a few less variables so they can at least recreate the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hill hold control is standard on the SEL-exec but you can still spec it for £100. so Jaytip looks like you are right. 

£100 to Skoda? From what I'm reading they seem to be the only ones who benefit from it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk