Noisy on the road?

Hi All

I've heard a couple of people mention that the Superb is noisy on the motorway from wind/tyre noise.  Any one have any feelings on noise levels?  I'm looking at getting one and will spend my life opn the motorway so would be an issue for me.  Unfortunately my local dealer is not close enough to a motorway for me to test the car at speed.

Thanks

Noise is very subjective. So all I can tell you is that, on the motorway, my L&K is quieter than the C class estate I swapped and SWMBO S type jag. The most noticeable noise is from the tyres, wind noise is hardly anything at all. But as I said, noise is subjective. Maybe I am just a bit deaf after all ;)

• Like 1

I'm one of the ones who's mentioned it. I drove home today with the stereo off to get a good idea about how good/bad it is.

There is definitely more tyre noise than I expected but more so in the wet (which is pretty much all its been since I picked it up).

There is also more engine "drone" than I expected. It's at a bit of an annoying frequency so you notice it if the stereo is off.

Neither are really bad though, just louder than I expected and a shame as the car is largely so refined. Definitely louder than my previous two or three cars (golf, caravelle, mondeo).

If we were to compare it to a Octy 3 VRS estate, which is louder ? The vRS i did best part of 600 miles plus in i found it was a bit nosiy on the motorway compared to other cars.

Road surface is key here though as some fresh sections of tarmac can be silent where as concrete sections or worn tarmac can be very loud

It depends a lot of what type of road (karmac, concrete) are you driving and which type of tyres the car wear. I have recently changed the tyres in my Superb II Combi, 225/40 18. The Continental were too noisy so when they had to be replaced I went for Dunlop. Muuuuuuch quieter.

I drove a S3 for a whole day and I found it silent, not noisy at all.

• Like 1

As others have mentioned above, the type of road surface plays a BIG part (concrete aside, because that is noisy regardless of what you drive) regarding road noise.

I do a lot of motorway work-mainly M4, and there are a number of sections where I get quite a lot of tyre roar, and then in an instant when I drive onto a recently resurfaced section, it's whisper quiet.

My car is a SII by the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try a smartphone decibel app to get some comparison readings.

I find the new Skodas dont have much road noise insulation, and some tyres are very noisy.

I had an Audi A4 Avant and went to a SuperB 2. To me it felt like the Superb possibly had only a single bulkhead and perhaps the Audi a double one. The engine in the Superb just felt a little closer and less insulated. I have an Audi A7 at the moment, but am planning to downgrade to a Superb3 to save on the monthly BIK etc. The A7 is incredibly quiet, particularly on the motorway. I thinking that this will be the one thing I will really miss. i hoping a swap from a 3.0l diesel to a 2.0 petrol might offset this a little.

I had an Audi A4 Avant and went to a SuperB 2. To me it felt like the Superb possibly had only a single bulkhead and perhaps the Audi a double one. The engine in the Superb just felt a little closer and less insulated. I have an Audi A7 at the moment, but am planning to downgrade to a Superb3 to save on the monthly BIK etc. The A7 is incredibly quiet, particularly on the motorway. I thinking that this will be the one thing I will really miss. i hoping a swap from a 3.0l diesel to a 2.0 petrol might offset this a little.

Audi A4 Avant is an inline orientated (front->rear) engine but Superb 2 is transverse (The Superb I was the same orientation as the A4 though)

However my Superb II petrol is very refined so hopefully the Superb III is even better

Edited by bigjohn

• 11 months later...

Audi A4 Avant is an inline orientated (front->rear) engine but Superb 2 is transverse (The Superb I was the same orientation as the A4 though)

However my Superb II petrol is very refined so hopefully the Superb III is even better

My superb 3 (600 miles) on 18" Continentals seems quite intrusive noise on motorway and seems to come from off-side front.  Does not sound like normal tyre 'rumble',bit more of a whine but responds to changes in road surface so guessing tyre related.